Question: Antenna recommendation

Currently using a Wine garden flat antenna indoors and it receives CBS, ABC, FOX and CW. NBC us a no go, it receives other station I don't care about. I do receive pixel at ion from time to time. I know I need to go with a outside antenna and would like to receive the local networks including NBC, which is in the opposite direction of the other stations. I can probably get the antenna up to 20 feet, there are power lines about 100 yards away that may cause problems. Here is a link

TV Fool
Any recommendations ?

Last edited:
Receiving the NBC signal in your area is not likely to be easy. It's 2Edge signal at only 4.4 NM. It will require a high gain UHF antenna correctly placed, and aimed. If there are nearby trees, or buildings in that direction it may not be possible. Doing this correctly will require a two antenna switched, or dual tuner system. I seldom recommend rotors, and combining two like band antennas pointed separate directions seldom works.
If you can live without NBC about any small, low cost UHF antenna aimed toward them should work fine.
Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF DirecTV-Approved 2-Bay UHF Outdoor Antenna - Walmart.com
Stellar Labs HDTV 30 Mile Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2420 (302420) | Stellar Labs
Avoid amplifiers as the strong signals in your area will cause overload.
If you wish to pursue NBC reception purchase a high gain UHF antenna. Several come to mind.
Stellar Labs HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2430 (302430) | Stellar Labs
Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB91x VHF/UHF Outdoor TV Antenna (HDB91X) from Solid Signal
Start chasing signal if the strong locals come in off the back and side great. If they don't you can pursue putting together a two antenna system. If you don't get the NBC signal you still have a good UHF antenna to use.
Steve

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve. I guess I'll give up on NBC since it seems unlikely I'll get it, I only watch one show on it anyhow so not a huge loss. Would going with on of the last two help with adverse conditions vs the top two. I don't mind spending a little extra money if it's going to help.

Thanks

Tim

There are plenty of mid range UHF antennas on the market, and some higher priced options that Should all work fine at your location. While I often suggest low priced antennas. The high priced Antennas Direct ClearStream 2, or DB4E are good antennas with good support from the company should something break.
In the low priced line there are a couple Stellar Labs antennas worth considering.
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2155 (302155) | Stellar Labs
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna | 30-2425 (302425) | Stellar Labs
You might luck out and get that NBC signal with one of mid range antennas. I would certainly give it a try.
Steve

That seldom works when dealing with a weak signal, and often times fails even when working with stronger signals. It's a great idea but is often times a recipe for failure. You would need to run two coax and build a switched or 2 tuner system to make it work. Combining two antennas pointed different directions seldom produces good results. The best way to do it is to build a switched antenna system or use two tuners. Remote controlled coax switches are not as easy to find as they were a couple of years ago, but low cost HD tuners are widely available.
You might read this thread it covers the subject a bit.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...8-antenna-get-stations-two-directions-ky.html
While in some circumstances it can be pulled off and made to work in most cases combining two like band antennas pointed separate directions is a recipe for failure.
Steve