Question: Antenna options

jeff@cc

DTVUSA Rookie
I manage a high rise apartment building. All the units are wired for antenna but since everything went digital, I've had nothing but problems. I had a company come out and they installed converter boxes in line with my amplfiers but i keep having to replace a converter about once a month. Is there an easier way? I heard something about a dish instead of an antenna. Currently, the antenna is mounted on the roof.
What are my options?
Thanks!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I manage a high rise apartment building. All the units are wired for antenna but since everything went digital, I've had nothing but problems. I had a company come out and they installed converter boxes in line with my amplfiers but i keep having to replace a converter about once a month. Is there an easier way? I heard something about a dish instead of an antenna. Currently, the antenna is mounted on the roof.
What are my options?
Thanks!
There seems to have been MATV installers, who thought that MATV should simply be analog cable, who installed converter boxes in their systems. I don't understand the reasoning in that. You're replacing HDTV with analog SD. It would be a lot better to let the tenants be responsible for the converter boxes or digital TVs and just pass the digital signal from the antenna to the apartments. That way the tenants could actually have HDTV for free rather than the equivalent of pared down analog cable. There would also be a lot less equipment to service. I'd fire my MATV installer and find someone who understands the magic of free digital television.

How many apartments are we talking about, and how many outlets per apartment?

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
Jeff,

That's outrageous ! I can just imagine what a nightmare it is for you, to try to keep up with that. I've done MATV (Hospital not Apartment) and it can be almost effortless, once you settle who's responsible for what comes out the end of the wire.

I'd put a notice out immediately, and make the Tennant's responsible for acquiring their own Converter if they didn't want to go to a Digital TV Set.

One good thing is...
Given that you've got access to your Roof, you could have a "First Class" System, using multiple Antennas IF that was necessary to acquire as many Transmitters as were available. Don't misunderstand me, I believe the Tennant's have a responsibility, but, I'd want to provide them with the best reception available.

Additonally...
For those who would want to use a PTV (Cable TV) service, do you offer that to them, and if not, that may be an additional source of revenue for the Complex. IOW, you could buy a Package Deal from a Cable Company, and sell subscriptions to it, to the individual Tennant's.
I'm not saying to break the bank on that, but, it would provide you with some resources for maintenance of the system.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yep. I would pull the converter boxes out of the system and make the renters responsible for their own boxes / digital TV sets. You might want to stock a bunch of boxes for sale to your tenants for a couple bucks over cost. When they leave, they keep the box or sell it back to you for half price.

Good to see landlords installing MATV setups for their tenants. It provides a great value for tenants at little cost to the owner, and lets people "discover" that you don't have to pay for HDTV. And tenants not paying big $$$ for cable will have all that money available for more important things.

Like paying the rent.

(Edit: I'd love to see a story about a MATV install in an apartment building!)

Last edited: