Question: Antenna Recommendation?

Franks

DTVUSA Rookie
I recently got rid of dish network and I would like to remove the dish and mount an antenna in its place. Can anyone recommend a good antenna?

Main Assembly:
The Antenna will be approx. 25ft off the ground on the roof.

Interior:
How many linear Cable feet is it between your Antenna and the most far TV:
The cable from the dish runs down stairs and is then split. I only have tvs in three of these rooms. There is a Viewsonics VSMA-608C 8-way splitter/amplifier downstairs.

Additional Information:
Are you/do you plan to integrate Cable or Satellite Services with this system:
No.

Here is my report from TV Fool.

G

Recommendation

Keep your dish dont throw it away and turn it into a GreenDish. Go to Dtv Green Dish .com get the conversion kit it is gauranteed to get you all vhf and uhf in your area up 125 channels depending on your market. Check out htguys podcast review coming july 13th on the GreenDish

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Franks!

At 25 feet elevation you have a terrific TVFOOL report, unfortunately there is not an omnidirectional antenna that ever works (okay, rarely) for FREE HDTV reception. Please give us some background: have you tried any antennas yet and if so, what were your results using what antenna/s? That will give us an idea of the 'easily received channels' and then we can work with you so you can add to the (potentially lengthy) list. I wish my situ was as promising.

The right antenna location at the right height is the way FREE OTA works. Whatever you already have (if you do) try up, down, right and left to find a 'sweet-spot'. We need a list of those channels.

Just a heads-up ... your 'potential' reception report does not take into consideration local or distant terrain between you and the transmitters or local obsticles such as a 10 story apartment house two blocks away. On the other hand ... I receive channels here that in theory I shouldn't be able to receive.

Jim

Absolutely NO ONE will agree with this advice ...

But if I were you, I wouldn't buy an antenna until listening to podcast #539 on HDTV and Home Theater Podcast - Podcasts this coming Friday night.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally think something new might be coming down the pike. Anyway, discretion is the better part of impulse shopping, er, something like that. (Get ready for :flamewar: now. :becky:)

Rick

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I recently got rid of dish network and I would like to remove the dish and mount an antenna in its place. Can anyone recommend a good antenna?

Main Assembly:
The Antenna will be approx. 25ft off the ground on the roof.

Interior:
How many linear Cable feet is it between your Antenna and the most far TV:
The cable from the dish runs down stairs and is then split. I only have tvs in three of these rooms. There is a Viewsonics VSMA-608C 8-way splitter/amplifier downstairs.

Additional Information:
Are you/do you plan to integrate Cable or Satellite Services with this system:
No.

Here is my report from TV Fool.
I'd think that an Antennas Direct Antennas Direct ClearStream2 pointed at 10 degrees magnetic would work well in your area. It has a wide beam angle to pick up the two main groups of stations. I don't know how well that distribution amp will work. It really depends on how noisy it is.

Franks

DTVUSA Rookie
I'd think that an Antennas Direct Antennas Direct ClearStream2 pointed at 10 degrees magnetic would work well in your area. It has a wide beam angle to pick up the two main groups of stations. I don't know how well that distribution amp will work. It really depends on how noisy it is.
There are houses on both sides of my house that are about the same size as mine. The pitch of their roofs might block the signal. The satellite dish is currently located on the southwest side of my house. If I pointed the antenna 10 degrees clockwise of magnetic north it would be pointing right into the pitch of my roof. Would that be worse than pointing it south? I think I can point it with a clear view anywhere between 180-310 degrees from north (S-NW).

I currently have a Belkin AV48001 plugged into an upstairs tv and a downstairs tv.

Depending on how I rotate the antenna downstairs I get:
WBTV 3-1
Bounce 3-2
WSOC 9-1
WSOC-WX 9-2
WCCB 18-1
WCCB-SD 18-2
WCCB-ME 18-3
WCNC-HD 36-1
WCNC-LW 36-2
WJZY 46-1
Antenna 46-2
TCN 46-3
All of these go in and out though.

Upstairs WCCB, WCNC, and WSOC come in a little steadier.

