Question: Antenna gives different TVs different channels

U

Unregistered

I have a digital antenna mounted on a wall near my TV and supplies this TV and the home cabling. The TV near the antenna receives 20 channels but the TV that is connected through the home cabling only receives 4 channels. I have a splitter off the antenna and an amplifier at the distant TV. I've also tried to put the amplifier at the antenna output before going into the other TV and the wall.

Any suggestions on how to get the same channels on both TVs?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

An amplifier pushes signals and in your situation, you are trying to pull them. If the signals are lost within the wiring of your home and you try to amplify whatever remains, it could result in exactly what you are experiencing. Nothing amplified gets you nothing.

As a first try, move the amplifier up to the splitter (insert it) on the coax that feeds the house. Report back.

We also need to know what you are using for an amplifier because some add so much noise to the RF signals, TV tuners cannot decipher signal from noise, which also results in no picture.

Jim

cgorney

DTVUSA Rookie
I've registered now... thank you for the reply. The antenna is RCA : Antennas : ANT1450BR and the amplifier is RCA : Search : VH140 : Home and the splitter is RCA : Search : VH47 : Home . I started with the amplifier splitting the signal to the TV and the wall. Then I moved the amplifier downstream of the splitter. Then I moved the amplifier downstream of the wall (between the wall and the other TV). No change in the channels received downstream. Is it possible that the TV has limitations? It's a recent flat LCD model so that really hasn't occurred to me.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Can you move the TV in question to the location where the antenna is and try it hooked to the antenna directly? That would eliminate (or confirm) the tuner as the source of your problems.

cgorney

DTVUSA Rookie
I've done the idiot check and it worked. The TV in question was not set for "antenna" it was still set for "cable". Magically, this fixed the problem. I even took the amplifier out of the equation and it still works. Chalk another one up for the idiot.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
cgorney,

No no no! Not an idiot at all. You would be surprised how often an unknown or forgotton "item" becomes a simple fix. Trust me - I've been been there done that many times per other "simple" errors over many years.

Jim

PS :welcome: to the Forum!

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I've done the idiot check and it worked. The TV in question was not set for "antenna" it was still set for "cable". Magically, this fixed the problem. I even took the amplifier out of the equation and it still works. Chalk another one up for the idiot.
More like a rookie (or old-pro) mistake. It's really easy to overlook really simple things.