Antenna questions

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello,
I live in between Chicago Il and Madison Wi. I have a CM4228 pointing North
connected to a CM4777 amp. The setup works great. I tried pointing the antenna
towards Chicago ( I am about 90 miles NW of Chicago) but could not receive any
channels. There are tall trees across the street, so I was not surprised. Many of the
Chicago stations are in the VHF band. Do you think it would help to install a VHF antenna
to try and pull in the Chicago stations? I have the CM4228 on a tripod on the garage. I also
have a 36' tilt down tower next to the house so I could mount the VHF element on that. Is there
an adapter that would split the signal so I could run one piece of coax to both antennas. Could I connect
the VHF antenna to the VHF jack on the 4777? I thought since VHF had longer range, I may be able to get
Chicago with the right antenna. I have received a couple of Chicago stations temporarily off the backside
of the CM4228, must have been the weather conditions...........

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: jlguler,

We can help but we need to see your antenna survey. Please go to TV Fool and fill in your information. It will run a free antenna survey for you and offer some generalized advice about what type of antenna is required to receive various stations at your particular location. Be sure to enter the maximum height above ground level where you can add a different antenna to your existing system. Then, copy and paste the resulting URL and post the it here. That website will automatically conceal your personal information. We also need to know the particular channels you want to try to add.

Yes, there are inexpensive devices that visually look like coaxial splitters or diplexers that are internally different: a UVSJ or a HLSJ combiner will allow you in some cases to add a second antenna to an existing coaxial downlead. There are other options as well.

Jim

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
:welcome: jlguler,

We can help but we need to see your antenna survey. Please go to TV Fool and fill in your information. It will run a free antenna survey for you and offer some generalized advice about what type of antenna is required to receive various stations at your particular location. Be sure to enter the maximum height above ground level where you can add a different antenna to your existing system. Then, copy and paste the resulting URL and post the it here. That website will automatically conceal your personal information. We also need to know the particular channels you want to try to add.

Yes, there are inexpensive devices that visually look like coaxial splitters or diplexers that are internally different: a UVSJ or a HLSJ combiner will allow you in some cases to add a second antenna to an existing coaxial downlead. There are other options as well.

Jim
Thanks Jim!!!
Here is the link: TV Fool

I currently receive many of the pink/red channels from Madison with 60-90 % signal. There are quite a few
in the pink/red that I currently do not get. Thanks again, this was informative!!!! I don't see many VHF stations,
I may have been wrong about that.......

John

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks Jim!!!
Here is the link: TV Fool

I currently receive many of the pink/red channels from Madison with 60-90 % signal. There are quite a few
in the pink/red that I currently do not get. Thanks again, this was informative!!!! I don't see many VHF stations,
I may have been wrong about that.......

John

As I study the chart, I realize there are quite a few channels from Madison we get
that are not on the chart.... Maybe if I had a rotor I could pick up more too.......

John

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
John,

Antenna rotors are terrific, although currently available 'modern' consumer-level models have plastic gears. Personally I wouldn't load one with more than a single 4228 (like you already have) and I'd cross my fingers.

From your TVFOOL report I see you have two CBS affiliates potentially available to you: WHBF-4 CBS and WISC-50. Channel 4 is low-band VHF and problematic for two reasons: the physical size of an antenna (likely) required to receive them and the fact that low-band VHF (2-6) is a poor place in the electromagnetic spectrum to locate a DTV channel do to interferences from other services including a kitchen blender. If you currently receive WISC-50, forget about WHBF.

I shot the above to you from my hip. It would really help if you provided a list of currently received channels and a second "wish list".

Jim

Last edited:

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here is what we currently get. All with the CM4228 pointed almost dead North.
50 (3.1) WISC
13 (13.1) WREX
19 (15.1) WMTV
16 (17.1) WTVO
20 (21.1) WHA
41 (23.1) WIFR
26 (27.1) WKOW
42 (39.1) WQRF
49 (47.1) WMSN
32 (57.1) WBUW

Here is the wish list:
33 WFBN
65 WDMW
45 (44.1) WSNS
5 (68.1) WWAZ
28 (4.1) WTMJ
25 (24.1) WCGV
10 (35.1) WWTO
35 (36.1) WMVT
43 (52.1) WWRS
South Stations:
10 (35.1) WWTO
35 (40.2) WFBN
28 (4.1) WTMJ

We are happy with what we have, but I like to tinker around.... If we could add any channels
that would be great. We get 22 currently with all the sub channels......

