Antenna & Confusion

Hello all..

I've got some problems here. We've only been able to get 1 analog station at my home the past 20 years. If we were lucky...we could get a fuzzy CBS once in a while. My TV is digital...I've gone out and purchased a Trek indoor antenna w/ pre-amp. I have adjusted it repeatedly...tried next to window etc. I cannot get a digital signal. I've scanned every time I adjust the antenna. What am I doing wrong? Or will I no longer be able to watch TV at all?

Any help would be great. I've gone to tv fool...and I'm pointing it in the right direction.

The antenna is rated for 45 miles...the closest station is 23 miles away.

Would shutting off the pre-amp possibly help? I don't have a rooftop antenna and I honestly don't think I could afford one.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
What's the terrain like next to your house? Hilly? Forest? Most indoor antennas can only receive digital signals from 15-20 miles away, so the one tower that's 23 miles away might be pushing it. How far away are the rest of the towers?

Sorry bout that...

I live in the Adirondack Mountains.

Zip is 12941.

A lot of our "local" stations are 50 miles away. I'd like to just be able to get one.
everything you have is 2 edge trek will not work, you need an outdoor antenna that can be tilted to over come the hills. you will need a rotator to get more than one channel as the closest is about 90 degrees from the rest. Antenna Direct 91-xg tilted to 15 degrees with wineguard 4800 pre amp and a channel master 9251a rotator can be purchase from solidsignal.com should solve the problem or give you your best shot at all networks.:)

So I'm looking at three times what I've spent and then installing an outdoor antenna.

Yikes.

Can anyone tell me the best place to get a bundle (or who has the lowest prices) and how high up I need to put this antenna? I haven't dealt with an outdoor antenna since I was 10 and that was watching it fall to the ground after a bad blizzard :)

Last edited:
So I'm looking at three times what I've spent and then installing an outdoor antenna.

Yikes.

Can anyone tell me the best place to get a bundle (or who has the lowest prices) and how high up I need to put this antenna? I haven't dealt with an outdoor antenna since I was 10 and that was watching it fall to the ground after a bad blizzard :)
the 91-xg has a low wind load and does not collect snow as some so it should not be a problem place it about 20ft up or better. solidsignal.com has the best prices on the antenna supplies.:)
you could get by without the rotator if the stations in one direction were enough for you you have a whole set of networks at 74 degrees at 46 miles I would set the antenna at 20 -30 ft and tilt it 15 degrees up the mount has this ability that comes with the antenna.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that...

I live in the Adirondack Mountains.

Zip is 12941.

A lot of our "local" stations are 50 miles away. I'd like to just be able to get one.
Ouch, yeah, that indoor antenna will not work for those stations. Get an outdoor, and mount it high! You're probably looking at spending another $100 or so...I would definitely recommend a rotator.