Antenna help (CM 4221)

Ok guys......first let me say hello and i am new to the forum and new to "cutting the cord" and in the process.

I just mounted my Channel Master 4221HD and getting really marginal performance.

Here is the link to my tvfool print out.

TV Fool

I've turned the antenna different directions and can't pick up my local ABC (Channel 30 KFSN) however I pick up KAIL which is the same azimuth and distance as KFSN. Also the KAIL comes in no matter which way I have the antenna pointed.

Also I am getting KERO, which is a station in Bakersfield almost due south (148 degree azimuth) of me 70 miles away when the antenna is pointing the opposite direction. I even tried pointing the antenna the opposite direction thinking maybe it was backwards for some odd reason but same result. I would think I should be getting station on the same azimuth and distance as the KAIL station.

My antenna is about 20 to 25 feet high on a short mast. I've enclosed a photo too. In the photo it's about 336 degrees magnetic azimuth and I'm getting the KERO station which is in the opposite direction. I also get the Spanish station KNSO which is also the same distance and azimuth as what I want to get.

Not sure if I got the wrong antenna or just a bad one but I have a pretty good line of sight and seems to be working 70 miles away to the south.

Any info or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
A5D0121F-5CA0-47D1-8E1E-6B08992816AC.jpg

G

Just a quick update so no one wastes their time replying.

First let me say I'm an idiot...LOL

I did some more research and figured out the problem. I thought when I switched over to channel scan in TV mode that it was scanning the antenna. Well it wasn't, I had to change it to the antenna input instead of what it was set on (cable).

Now its picked up everything I wanted and needed as well as stations due south 70 miles away.

Thanks for your assistance and looking forward to learning more and getting rid of cable. Just waiting on the Apple TV to get here now.

:welcome: Vizpa,

Nice neighborhood! At this point I'm not even sure your 4221HD is hooked up to anything. All the stations you are getting are VHF stations and the 4221HD is not a VHF antenna. I bet if you disconnected it completely, you'd get the same stations, just coming off the coax or something.

You can tell VHF stations cause they have "Real" station numbers (as opposed to the virtual numbers that your TV displays) of 13 or less. You've mentioned 7, 10 and 11 so far. Not a UHF signal in the bunch.

It looks like you're pointed toward some trees and a power line that might cause some problems, but it certainly seems you should be getting SOMEthing with that excellent Fool report! I can vouch for the 4221HD -- that's my main antenna. Please double check all your connections and disconnect any amplifiers and splitters in the setup. Just try to get one clean signal to one TV before we panic and throw away that nice looking antenna. You could also try moving the 4221HD around to different spots on the roof, in case there's a signal trying to peek through the trees.

Rick

My first thought is similar to Rick's. It sounds like it could be a coax, connector, or balun problem. I've seen store bought pre-assembled coax cables that were bad right from the start causing loss of some but not all UHF channels. Are you scanning for air channels. Reception of VHF only can often be from scanning for cable channels.

Steve

A quick update...I am an idiot....LOL

it was connected properly, however I thought the TV went I put it on the TV setting it automatically went to the antenna. Well it didn't and I switched it to antenna then re-scanned. Now I get 91 stations including the locals and the ones to the south in Bakersfield and a bunch of station that I didn't even know existed (Grit tv, MeTv etc)

Now just have to wire up the other rooms and get the Apple TV connected......thanks for the replies. I'm sure I will be visiting the forums often.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Antenna Help (CM 4221)

How long is the run of coaxial cable that you are using? It often comes in pre-cut lengths like 25 or 50 feet. Also, what markings are on the shielding of the coaxial cable? Does it say RG-6 or RG-59 anywhere on it?

Reception of VHF only can often be from scanning for cable channels.
Shux, I dint eben no dat. Hey, at least I admit it promptly when I'm outclassed. :doh: Another data point to add to my vast store of knowledge. Didn't work that way on my TV -- I don't think. Maybe never tried.

Viz, how many rooms are you splitting to? You can probably leave out an amplifier, if you get the right splitter. Less to break down in a thunderstorm...

Rick

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
91 channels is awesome. Heck I get 36 and consider that to be a significant improvement (which it is) over the 7 or so I got back in the days of analog.

