Antenna for 3G USB Modem

JamesL

DTVUSA Rookie
Anyone here have experience with improving 3G cellular reception? I'm with Verizon and I can't get anything better than 1-2 bar for reception. My modem has an external input for an antenna.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
:welcome:

Have a look at this vendor's cellular antenna page. As you'll see, there are plenty of solutions for this common problem. This firm is by no means the only one on the Internet which sells this gear, it merely happens to be the only one having a link that I was aware of.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Anyone here have experience with improving 3G cellular reception? I'm with Verizon and I can't get anything better than 1-2 bar for reception. My modem has an external input for an antenna.
My experience with cell phone antennas.

1) Yagi antennas are terrible, avoid wasting time and money.

2) The cheapest solution that gives the more reception is a very tall vertical. I used one like the truckers put on their mirror and put it on the top eave of my roof at 15 ft up and it worked better than anything.

3) If you have bucks to spend and know the direction of the cell tower a panel antenna is a good solution. Often can be mounted under the eave flat against the house.