Another channel line up change at Comcast?

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
It is summer again, and once more Comcast is changing its channel listings, especially in the "lower cost" plans.

For instance, one of the staples I had gotten used to - Cartoon Network - has been pulled up to the pricier plans and taken off the cheaper ones. Not that I watched it a lot, but it is the only channel where Star Wars The Clone Wars can be seen.

Ugh. I know it's the nature of the business, but it always sucks when lineups change.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Be prepared for more changes to the "lower cost" plans. Comcast, and other legacy service providers, have been providing a very low-priced limited basic (B1) service, sometimes at a loss, because they were required to do so by local regulatory authorities. Now that DirecTV and Dish Network are providing over-the-air broadcast channels in many markets, those regulatory authorities are being stripped of their power. In some cases, legacy service providers have begun phasing out B1 service, paralleling their competitors' offering, i.e., requiring customers to pay about $50-$60 per month in order to have any service whatsoever.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Be prepared for more changes to the "lower cost" plans. Comcast, and other legacy service providers, have been providing a very low-priced limited basic (B1) service, sometimes at a loss, because they were required to do so by local regulatory authorities. Now that DirecTV and Dish Network are providing over-the-air broadcast channels in many markets, those regulatory authorities are being stripped of their power. In some cases, legacy service providers have begun phasing out B1 service, paralleling their competitors' offering, i.e., requiring customers to pay about $50-$60 per month in order to have any service whatsoever.
Oh, and now History is being taken out of the lower tier plans and kicked up to the pricier ones. Now that one was a favorite channel of mine, even though as of late it was airing a lot of unhistoric reality shows along the lines of Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars and Axe Men.

Might as well buy a DTV antenna and get off cable, for all the good Comcast is doing me.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
AFAIK, neither History nor Cartoon Network are available to you off of an over-the-air antenna. While Comcast, DirecTV and Dish Network would charge you more for them, at least they offer those channels to you.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
history / cartoon alternatives:

Online, you can see some of history and cartoon network full episodes. There's also Nick online, and for more cartoons there's disney.com and warner bros. (Loony tunes).

for over the air, there's PBS for both history and children's programming, and if you have an ION affiliate the QUBO sub channel is all childrens programming.

Really, for the kids shows, my kids are better off with PBS, theres no commercials and they can learn something.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Yes, if cable television doesn't offer you anything you consider worthwhile, then it is surely not worth having.
Exactly! I have been thinking about doing just that too since signing up for Netflix. It's just convincing the others in the house that it is a good idea! Also we have the bundle package and amazingly it looks like our price would go HIGHER if we ditched cable.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
AFAIK, neither History nor Cartoon Network are available to you off of an over-the-air antenna. While Comcast, DirecTV and Dish Network would charge you more for them, at least they offer those channels to you.
True. History and Cartoon Network are cable/satellite channels only. I would not get them if I were to ditch cable. As it is, it's not likely that I will be able to do that....but still, it feels good to vent.

Hehe. Breathe in; breathe out. Keep repeating, "It's just television." Ommmm... :D
It's just like when newspapers change their comics page....the need to vent comes and readers will complain about their strips being removed and not liking the new ones....then they get used to the new ones.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I might still have to forego what I get too as these changes roll in. I don't have the finances to pay more than what I am now, which is actually discounted. It will be sad beyond sad, though because I am pure TV generation.