Sometime down the road you may want to try adding a preamp to the antenna and see if you can top 100 channels. Radio Shack actually sells some pretty decent ones nowadays and if it doesn't help anything you can always return it.

Sometime down the road you may want to try adding a preamp to the antenna and see if you can top 100 channels. Radio Shack actually sells some pretty decent ones nowadays and if it doesn't help anything you can always return it.
I wouldn't add a preamp unless absolutely necessary, and I wouldn't count on Radio Shack for a return! They're closing 1100 outlets, and didn't announce which stores are on the list. Seems likely more will follow -- they've been losing money like a sieve.

Rick

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I wouldn't add a preamp unless absolutely necessary, and I wouldn't count on Radio Shack for a return! They're closing 1100 outlets, and didn't announce which stores are on the list. Seems likely more will follow -- they've been losing money like a sieve.

Rick
Why would anyone think it's a bad idea to try and maximize the number of television channels one can get? I just don't understand that logic at all and the op lives far enough from the towers that a preamp would likely be a beneficial addition to his antenna system.

Far as R.S. closing 1100 stores, that's the old news and is no longer a likely scenario. Things have changed since that number was announced back in march and the op has at least 5 R.S. stores within easy driving distance and the likelihood of all those stores closing is highly unlikely now or in the near future.

Why would anyone think it's a bad idea to try and maximize the number of television channels one can get? I just don't understand that logic at all and the op lives far enough from the towers that a preamp would likely be a beneficial addition to his antenna system.
Why would anyone think it's a GOOD idea to maximize the number of television channels you can get? I don't understand that logic -- I really, really don't. Say that next time you have to climb up on the roof in a snow storm because the amplifier shorted out and ya got ZIP.

Just look at his TV Fool report. There isn't a single thing below NM=26 that he can't get above NM=26, and it's all line-of-sight. Almost everything lower has cochannel interference. Why go for over 100 channels? Bragging rights? R U serious??

R.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Why would anyone think it's a GOOD idea to maximize the number of television channels you can get?
Well, that would give you more television channels.

I don't understand that logic -- I really, really don't.
Obviously.

Say that next time you have to climb up on the roof in a snow storm because the amplifier shorted out and ya got ZIP.
A lot can happen to an outdoor antenna during a snow storm. Balun, coax, the antenna itself can be damaged. Are you advocating not using an outdoor antenna at all? Myself, I've never had a problem with any of the above nor with the preamp during winter storms and last winter was a bad one with lots of snow storms. Lucky me, I guess.

Just look at his TV Fool report. There isn't a single thing below NM=26 that he can't get above NM=26, and it's all line-of-sight.
I'm happy that you checked to see what was on every single channel on the OP's TVFool report above and below NM=26. That must have took some time. If that's the case (and I doubt it) then my concern would be that one of the OP's favorite channels or subchannels would go out above the NM=26 mark and without a preamp it may not come in on an alternate channel below the NM=26 mark. Now do you see why more channels is always better?

Almost everything lower has cochannel interference.
My TVFool report shows both adjacent and co-channel interference on WCPO channel 9 from Cincinnati, plus it's a 2 edge signal yet it's the strongest Cincinnati channel around here, and I get all of the Cincinnati channels except WKRP.
Don't put a lot of stock in the co and adjacent channel claims on TVFool.

Why go for over 100 channels? Bragging rights? R U serious??
R.
Bragging rights and the simple fact that more TV channels will always be better.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Antenna Help (CM 4221)

I can definitely see both sides of this discussion. As an amateur radio operator, I have had a desire to see how far away I can receive signals of various types. Below is a URL for a forum for TV DX. That might be a forum that some here might like to take a look at.

WTFDA Forums

Tim, you completely ignore the fact that an amplifier costs money, and continues to cost money, and time and trouble, as it continues to break down in the years ahead. Maybe you don't realize the calculation they put in amplified antenna ads is a lie. You did realize that, didn't you?

Television stations are like age. Up to 29 or so you want more. By the time you reach 50 or 60 you wish it was less. Or in the immortal words of MrPogi, "I don't want people buying an amp they don't need."

Rick