Antenna ID help needed

TomW

DTVUSA Jr. Member
After fitting our travel trailer for an HD antenna, I was inspired to add one to the house in case of emergency, or when we finally decide the cable company is charging too much.

Today, I picked up these two antennae at a yard sale. I believe the top one is a dedicated HD-range-frequency antenna, and the bottom one is supposed to pick up everything.

Antennae.jpg

Did I ID the antennae correctly? Would a better picture help?

Thanks,
Tom

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The top one will do UHF (14-51) and the bottom will get VHF-hi (7-13) and UHF, but not VHF-lo (2-6). It looks similar to a ChannelMaster 2018, but the UHF section seems short.

Appear to be short-medium range, up to maybe 40 miles if there's no obstructions.

What did you pay?

Last edited:

TomW

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for your insight, MrPogi.

Don't get mad, but I only paid a dollar for BOTH because that's all he asked.

I know I got a bargain.

Tom

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The bottom photo looks like a Radio Shack VU-75XR. A good little short range all band TV antenna. Here is a link to a craigs list photo.
Radio Shack VU-75XR Antenna (VHF & UHF)
more links.
VU-75XR VHF/UHF/ FM Antenna 150-2151 Specifications
http://support.radioshack.com/support_video/doc61/61153.pdf
HDTV Primer site seems to be down, or I can't get there from here.
Thats it, Steve. Good detective work. I have a U-75r and its a great antenna. The entire Radio Shack linup was pretty good - too bad they stopped making them.

According to the specs, it DOES do VHF-lo and FM, too.

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Just curious TomW, where are you located at to where you'll be using those antennas? I wonder if you live in an area where the signals come from different directions, that you have a separate UHF only antenna. Where I live, I have signals coming from 3 directions for digital, when adding analog, then I have 4 directions. The 2 VHF analogs come from 2 directions, with one VHF coming from Chicago, along with the other digital stations, & 1 UHF analog. The other VHF comes from Ogden Dunes, IN, & that one might go off the air next year, as that community never submitted an application to flash-cut to digital. As for the other 2 directions, one LPTV UHF comes out of Downtown Gary Indiana, while the sole full power UHF comes out of Lake Dalecarlia (an unincorporated area between Cedar Lake & Lowell, IN). I only focus on Chicago & Lake Dalcarlia for my antennas in Gary, Indiana, as those directions have stations I watch. The one in Gary airs World Harvest TV, while the one in Ogden Dunes airs a 24 hour bulletin board in analog, & have no desire to watch analog, nor the bulletin board (even if the bulletin board channel were in digital).

I know for people who live in Porter & LaPorte Counties of Indiana use 2 antennas as well. They usually have medium to long range combo antennas for Chicago, & usually medium have range UHF only antennas for South Bend. For my sister in Wheatfield Indiana, those who have outdoor antennas have deep fringe antennas for both Chicago (combo antenna) & South Bend markets (UHF only).

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It should be noted that the reflectors aren't at the correct angle. They should be at approximately 90 degrees, not 30. They should snap out further. The blue plastic pieces are a sure sign of a RadioShack/Antennacraft antenna.

TomW

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Just curious TomW, where are you located at to where you'll be using those antennas? ...
I live in the southeast part of Huntsville, AL and have the UHF antenna pointed to Montesano Mountain where all the transmitters for this area are located.

Sadly, due to the terrain, I cannot pick up METV even though my antenna (mounted on a 10-foot mast anchored to the chimney) is pointed directly where the tower is, and the tower is only 20 miles away.

I haven't decided on whether to raise the antenna's height.

Tom

TomW

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It should be noted that the reflectors aren't at the correct angle. They should be at approximately 90 degrees, not 30. They should snap out further. ...
You are correct that the reflectors are not at the correct angle - I noticed that after the picture was taken.

But the correct angle for these antennae is more like 45 degrees because that is the only way the bolt holes lined up.

Tom