Antenna Question

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi guys. I live in a dead zone so to speak. I can only get a couple channels at fairly low signal strength. I decided to upgrade my old Gemini A20 antenna and ordered a new Winegard HD 7084 to hopefully boost my signal. Its on its way.

My first question: Does anyone have experience with these antennas? Are they any good?

My second question: There is a channel that I want to get on VHF channel 5, but the NM according to TV Fool is -5.8 at the best spot in my yard. Is there any chance that I could get this channel reliably with the 7084 antenna and a pre-amp?

Thanks in advance.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
LoTech,

Please share your resulting TV Fool report (URL) including the maximum possible antenna height you can have. The software will automatically conceal your personal information.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
LoTech,

You have a really ugly TVFOOL report, not only because of the lack of signals but because the most (barely) promising channels span 3 bands: Low-band VHF, High-Band VHF and UHF. That means at least three different antennas are called for. Welcome to my world. Tim is spot-on :thumb: about TVFOOL not always being accurate. It is not very accurate in my location.

Consequently, I cannot say 'no way' but I assure you it will take a lot of work to establish dependable OTA in your location. I couldn't care less about the reported 'noise margin' because the stronger the signal you receive may overcome the increased noise: signal-to-noise-ratio. You have to have signal to start with and apparently you do. :becky:

Jim

Last edited:

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I guess I'll know when my new antenna arrives. Hopefully it will bring in channel 5. If not, I'm sure it will increase the reliability of WYMT, and WKHA. I may even try to get some of the other UHF channels with high noise margins. If I can pull them in I may purchase a UHF Yagi.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
LoTech,

I suggest you 'look' for HDTV signals and ignore anything regarding possible 'noise' that you seem to be focussed upon or obsessed about.

The DTVUSA Crew hasn't even begun to help you because the next step is for you to to 'walk' your antenna all over your roof to try to find a 'sweet spot. That means raising and lowering your antenna while you are walking/hunting for signals, probably on a slanted roof while you are trying to keep from falling off the roof. I've been there more than a thousand times. Good luck.

Jim

Last edited:
TVFool is only a guess. A mathematical calculation of what it should be. On top of all of that, the charts are very hard to read especially when there are many stations in the same direction.

It's too bad support for that 2150 site that was far superior ended a year ago. :angry:

Last edited:

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Interesting reception

Well I got my new HD 7084 a couple days ago, but we've had thunderstorms and flash floods for the last 4 or 5 days. Probably not a good idea to go fooling around carrying an antenna when it's lightening.

Well anyway, today I finally got around to getting it out of the box and onto a pole. I did a once over of my yard, back yard, roof, etc... not a peep of signal anywhere on channel 5 (WCYB). After that I decided to check the two channels I currently pull in fairly well 57.1 (12 - WYMT) and 35.1 (16 - WKHA). I figured that with the new Winegard outside my signal would be booming. Well.... sorta.

I found that my signal for both channels would swing erratically between about 60 and 98 on the signal meter on my Coolsat 8000 receiver. The signal would stabilize for a minute or two, and then swing again. Strangely enough, it did this no matter what direction I pointed the antenna except due Southwest (which had no signal). Doing the walk around again I found a spot in my back yard that locked the signal for both channels at about 95. The only thing... it was 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? Multipath maybe???

Fringe Reception

Staff member
LoTech,

It could easily be caused by multipath. Are you using good quality RG-6 with known-good connectors? Also, it sounds like you are only a few feet above ground level and its possible the ground is saturated with water and could be acting as an unpredictable reflector. What's the chance of hanging out of an upstairs window and testing from there or from your roof? Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Jim

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I wish I lived closer to you and we could test it out with my spectrum analyzer. That would definitely help figure out what position is best for reception in a challenging environment like yours.

- Trip

U

Unregistered

TVFool is only a guess. A mathematical calculation of what it should be. On top of all of that, the charts are very hard to read especially when there are many stations in the same direction.

It's too bad support for that 2150 site that was far superior ended a year ago. :angry:
Agreed.. BTW, videobruce, do you still have the CSS151 software for the RFM155 Tek Tempo unit still lying around? I seemed to have lost mine - again :(