Antenna Recommendation

Just moved into a new house where I will no longer be getting cable included. Looking to get an antenna. From what I can tell from this TV Fool chart, I'm certainly going to need an outdoor antenna. As long as I can get the major networks, I'm fine. I'd prefer not spending too much, but am more concerned about getting good reception. Thanks!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Welcome, derekfinlinson!

I am from Logan, ut. You will be getting your channels directly from Farnswoth peak, SLC. Looking at your TVfool, you're going to need a high gain directional UHF antenna, like the Antennas Direct 91XG.

I would suggest, since you are getting 2 edge signals, you test several locations and heights to find a "sweet spot" for your antenna.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: derekfinlinson!

Mr Pogi is your local Guru so my comments may not fit his. You have two main sources for TV from the southish and the northish, but nearly all of them are broadcasted on UHF ... lucky you!

On the other hand, higher antenna height may be required and two antenna systems will be required (A/B switch) unless you are willing to install an antenna rotator (rotor).

Seriously, since virtually every channel is UHF, this is a far easier setup than many others.

Jim

Thanks for the welcomes. Looking at the channel list, I don't think I'm very interested in the channels to the south.

Looked up the 91XG on their website and it said it was low wind load. Does that mean it wouldn't do so well in wind? I've only been at this house for a week but we've already had some pretty strong winds.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
For 2edge signals a 8bay bowtie may help. Though the American transmission standard has worse multipath rejection than the transmission standard used here in Australia, I'll leave it to others to confirm if my experience is transferable in this instance.

Trees can be an issue especially once green and/or wet over spring/summer. If they are too tall to shoot over it may end up being a case of setting it up and seeing how it goes.

Low wind loading means that the force exerted by the antenna during wind gusts is low in comparison to an antenna with high wind loading (eg. Bowtie and parabolic antennas). Any reasonably well installed mast should have no problems with either a 91element of 8bay antenna.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I've got some trees North of my house, would those affect the signal at all? We had problems with those trees for wireless internet as well.
My trees nor homes beyond them, nor the rise of a hill, nor 75 miles distance (multi-edge) to the transmitter interfere with my reception of KVOS-35 (12.1/12.2) (Bellingham, WA) from their San Juan Island transmitter.

I repeat to all ... you cannot guess or know what stations can be received without physically testing at a specific location.

The photo below shows my 'forest' about fifteen feet away from the antenna.

I have a second antenna that faces to the west, that has a similar "block" except it is three or less feet away from it. Still ... no problemo.

Jim

Last edited: