Question: Antenna recommendation for Everett, WA area

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Des,

Your antenna survey doesn't make sense because it locates the transmitters on QA Hill and Capitol Hill (in Seattle) to your west-north-west --- but they are actually to your east-south-east! Also, it shows Channels 13 and 14 due west from you, however, they are (approximately) due west of QA Hill, on Gold Mountain.

I ran your satellite co-ordinance and the numbers properly locate you in Everett, so I suggest you rerun your antenna survey, but this time use your street address. Also, please use the maximum possible height above ground level where you could mount an antenna.

Jim (in Seattle)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Des,

I have done a lot of thinking about what you may require to receive reception from Seattle and I don't want to get your hopes up. On your survey, many of the stations are reported to be 2-edge: that means there are two significant physical obstructions between the transmitter and your antenna, usually hills. However, the report shows KIRO-7 (real channel 39) as LOS (line-of-sight) but KING-5 (48) and KOMO-4 (38) as 2-edge, yet the three transmitting towers are side-by-side within (about) a 4 city block area and their antennas are all located near or at the tops of the towers. All three are full-power transmitters.

More information may help: have you received Seattle stations in the past and if so, what was your antenna setup and how high was it off the ground? Do any of your neighbors use antennas and what are their results (details, please)? Additional antenna height may be the answer for you, but that definitely means guy-wires to keep your mast up when its windy. Are you willing to use an antenna rotor?

My initial thought is to try a Channel Master HD4221 for the UHF-band channels on QA and Capital Hill, aimed roughly due south: that antenna has a fairly wide beam width, so both antenna farms should be received. To receive VHF-high-band channels PBS-9 and Independent-11 will require a VHF-high-band antenna added to the same coax, pointed directly at Capital Hill, just to the east of due south.

IF ... the UHF antenna receives KCJO-22 (25), that station has a sub-channel that provides FOX in SD (standard definition) and that gets you NFL Football and NASCAR. If it does not, you could aim your VHF antenna toward the primary Q-13 transmitter on Gold Mountain to your SW: it broadcasts in HD (high definition), but you would lose PBS-9 (and 11) unless it is on an antenna rotor.

To your NW is KVOS-12 (35) which is an excellent channel to have: it offers MeTV, MOVIES! and H&I networks from Orcas Island. It is possible your UHF antenna pointed south-ish will also capture KVOS from its back-side. Also, there is a PBS translator (UHF repeater) there, so you could give up Channel 9 and 11 on Capitol Hill as use your VHF antenna to try for FOX-13 in HD. At a distance, VHF signals are more 'forgiving' than UHF signals when they encounter an edge (hill) so I think 13 in HD may be possible.

I receive KVOS-12 (35) here, at a range of just over 75 miles and my survey reports it as 2-edge. However, I built a very special antenna to make it work, after I tested about a dozen different brands and types of UHF antennas at various heights up to 34 feet about ground level with zero results. My antenna (Project 35) is about 22 feet above ground level and you can see photos in my albums, here on the Forum. The following summer I tested a very small 2-Bay UHF antenna at about 50 feet above ground level (yikes) and it captured the same channel and a PBS translator to my SW at a range of 86 miles.

My point: a larger antenna will collect more signal at any height (BUT only if the signal is there) whereas a small antenna at a higher height may find itself where the signals are actually located. Antenna height can be king.

Back to KVOS-12 (35): IF ... you don't receive that channel off of the back-side of your UHF antenna pointed south, you could add a third antenna (a small UHF model) and dedicate it to that station and the PBS translator, however, that will require a separate coax and an A-B switch or (possibly) a new Channel Master product called a JoinTenna which allows dedicated 'single-channel antennas' to be added to an existing coaxial antenna system. *** NONE of the Staff on our Forum have any experience with this new product -- yet.

Now, you have a lot to think about! Let us know where we go, next.

Jim

Last edited:
C

captainkrunch11

Hello, I live by Boeing on Upper ridge Road. IT is a pretty high point above sea level, about 500 plus feet. I also have to shoot kind of through and next to the Snohomish county emergency response antenna tower and some cell phone antennas right next to my property. I used the Clearstream 2v and that gave me 90 percent of what I should have gotten. Unfortunately the VHF portion of that antenna was no where near enough to pickup channel 9 which is vhf. The other 2 vhf channels, 11 and 13 came in but they were on the fringe. I just added a winegard 7694 antenna to it on my roof. Both are mounted on the roof.

I get channel 9 now with the winegard and my channel 11 and 13 went up a bit. Although the winegard helped the vhf, I think the uhf portion of the winegard may have messed with my 33.1 channel which is ION. I had to aim it several times in order to get the vhf channels and UHF ION. and now I get everything I am supposed to. Even though my Clearstream is pointed south, I get channel 12 which is NW and about 58 miles away. I added a 15 db amplifier and have an antenna preamp coming tomorrow.

