Question: Antenna Recommendation

I am looking to use the minimal approach to get ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS for football in the fall. We use a Roku for 95% of our TV. I have a tall one story house that is wired for directv. I would like to attic mount an antenna and use the current directv cabling to route the antenna to all portions of the house. We would likely only watch 1 tv at a time. We have 12 foot ceilings and a very open/tall attic. I could mount the antenna up to 18'-24' in the attic. We have tech-shield (foil lined roof decking).

Am I close enough for an attic mount or indoor antenna. I didn't think I was, but the tvfool link shows all channels in the green zone.

TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Where is the DirecTV Dish now? If it's on the roof on the southern part of the house I wouldn't do an attic install. (No the HOA can't legally restrict you.) The least expensive option would be a Stellar Labs 30-2440, or you could get a RCA ANT751R if you want an American made solution.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
How much trouble would it be to move it to the ridgeline of the house? That would be the best solution. Move to the ridgeline, use the antenna indicated, which isn't much larger than a dish, point it at 169 degrees magnetic, and enjoy your free "cable" package. Roku is great as a secondary source, but free OTA TV has no data caps!!! ;)

While you might do alright at the north location outside. The tech-shield (foil lined roof decking) is likely to cause problems, and could make attic installation unworkable. I would suggest using a simple rabbit ear loop combo to test for signal before considering an attic installation. As has been suggested a good high clear shot to the south is the best choice. You have a mix of High VHF, and UHF signals which rules out many of the UHF only antennas currently being sold.

reiter284

DTVUSA Rookie
I just remembered I have an old dish mounted at the base of my chimney near the peak of my roof. Maybe 25-30' high. I think the RCA ANT751R looks pretty appealing for cost/size. I can use the current dish base as a mount and the coax is already there.

My only concern is that it has a 40 mile range. Most of my channels are ~45 miles away. Does the 40 mile range really mean much? Any concern here?

Also, I assume I will need an amplifier to power the signal through the current Directv splitter to 4 TVs over the entire house. Can anyone recommend an amp and/or splitter?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
As a FYI antenna ranges are actually meaningless. Range may very should be attached to every range rating. I've picked up every full power UHF station from Denver on a simple 5" loop antenna at 60 miles. If you look at your TVfool report it shows a noise margin in the 40's and 50's for most of the major stations. That means there aren't any hills between you and the towers. Add the noise margin (NM(dB)) to the dBd gain of your antenna (5dB for an RCA ANT751R) and that gives you the expected signal strength at the antenna for any given station. Then subtract 1dB for every 20 feet of cable and 4 dB for every time you split the signal. That will give you the signal strength at the TV. It is recommended that you have at least 10 dB of signal at the TV for reliable reception. Size your antenna appropriately for the stations you want to receive in the 169 degree magnetic direction.

Last edited:
Also, I assume I will need an amplifier to power the signal through the current Directv splitter to 4 TVs over the entire house. Can anyone recommend an amp and/or splitter?
Make sure you are using a standard splitter, not a DirecTV switch or component. And I also wouldn't ASSUME the need for an amplifier. Try it first and if you have some low signal, THEN amplify.

Jeff