Antenna recommendations needed

tjt486

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi folks,
Came here before when I first made the switch and got great advice and ended up with a cm2016 on the roof. Recently moved across town to the other side of the transmitters which means my ION no longer comes off the back side, so I'm optimistic that I'll have more luck picking up that extra channel than I did there. Here's my tvfool link
TV Fool

As of now, only hooking up 1 tv (possibly at the most 3 in the future) and want to attic install this one (I know I'll lose some gain, but mounting outside isn't an option at this point). I was looking at the Winegard FV-30 mainly because of its price and small size, but I can't find much specifics on its gain and directional qualities so I'm looking to the experts again.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'd think that if you have the room in the attic a CM-2016 would be a good bet. It would have more gain on UHF to pull in that Ion Station than the FV-30. I'd actually want to mount the FV-30 outdoors in your situation if I used one. It might work well in the attic, or it might not. Of course anytime you stick an antenna in the attic you introduce varibles caused by building materials and objects in the attic.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I would TRY the 2016 in the attic first, pointed directly at Ion-24. But since it's 47 miles away, I wouldn't count on the CM 2016 for Ion. I use the 2016 sometimes, but past ~30 miles, and 1-edge and in an attic like this is, I don't think it will be enough.

Or is there an Ion station I'm not seeing in the TVfool report?

Maybe an Antennacraft HBU-33 would be good if the CM2016 doesn't work out.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Maybe an Antennacraft HBU-33 would be good if the CM2016 doesn't work out.
If he was going to go Antennacraft I'd say HBU-22 since he doesn't need a lot of VHF gain. That is, unless WJKF is something he needs? My experience is that with those predicted signal strengths he should be good with a smaller antenna, even the 2016. It is Florida after all, how high can that 1st edge possibly be? ;) If he raised the TVfool up to 20 feet it might go LOS.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I might even suggest a 4 or 8 bay here rather than an HBU-22 or -33 if that doesn't work, Dan. That channel 7 and 13 should be no real problem for a properly designed and located bowtie.

tjt486

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I can just as easy disregard the ION station, it really isn't very important and like I said, I just thought I might have more luck picking it up here since its in the same (general) direction as the other primary transmitters. I never had it at the other place and never missed it. I certainly don't want to sacrifice the 2 VHF stations to get it.

The 2016 was to be left behind and looking to get something new, not necessarily the same yagi design yet not necessarily different. I currently have a small telescopic antenna (UHF only, I think. It came with the boxee Live TV adapter) in the attic as a placeholder that suffices on a few channels and drops signal enough to really annoy on others. "Real" channels 19,32,13,7,10,42,34 are the only ones I really care about getting good reception on. (i.e. the first 7 on my tv fool excluding WJEB).

Addressing a couple of other points, the attic is fairly roomy and the 2016 would absolutely fit, and ION does become LOS at 20 feet.

Once again, thanks for the input.