Question: Antenna advice for the in-laws

squirrel

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello!

I'm trying to decide on an antenna to purchase for the in-laws for Christmas. They just moved out to rural North Georgia and are trying to cut back on expenses as they head into retirement. We're just looking to pick up the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox); any other stations would be a bonus.

Here's the TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=dfafc96cc8b288

It looks like most of the major network broadcasters are about 70 miles to the NNE, in a 15-20 degree spread between Asheville, NC and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC.

I was initially very pessimistic given the range, but they actually get almost-passable reception with cheap, leaf-style antennae in the windows. They don't get ABC with the current orientation, and they report a fair amount of artifacting, so I guess the signal quality is probably hit or miss.

They have two TVs, the one on the front/north side of the house does much better than the one in the back/south, I'm guessing because of the metal roof on their mobile home. They really only care about the one in the back of the house, though.

Two questions:
* What antenna antenna/type would you recommend? I'm guessing one of the longer-range directional models? Would they need a rotator?
* Should I even try reusing the existing DirecTV mounting pole and coax? If I remember correctly, I'd need to extend that to get above the metal roof. Just trying to save some time so that I'm not spending ALL day on Christmas re-wiring....

Thanks in advance. I'm new to all of this and haven't had the time to do all the research I would normally try. And I'm trying to plan/troubleshoot a setup for someone else without having all of the details, so... Thanks!

-Squirrel