Another Newbie Needing Help at Selecting an Antenna!

Hello All,

I live in the Mountains of East Tennessee 16-18 miles SE of Holston Mtn. which has repeater towers for the four channels in which I'm trying to receive. The more I research, the more confusing it gets. So I come to you in hope of some good suggestions.

My TV Fool Search Results based on my exact address:
TV Fool

The Channels I'm Trying To Receive Are:

WCYB-TV Low Band VHF RF-5 NBC 16.3 Miles
WJHL-TV High Band VHS RF-11 CBS 17.7 Miles
WEMT UHF RF-38 (39.1) Fox 16.3 Miles
WKPT-TV UHF RF-27(19.1) ABC 17.7 Miles

From what I can understand, to get the 4 channels I want, I need an antenna that will receive Low-band" VHF channels range from 2 - 6 (to get my chanel 5) and "high-band" VHF is channels from 7 - 13 and UHF channel range is from 14 – 69.
*My problem being as you know, many antenna don't receive Low Band VHF or if they do, the manufactures don't advertise them as such.
*What Brand/Model would you recommend that would have the Low Band VHS needed to fit my situation?
*What do you consider the better made brand for a medium range directional antennas?
*Would you recommend a pre-amp or amplifier in my situation? If so, what Brand/Model.

*I will Mount Antenna Outdoors.
*25'-50' from antenna to TV, depending on where I mount it.
*Single story house at gutter height - 10’ or Pole mount at end of house 10-20'.
*Our house has a Metal Roof.
*Signal must come through wooded area.
* There are two Mountain in-between antenna and transmitter towers

I,m currently using a wing type antenna like those on an RV mounted at gutter height-10'. and can get WJHL CBS Channel 11 and comes in very good. Once in a great while I will get WCYB-TV the Low Band VHF channel RF-5 NBC.

Thanks,
Dan

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings Dan, welcome to the Forum !

You might consider a taller Mast, that may help getting your signals up better.
Go back to TVFool, and redo your chart at 40', and see if that helps.
There are several (somewhat larger) Antennas which are Full Range we can recommend.

Looking forward to the new info...

:welcome: again, Dan.

The HD8200U (or 8200P) from Winegard might be just the ticket for your situation. Nobody can be 100% sure in the mountains. It's nearly impossible for TV Fool to be accurate with all the knife edge reflections and refractions you have to deal with. The 8200U is a little pricey, but I think you need the horsepower. It does a good job with low VHF, high VHF and UHF. Other possibilities are the HD7084P and the Channel Master CM5018 and CM5020 -- the 5020 has 11 more elements and is 1 to 3 dB stronger than the 5018. HD8200U would be my first choice.

It's lucky all the stations you want come from roughly the same direction -- even though that may NOT be the direction you eventually point the antenna. You'll need to experiment. That PBS station down at NM = -8.7 is tempting, but in a completely different direction. Luckily, many PBS stations broadcast over the internet.

It's even possible you'll get nothing. So I would shop for price, and a retailer with a reasonable return policy. I would try withOUT a preamp to start. That may be all you need, and on the other hand, if you can't even get the stronger stations without a preamp, adding one isn't likely to help.

Rick

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
... It's even possible you'll get nothing. So I would shop for price, and a retailer with a reasonable return policy. I would try withOUT a preamp to start. That may be all you need, and on the other hand, if you can't even get the stronger stations without a preamp, adding one isn't likely to help. Rick
Like Ricki, I also suggest the larger higher-gain antenna and it must be tried at a variety of heights including at ground level ... even just off of the ground. RF has unpredictable ways of working its way around hills into valleys and sneaking its way around corners. Look at the link below. It shows a functioning example of the 'ground wave effect'.

Jim

Classic Pete: Once More, Out To The DTV Fringe | HDTVexpert

Looking at your TV fool report. The first thought that comes to mind is to use one of the large Winegard, Channel Master, or Antennacraft all band antennas. My second thought would be to try a two antenna approach. If VHF signals are as strong predicted by TV fool an Antennacraft CS600 should work for WCBY, and WJHL. Keep in mind household electrical noise can easily kill a low band VHF signal. On the UHF side you will need all the help you can get I would suggest an eight bay, or one of the long boom UHF yagi antennas. Use an UVSJ to combine the two antennas. I do not have a lot of optimism about UHF signals surviving two mountains, and a wooded area. Antenna placement finding a location that works can be critical when trying to receiving 2 edge signals. Higher is normally better, but not always in mountain areas.
I started writing this yesterday. Jim and Rick both posted good advice. Jim thanks for the link that is one I had lost track of, and was looking for it a few days ago. The best price I came up with on a UHF yagi with good specifications.
Winegard HD-9032 UHF Prostar 1000 TV Antenna (HD9032) from Solid Signal
Best price I found on an eight bay.
Stellar Labs HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2430 (302430) | Stellar Labs

Steve

G

I live in kingsport, you may try for wcyb on uhf they now broadcast hd on both bands,i actually recieve both of them fox 39 and wcyb should not be an issue along with wkpt all 3 transmitt r rs are located almost on same path..wjhl might be the challenge