Antenna recommendations for Remote Atlanta Burb

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your help with this. I filled out the tv fool report and got the following:

TV Fool

Solid Signal company recommended the Winegard HD 7084P antenna. Would this be a good option? I currently have the Channel Master 4228 and am getting very little. Also, I was thinking of getting an RCA preamp -- TVPRAMP1R.

I really appreciate your advice! I've already spent good money getting the channel master installed and I don't want to make the same mistake twice. My roof is really high and I don't have a ladder that will reach, so I have to pay someone to help.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Georgianoori

The Channel Master 4228 is a good choice for your location, but what direction is it pointed? The majority of your available channels are to your ENE at about 70 degrees. Please verify the direction its aimed and get back to us.

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you very much Jim!

I'm pretty sure it's pointed in the right direction. The problem is that I can't get up there to adjust it, so if I do buy another one, I want to buy one that has the greatest shot of success. I know it's a bit irrational, but I've lost faith in this one...any ideas?

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Georgianoori,

As I wrote above, the Channel Master 4228 antenna you have is a good choice and I don't see any reason to replace it. On the other hand, if you are using a newer model Channel Master HD-4228, their 'built-in' baluns (matching transformers) are somewhat fragile and your installer may have damaged it which could totally kill your reception. Also, if your installer didn't properly waterproof the coaxial cable connector at the antenna, rain (water) could have entered the coaxial cable and the cable may be bad.

Immediately after the antenna was installed, how many channels did you have and how many have been lost?

Jim

PS Please check the direction your antenna is pointed because it is a high-gain antenna that receives signals from a narrow range of directions (beam width).

HI Jim,

Thank you again. This is probably a newer model HD-4228. And, yes, I'm not sure that the coaxial cable was waterproofed. After installation, I received 2 PBS stations and this is it. This has never changed. Just in case, I have to get another one, what would you recommend? Sorry to be a pain...and, this time, I'm going to get someone who knows what he or she is doing, so that the cable is waterproofed and so that the antenna is properly grounded.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Georgianoori,

Something is wrong with your antenna installation because you should have received many more channels, right from the start. It could be as simple as re-aiming your antenna. Do you know which PBS channel you received? Below are the compass points:

PBS-7 is at 260 degrees
PBS-8 is at 74 degrees
PBS-21 (30 on your screen) is at 75 degrees
PBS-23 (28 on your screen) is at 158 degrees

Jim