Thanks again,
John

Last edited:

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Channels

I also put my information in at rabbitears.info. That site showed quite
a few VHF channels in Chicago. The broadcast towers are 79 miles from me.
That might be expecting too much, but maybe a YA 1713 or comparable VHF
antenna would receive some of them.....I meant CM7777 for the amplifier, I had
it wrong in an earlier post.

John

Last edited:

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I also put my information in at rabbitears.info. That site showed quite
a few VHF channels in Chicago. The broadcast towers are 79 miles from me.
That might be expecting too much, but maybe a YA 1713 or comparable VHF
antenna would receive some of them.....I meant CM7777 for the amplifier, I had
it wrong in an earlier post.

John
From your location, getting Chicago stations will be rather difficult for any channel. With WMTV Madison being on RF 19, you have almost no chance of getting WGN-TV, also on RF 19. Same for WXFT on RF 50 (if you care about any Spanish language programming), due to WISC being on RF 50. If you lived east of Rockford instead of north of Rockford, you might have a better chance of getting Chicago stations. For some of us, we don't consider WWTO LaSalle a Chicago station, because it's almost 80 miles from Chicago, & even with their 80kw signal, it mainly reaches those in the far western suburbs. The FCC should really classify this station a Peoria station, since it's closer to Peoria than Chicago. WBBM-TV & WLS-TV are the only ones who have full power stations on the VHF (WLS-TV also has RF 44, which is supposed to be their main channel, but not sure they're ever gonna get that channel working properly). I doubt you could even receive Milwaukee stations well in Loves Park, IL. For Milwaukee, WMVS is the only VHF on RF 8, while all other full power stations stayed on their pre-transitional channels, which are on the UHF.

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
From your location, getting Chicago stations will be rather difficult for any channel. With WMTV Madison being on RF 19, you have almost no chance of getting WGN-TV, also on RF 19. Same for WXFT on RF 50 (if you care about any Spanish language programming), due to WISC being on RF 50. If you lived east of Rockford instead of north of Rockford, you might have a better chance of getting Chicago stations. For some of us, we don't consider WWTO LaSalle a Chicago station, because it's almost 80 miles from Chicago, & even with their 80kw signal, it mainly reaches those in the far western suburbs. The FCC should really classify this station a Peoria station, since it's closer to Peoria than Chicago. WBBM-TV & WLS-TV are the only ones who have full power stations on the VHF (WLS-TV also has RF 44, which is supposed to be their main channel, but not sure they're ever gonna get that channel working properly). I doubt you could even receive Milwaukee stations well in Loves Park, IL. For Milwaukee, WMVS is the only VHF on RF 8, while all other full power stations stayed on their pre-transitional channels, which are on the UHF.
Thanks for the info....
I still might play around with antenna placement, or build a VHF just
to try. My 36' tower tilts up and down with a cable winch, so raising and
lowering an antenna only takes a few minutes..... Maybe I'll throw together
a simple dipole just to see if I can grab any channels.... Thanks again for the
input..

John

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Please forgive my ignorance but.... Radio Shack sells a "cut-to-band"
VHF antenna. Does that mean you trim it to tune it for a specific channel?
It says for channels 7-13, I was not sure if it covered all of those channels
or was tailored to one. I still want to try and see if I can pull VHF Chicago
channels.... I like to play around.

Thanks,
John

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Please forgive my ignorance but.... Radio Shack sells a "cut-to-band"
VHF antenna. Does that mean you trim it to tune it for a specific channel?
It says for channels 7-13, I was not sure if it covered all of those channels
or was tailored to one. I still want to try and see if I can pull VHF Chicago
channels.... I like to play around.

Thanks,
John
It just means that it is designed only to get channels from the high VHF band, which consists of channels 7-13. Those are either the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or the Y10-7-13. The Y10-7-13 is about twice as powerful as the Y5-7-13. They also make a Y5-2-6 for the low VHF band (channels 2-6).

jlguler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It just means that it is designed only to get channels from the high VHF band, which consists of channels 7-13. Those are either the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or the Y10-7-13. The Y10-7-13 is about twice as powerful as the Y5-7-13. They also make a Y5-2-6 for the low VHF band (channels 2-6).
Thanks for the info......
The one I was thinking about getting is the Y-10-7-13.
I may try a simple dipole first to see if I can even pull any
channels..... I'll check craiglist too, you never know. The antenna
is reasonably priced.......... They do not have a range on the info
for the antenna..... I guess it's different for every application....
I may try my hand at building one too.....

John

Last edited: