Question: Antenna Recommendation please?

glifesyr

DTVUSA Rookie
Here's my TV Fool report.

I'm just looking to get good reception of all the major local networks. Looks like they are concentrated in the 200-230 degrees direction, with the lone exception of WSPX-TV (ION) which is to the north and has weak signal. I don't care about the stations to the east which are not "local" to me.

I'm not ready to venture out for an outdoor antenna yet. Which indoor antenna would be a good choice in my situation?

Many thanks.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: glifesyr,

You might get away with a flat panel in your window, such as a MOHU Leaf. I am not a fan of indoor antennas, so I defer to others here for confirmation or other recommendations.

Jim

You have a good TV fool report. Strong signals, everything UHF. Indoor reception will depend a lot up on the construction of the building, room objects, or having a window facing the direction of the transmitters. In most cases I would not recommend any Mohu product due to the companies deceptive marketing. In this case with no VHF stations I have to agree with Jim the leaf hung in a window facing south west would probably work. Avoid amplified antennas.
The best indoor antenna is a small outdoor antenna. Here's a couple good examples.
Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB2X High Definition Blade 2 Bay Xtreme UHF Antenna (HDB2X) from Solid Signal
Antennas Direct C1 ClearStream1 Outdoor Digital HD TV Antenna (C1) from Solid Signal
It takes some home brew ingenuity on how to mount it, and fit it in with the room decor. I personally think of antennas as beautiful works of art, and you could always move it outside if you ever want to.
Steve

Hi glifesyr,

Yes, I'm afraid you should cross WSPX off your list if you're going for an indoor setup.

Conventional advice indoors, with such a strong TVF Report, is to get an RCA ANT111 or ANT112 or ANT111R (they have a little longer coax than the super cheap models) for $10 from Walmart or eBay: RCA ANT111R Basic Indoor Passive HDTV TV Antenna | eBay Idea being to try it out at different locations to see if indoors is even an option at your location. Maybe half the time, people find this rabbit ear / loop solution is all they need.

If you have a south or west facing window, you might want to go right to an HD Blade: Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Indoor TV Antenna (HDBLADE) from Solid Signal I'd choose that over the Mohu -- JMHO. You can get however much RG-6 coax you need to stretch from the TV to the window.

Rick

glifesyr

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I think I'll start out with the $10 RCA 112R which is in stock at my local Walmart.

I like the look of the Solid Signal HD-BLADE. But my TV room only has NNW facing windows. To get to the south facing windows I'll have to run coax cable across several rooms.

Since we don't have VHF stations, I guess I can get rid of the rabbit ears on the RCA 112R (if that's possible), right? (I'm sure my wife hates the look of the rabbit ears).

Steve's small UHF outdoor antenna idea is great too. I may try that if I have no luck with the RCA 112R.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I think I'll start out with the $10 RCA 112R which is in stock at my local Walmart.
Try different spots. First try high and close to a south or west side wall if possible.

I like the look of the Solid Signal HD-BLADE. But my TV room only has NNW facing windows. To get to the south facing windows I'll have to run coax cable across several rooms.
Might be worth a shot if the RCA doesn't work. Sometimes you have to try a few different things indoors.

Since we don't have VHF stations, I guess I can get rid of the rabbit ears on the RCA 112R (if that's possible), right? (I'm sure my wife hates the look of the rabbit ears).
You can probably collapse the ears down to almost nothing. I wouldn't take a chance on pulling it apart until you're sure it works, and works well without the ears.

Steve's small UHF outdoor antenna idea is great too. I may try that if I have no luck with the RCA 112R.
Sounds like a plan. Any decent antenna should work if you can get line of sight to the transmitters outside.

Rick

Last edited:
I have seen indoor antennas work very good in a wood frame building as long as there is not foil backed insulation, siding, or sheeting. Inside a log house worked before we got the antenna outside. 8" logs, 3.5" fiberglass insulation, and interior drywall. Enough signal still got through. The last 2 buildings I've lived in indoor reception was only possible through windows. In my helping others I been in 3 houses where proper antenna placement, and experimentation resulted in acceptable indoor reception.
Steve

glifesyr

DTVUSA Rookie
Wow, a cheap indoor antenna actually did the wonder work. I ended up with an RCA ANT111 ($10) from Sears, as Walmart ran out of stock on the ANT112R (don't know what differences are between the 2 models). And I got all the channels I had with basic Cable service plus many more, even including all the sub-channels of ION,(WSPX) which supposedly has the weakest signal. The HD quality (about half of all channels I got) just rocks.

Basically I just put together the antenna with only the UHF loop, and placed it between a window and the TV. The result of the first try is just fantastic. Thanks again for all the great suggestions and ideas!