If you "reeeeeeeeeeeeeally" believe that then you should buy one and let us know how it worked out for you.
I really, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally think that comment makes no sense whatsoever.

And I think you know that.

But don't take it personally. :thumb:

R.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
There are houses on both sides of my house that are about the same size as mine. The pitch of their roofs might block the signal. The satellite dish is currently located on the southwest side of my house. If I pointed the antenna 10 degrees clockwise of magnetic north it would be pointing right into the pitch of my roof. Would that be worse than pointing it south? I think I can point it with a clear view anywhere between 180-310 degrees from north (S-NW).
The two main groups of stations are at 334 degrees and 60 degrees, so north is the direction of choice. I wouldn't expect much with the antenna pointed south. Most signals are strong in your area. The best thing would be to move the satellite mount to the peak of the roof. But, it may work well enough pointed through your roof. The other option would be in the attic. If the houses to your north aren't too close that may work well. I've had good luck with attic (and indoor) mounts. I'd invest in the antenna and start experimenting. There are a lot of stations that are very receivable (all the greens and yellows on tvfool).

P.S. Since the Belkin AV48001 has a 1 1/2 star rating on Amazon I have a feeling it isn't much of an antenna. ;)

Last edited:
G

The HTGUYS review is on the air at PODCAST 539 Whoaooooo Check it out Frank. Don't waste your money on the junk they are telling you to buy! The disclaimer below says it all, they get paid to recommend the mediocre antennas

Other Websites in the DTVUSAForum Network: Internet TV Forums
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12
Copyright © 2012 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2012 DTVUSAForum.com. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:57 AM.All content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used in place of professional advice. Compensation disclosure: This website may earn a small commission on some of the products purchased through outbound links to various consumer sites. .

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The HTGUYS review is on the air at PODCAST 539 Whoaooooo Check it out Frank. Don't waste your money on the junk they are telling you to buy! The disclaimer below says it all, they get paid to recommend the mediocre antennas

Other Websites in the DTVUSAForum Network: Internet TV Forums
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12
Copyright © 2012 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
© 2012 DTVUSAForum.com. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:57 AM.All content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used in place of professional advice. Compensation disclosure: This website may earn a small commission on some of the products purchased through outbound links to various consumer sites. .
Way to go bud, I've been approving your posts and allowing you some free publicity for your Green Dish Antenna business...and then you go and insult the forum. That message serves as a disclaimer, which, might I remind you that FEW OTHER A/V FORUMS WILL POST, yet we want to fully make visitors to this website aware that we do sometimes earn a commission if products are purchased at Amazon.com. It helps pay the server fees and other costs to keep dtvusaforum running and free for visitors to come, ask questions, and get answers about digital television and antennas.

I've been tracking the IP addresses that these guest messages have been coming from, and all of them come from the same state, metro area. If you want to continue posting here, I suggest that you keep your attitude in check.

G

Wow you guys can dish it out but you can't take it, your the ones who insulted and berated the product from day one, you insulted the greendish and then shut down the thread. fringe puts a garbage can and called it nonsense. And you are offended?
Jason, seriously, we've been following this site for quite some time, you guys have been quick to give rave reviews on new junk but a real tv antenna for the 21st century comes out and you totally bash it and you don't even own one. Listen in on HTGUYS podcast review 539. This scenario has been repeated over and over all over the nation. When The original post came out, Jeffrey wanted to share the good news with you guys. The guess work has been taken out of the equation! there is no antenna that does what this Dish-Tenna Does I know, Because I Own one.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
... a real tv antenna for the 21st century comes out and you totally bash it and you don't even own one.
No statistics about the green dish have been provided, yet every ethical antenna manufacturer provides information covering antenna gain (or loss) beamwidth data, front-to-back rejection data, front-to-side rejection data, etc.

You claim your antenna receives stations that are physically over-the-horizon at a range of 125 miles which would only be possible for short intervals if Tropospheric Ducting was occuring, and that unusual reception could be done with many different antennas.

