antenna repair?

chuckin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello everyone. I hope the pic shows up. This is my old antenna. I believe it's a channel master. It has seen better days. If you notice, it has bent and or missing elements. Are these easily repairable? I'm in a deep fringe area. I get a few stations, but I'd like to get NBC and CBS which come in sometimes, but I'd like to grab them consistently. I intend to raise my tower 16' also. Does this antenna appear to be in terrible shape? Would some maintenance/repair bring it back to life?

Attachments

chuckin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
More info...my zip code is 48419. I'm trying to receive NBC 25 and WE 5 (real channels 30 and 22) my current antenna height is approximately 35' Any other channels would be a bonus, but I don't expect the world. I have access to another antenna in a scrap pile that has some elements still in OK condition. However, they are just rods, not like the bird wing shaped one missing from the front of mine. How critical is this missing piece?

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I think a 4-bay or 8-bay would work far better because the UHF portion of your antenna wouldn't be that strong anyway, with or without the bent or broken elements. Plus your channels are spread out over several degrees and the type of antenna you have now is very directional while the 4 and 8 bay antennas will pick up a wider area of TV signals. They are not as directional.

or...

If you're picking up channel 7, you may want to keep the antenna you have now and combine it with the above mentioned antenna because the 4 and 8 bay antennas aren't great at picking up low numbered channels.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the response. I do get real channel 7 most of the time. I was told that's because it's broadcast in vhf. I neglected to mention that a new antenna doesn't really fit my budget at the moment. However, I am very handy. Could improvements be made to pick up uhf better? With direction I could probably fabricate most things. I also forgot to mention that I do have a working channel master rotator. I planned to disassemble it and re grease it with a low temp tolerant grease to avoid freezing up. Do you think I could make it work with that? Or, the 4 and 8 bay antennas you mention, Is there a quality one that is "budget friendly"? I was told to get a wine gard (I forget the model number) but it was $140. I would have to get that price in half at least. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: chuckin

Please go to the following link and run a (free) antenna survey using your exact address and maximum possible antenna height, then post the resulting link here for us to study: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 That website will automatically conceal your address for your security.

I ran a 'generic' report @ 30 feet elevation using your zip code and the results are not very promising, but zip code areas are large so it probably doesn't represent your potential reception. It tells me your FOX channel is high-band VHF (real channel 7) so if you like football, you need a dual-band VHF-UHF antenna or two separate antennas. Here's the generic report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5134eb493af128

Your current antenna appears to be designed to receive low-band VHF (2-6) high-band VHF (7-13) and UHF channels 14-69 or 14-83: in two ways, it is obsolete for your location. You do not have any low-band channels to receive, so the longest elements including the missing reflector do not matter. However, the UHF section was intended to receive the entire (old) UHF band, but channels 52-83 no longer exist.

Without seeing an accurate antenna survey I agree with Tim, an 8-bay UHF screen-type antenna would be a good choice for UHF reception. I'd try a Channel Master HD-4228 which has some ability to receive high-band VHF: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...000FVVKQM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 Shop around for the best deal.

If it doesn't capture your FOX-7, you can add (combine) it with a dedicated VHF Yagi like this one: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476 There are very few choices for high-band VHF antennas, but this is a good one at a great price.

Option: you said you're handy, so you could disassemble your existing antenna and rebuild it as a dedicated 'cut-to-channel 7' high-band VHF Yagi. Take a look at my photo albums here on the Forum for some ideas.

Please share the model number of your antenna rotor. It may have plastic gears and if so, the large antenna you currently have will quickly kill it. Please keep us posted and good luck,

Jim

Last edited:

chuckin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well, handy as in I'm a carpenter. Not so handy trying to copy link to the site lol! I'm doing it from my phone so I just took a screenshot! Let me know if this will do...

chuckin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So real channels 12 and 7 are ABC and FOX. 12 is one of my most reliable channels now, and I do like football so I'd like to have 7 as well. So I do need the vhf hi. Most everything I'm trying to get will come in sometimes. Sounds like the potential of my current antenna is about reached regardless of the damage? I'm gonna post a pic of the antenna I pulled from the scrap pile, just for kicks. It's too bad they tore it down and snapped it in half. Obviously it was junk to them. But maybe you guys will see something useful that I dont. I basically know very little about these things...

Instead of a picture, run the report and copy the URL from the Address Bar. While it's at block-level, it'll be much more accurate than the "center of Zip-Code" report that Fringe ran above, and that will give us a much more accurate estimate of what you need.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Chuckin,

It looks like a Winegard to me too. You may be able to reuse the black plastic element mounts with the existing elements cut to different lengths to make your own VHF antenna. If the antenna you have in the sky has the same sized square tubing, you have almost everything needed and / or, you may be able to reuse some of the elements and their mounts on the big antenna.

Here is a link to my "Project 9" VHF antenna that I built from parts and all I had to buy were some stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers and a 'U" bolt to mount it on a mast: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/album.php?albumid=70

There is an online antenna calculator that will determine the correct spacing between the elements, so if you're game for a project let me know.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Chuckin,

The Forum has a threshold point of five posts before you can PM, so by now it should work for you. I searched for the numbers on your rotor and couldn't find it. Please post some photos of it when you get a chance.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Chuckin,

The Forum has a threshold point of five posts before you can PM, so by now it should work for you. I searched for the numbers on your rotor and couldn't find it. Please post some photos of it when you get a chance.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Chuckin,

I have an identical rotor and my copy was sold by Radio Shack, although I'm pretty sure the same unit was 're-badged' and sold under other name brands. It is a light-duty unit that probably won't last very long if you mount it under the antenna you currently have in the sky. I'll zap you an IM.

Jim

Edit: You found a glitch in the current Forum software! I'll contact our Grand Poobah and see if he can resolve it. Thanks!

Last edited:

chuckin

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So the bottom plate is stamped channel master made in USA. I took it apart and all the gears are metal. Well, sounds like the consensus is that I need a new antenna anyways. Jim,I was gonna just pm you my address so you could see my tv fool report, and maybe just have you post those results for me. I can't seem to pull it off on my piece of crap phone. But I can't pm either!