I just got this setup this past week so I am still tweaking it to make sure the channels are as strong as possible. I should have mentioned that I disconnected the vhf antenna on the Clearstream since I suspected it was interfering with the VHF from the winegard when the signals were combined. So I am using the UFH portion of the Clearstream and the uhf/vhf from the winegard combined and then running down an rg6 coax into a 75 ohm grounding block into my living room where the amplifier is. I only have it routed to one tv and there are no splitters. The TIVO roamio really makes the OTA tv a feasible option in my opinion.

I will say I had some pixilation on both of the 12.1 and 12.2 channels right after installing the antenna and tweaking. I went to bed and when I came home I added the ground to the coaxial grounding block and the channels don't pixelate now. That being said, I haven't had much time to verify the grounding did anything. I will have to wait and see how the weather and seasons and time of day affect the picture quality. I also ordered a channel master lte filter which supposedly filters out 700mhz and above frequencies from cell phones. I figure since I am about a hundred and 30 feet from the cell phone tower it wouldn't hurt. The preamplifier for the antenna coming tomorrow also has some fm bandpass filtering in it which may help. I plan on tinkering around with it to maximize my signal for a while. I will also disconnect the clearstream v2 and just use the winegard to see what happens.

Although the cv2 antenna is great, I would definitely go old school with the antenna and get at least a medium range directional antenna which is absolutely required for the 3 vhf channels in our area. You may need to get 2 antennas and point them in different directions.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I will say I had some pixilation on both of the 12.1 and 12.2 channels right after installing the antenna and tweaking. I went to bed and when I came home I added the ground to the coaxial grounding block and the channels don't pixelate now.
Grounding your cable does a lot to prevent interference. Things that can cause interference are cell phone chargers, , AC to DC converters, LED light bulbs, and even LED TV's.

G

So I am captainkrunch11 above. I didn't register and am only posting as a guest. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get all the channels I should be getting. And I am posting in length to give other people ideas that read this over the next several years.

It wasn't bad for a short period of time with the setup I mentioned earlier but for whatever reason things went to crap trying to get all the channels and after the "snowstorm" we had on Superbowl sunday. My current setup is the CV2 with the VHF portion taken off and it points right about 170 degrees. A few feet away and higher is the Winegard 7694.

The winegard was obviously for my vhf and the cv2 was for the uhf. I had to take off the vhf from the cv2 because it was causing problems with the new winegard. What I did a few days ago was instead of using a combiner for both antennas I bought the $24 dollar or so combiner that has separate uhf and vhf inputs with one output and replaced the original combiner. That helped a lot but I was still having unusual uhf signal problems on channels like kiro that should not have been an issue and werent before. I had added a winegard booster and decided to by pass it. Holy crap. All my channels shot up in signal strength after removing the antenna booster. I must have been over loading with the amplification. Channels 9, 11 and 13, all vhf shot up in strength and kiro went from like 40 to 60 something taking off the preamp.

Even with all this the Me network on channel 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3 was pixelated again and not coming in well. Oddly enough I had experimented with a cheap RCA uhf, rabbit ear "HD" indoor, non amplified antenna over the weekend and that damn thing pulled in the channels on 12 with not issue. Imagine how pissed I was that this $10 antenna could pull in channel 12 from 58 miles away and my $200 worth of roof mounted antennas, combiner, and other parts couldn't receive channel 12. So I took the cheap ass uhf antenna, removed the rabbit ear portion, used the combiner I had used on my roof and added it to the line coming in to my Tivo. I now have good signal strength on channel 12's and every other channel I should be getting. I will say that I hooked up my channel master distribution amplifier with this indoor antenna to get the signal up a little higher. I now don't get pixelation and every channel comes in good, including the vhf ones.

We will see how things go with different weather, seasons, etc. If things stay like this I will be very happy. I will break even in about 7 months saving the $107 a month Frontier wants to charge me for service that I cancelled

I have learned that tv signals can be really weird and difficult to receive

List of what I used to cut the cord:
TIVO Roamio $400
CV2 mounted on roof with vhf dipole antenna removed $90
Winegard 7694 antenna, roof mounted with 5 ft mast. $95
Antennas direct uhf/vhf combiner $24
A channel master cellular LTE filter for 700 mhz and above blocking $28
Inside the RG6 goes into a channel master distribution amplifier $25
Inside cheap RCA uhf/vhf antenna with vhf rabbit ears removed for appearance reasons goes into the amplifier and out to my TIVO. This was only to get channel 12 specifically. $10

100 feet of grounding wire ten gauge about $35
plus extra RG6 cable, f connectors, and I already had the tools to put on compression F connectors to make my own length cables.