Your antenna 'radiates' around a building, yet there is no information provided about how it accomplishes doing that and no mention of FCC approval for such a transmitting device.

You bet we are skeptical.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Anyone with a signal meter want to pay him a visit, then we'll see how quickly he scurries back to his hidey hole... ;)
I don't doubt that the green machine antenna works to some extent, but before we support it in any way, to remain credible we must have something difinitive to work from for comparison with known antenna designs that actually do what they claim to do.

I repeat: to date, the green dish supporters have offered us only promises. Hope! Change! Sound familiar?

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Wow you guys can dish it out but you can't take it, your the ones who insulted and berated the product from day one, you insulted the greendish and then shut down the thread. fringe puts a garbage can and called it nonsense. And you are offended?
Jason, seriously, we've been following this site for quite some time, you guys have been quick to give rave reviews on new junk but a real tv antenna for the 21st century comes out and you totally bash it and you don't even own one. Listen in on HTGUYS podcast review 539. This scenario has been repeated over and over all over the nation. When The original post came out, Jeffrey wanted to share the good news with you guys. The guess work has been taken out of the equation! there is no antenna that does what this Dish-Tenna Does I know, Because I Own one.
I was the first person to post about the Green Dish on this forum. As a Remember I praised the entrepreneurial spirit while also asking why there wasn't any real data. After all this time, including the podcast, there is still no real data. The Green Dish works better than a Yagi with bad cables. Really, is that what you consider to be a good review? Like I say, proven 62 mile UHF range, and less than $5 invested. Stick a "dish" reflector I pulled out of my neighbors trash behind it and it would easily go for 90 miles. No big deal!!! Give us real data or get the heck out!!!

Loop Antenna.jpg

J

JimP

DTV GreenDish

Hi dKreichen1968, I ordered the GreenDish online after I heard the HTGUYS podcast on July 13th. I would never have paid $300 bucks for an unknown product. I always wait for someone else to take the risk first and wait for the review. I previously paid $139.00 plus tax on my older antenna, and had to rent a cherry picker for $80.00 bucks which I reluctantly paid, so I could place my older antenna on my 30 foot mast. My wife hated that because she thinks I'm to old to be up there. I also had the same problem with my existing cable. The GreenDish installer put the Dish-Tenna on the North East side of my house on a small mast which looks just like a DBS mast on my Gable end and ran a channel scan. He got zero. I was ready to send it back, and dismiss it as nonsense. He did some testing on my wire and told me he had to change my RG6 cable because it did not meet their specs. His volt circuit was open with my main line. I told him I'm not paying extra for new cable ; I already have RG6, so what's the difference? The installer pointed out that I did not have to pay extra because they include 50 feet of their RG6 with the package. He informed me my cable had single shield. He cut the black rubber and showed me where the shield was cracked and it didn't let the voltage reach the Dish-Tenna. When he put the new RG6 with tri-shield 90 percent braid and ran a new scan, to my suprise, It picked up 80 channels! He also showed me how to tell the difference betweeen good and great cables. I been doing my own antennas when we used to use the old lead wires and had to twist the lines to avoid RF interference LOL. You learn some thing new every day. He showed me If the cable is smooth, it's cheap china single shield. If you can see the braids through the rubber, it's most likely double or tri-shield. My previous antenna was the Channel Master CM-3679 Deep Fringe Crossfire Series Outdoor TV Antenna which I had installed myself as I live 62 miles from the transmitters. I used to get 29 channels regularly and 35 on good nights when ducting occured. I asked him, if my cable was bad, why would I be getting 29 channels with my existing line. He explained that my old antenna worked just fine with the old line because it only needed the copper core where as the GreenDish needs both the core and Shield for the voltage. I'm not an engineer so I don't understand all this gain and beam stuff but I've put up quite abit of tv antennas in my time. Just to give you a clue, I remember when my first tv went out and I purchased the Magnavox 4DT6A tube to fix it. For those of you who remember the tube, you now have an idea of my age. I digress, this little dish is worth it. Anyway that's my 2cents for anyone who has the same issue as me and wants to get more channels. It really does work and I recommend it.