Antenna testers wanted

Solid Signal

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Solid Signal is looking for some experienced folks to test our new Xtreme Signal series antennas, seen here: Solid Signal Search Results for "xtreme signal"

These are UHF antennas with varying ranges. We're looking for testers who would use these antennas and then report back publicly on your findings. Your reports may be used in Solid Signal marketing materials and you may be asked to post a testimonial on Facebook.

The antennas are open box items but after your tests they would be yours to keep.

Please send a PM to Solid Signal if you are interested.

I've been searching for any connection between Xtreme Signal and Stellar Labs from Jakarta whose antennas are sold at Sears and MCM Electronics. Clearly, some of their antennas are exactly the same, e.g. compare this: Stellar Labs HDTV/DTV/UHF Outdoor Television Antenna | 30-2425 (302425) | Stellar Labs to this: Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB4X High Definition Blade 4 Bay Xtreme Antenna (HDB4X) from Solid Signal

The 2 Bay and 8 Bay antennas are also the same -- at least the pictures are exactly the same; specs may differ by 0.5" or 1.0 dB. Does Stellar Labs have the right to copy your designs and photos, then slap on their label for distribution? Are these antennas manufactured in Jakarta, or China or the U.S.? Any plans on adding the Stellar Labs Tri-boom designs to the Xtreme line? Also, moderator dkreichen1968 would like to know if these antennas are "cut for 862 MHz (Channel 79 or 80)".

Forgive my ignorance. I'm not trying to stir the pot. These are sincere questions, to which I'd really appreciate a reply. I'm sure others are curious as well.

TIA,
Rick

Solid Signal

DTVUSA Jr. Member
All excellent questions. I will get to the bottom of what is being offered by other countries.

As for frequency coverage, I know these antennas are designed for current digital TV frequencies. Of course they could pick up frequencies outside that range but they're not designed to.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I wouldn't mind testing one or more, I'm just not sure what time constraints you have. I now have a free day once every few weeks instead of every weekend.

I'm currently using a DigiTenna DUV-XF.

- Trip

G

I just dropped cable tv and am having a lot of problems with the antenna we have now and would love to be one of your TV antenna testers.

palters

DTVUSA Rookie
Since I'm new at this site I don't know how to send a PM but I would love to test one of your antennas, we just dropped cable tv and are having a lot of problems with our signal breaking up and pixelation to the point we are about ready to back to cable. Currently we are using a older yagi antenna in the attic and are about 19 to 23 miles from the transmitter sites in the Kansas city area.

When everything is working well I find the HD to be far superior to the cable and satellite signals so I hope we can get this issue resolved. I'm assuming my problems are my antenna and attic mounting location.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I wish I needed a new antenna right now. I would have been willing to be a tester. I already have 2 UHF antennas that I bought from your site, the Winegard HD-1080 in 2009 for use to pick up WYIN in Gary, IN, & the original Antennas Direct DB8 for Chicago stations last November (need the 8 bay for weaker LPTV stations). Both antennas are working good for me overall. The Winegard antenna is needed, because I don't get a steady signal of WYIN without it, combined into the Winegard CC7870 coupler.

G

Antenna Tester

I am interested to test your antenna, I am an amateur radio operator I have many years of experience installing and using all types of antennas.
I have 3 towers on my property with plenty of space to install antennas.
I am located in Montreal,Canada.
Jim Miller
ve2rq

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
I am currently making small homemade antenna's and would love to find an antenna that is designed to work as I desire it lol. My elements are currently too small I think, and would gladly put a down-payment on something like this post, and if it worked well, I would gladly finish paying for the item. Even with the option to return it for full price if it didn't improve my current situation much. I think I need to just break down and get a roof-top antenna, I'm just... hesitant with all these antenna's I've seen on the internet. I would be amazed to use an antenna that picks up my current untouchable stations 105-140 miles away (currently getting 10-12% signal on them at night time with my crazy homemade panels) but that is not enough signal to even see the station name hehe, let alone a frozen image.

I'm currently looking for mainly a UHF antenna with VHF/HI capabilities. UHF with possibilities of 110-140 miles (that's not needed, just dreaming), and VHF/HI that can reach out 40-50 miles. What would be freaking awesome is an antenna that can pickup from East and West at the same time lol. I'd never really need to move it much!!! But then... I'd need to be pinched to wake up! Maybe... :p

I am currently making small homemade antenna's and would love to find an antenna that is designed to work as I desire it lol. My elements are currently too small I think, and would gladly put a down-payment on something like this post, and if it worked well, I would gladly finish paying for the item. Even with the option to return it for full price if it didn't improve my current situation much. I think I need to just break down and get a roof-top antenna, I'm just... hesitant with all these antenna's I've seen on the internet. I would be amazed to use an antenna that picks up my current untouchable stations 105-140 miles away (currently getting 10-12% signal on them at night time with my crazy homemade panels) but that is not enough signal to even see the station name hehe, let alone a frozen image.
This is a great site to break down all the hype, which seems to get more than its due in the antenna industry. The 105-140 mile reception is not going to happen (despite the ads for some Chinese antennas) due to the curvature of the earth. You may get some tropospheric reception during freak weather conditions, but that's rare and fleeting. 60 or 70 miles is about the maximum for digital RF -- maybe a little more for VHF.

I'm currently looking for mainly a UHF antenna with VHF/HI capabilities. UHF with possibilities of 110-140 miles (that's not needed, just dreaming), and VHF/HI that can reach out 40-50 miles. What would be freaking awesome is an antenna that can pickup from East and West at the same time lol. I'd never really need to move it much!!! But then... I'd need to be pinched to wake up! Maybe... :p
For a tough bidirectional situation, you should look at my two antenna / two tuner setup described here:
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...7244-combining-two-unlike-antennas-kicks.html

You'll need to click to post #33.

Rick

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Rick wrote:

"This is a great site to break down all the hype, which seems to get more than its due in the antenna industry. The 105-140 mile reception is not going to happen (despite the ads for some Chinese antennas) due to the curvature of the earth. You may get some tropospheric reception during freak weather conditions, but that's rare and fleeting. 60 or 70 miles is about the maximum for digital RF -- maybe a little more for VHF."

Almost spot-on :thumb: but I receive a UHF station transmitting three channels from just over 75 miles away using a home-built single channel Yagi. Readers, look at my Project-35 photos in my image folders here.

Jim

Solid Signal

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The results of the testing were very encouraging. We took our Xtreme Signal antennas out in the world and in every single case they performed within specs. We were even able to add limited VHF-High ability to our spec sheets based on feedback from testers who reported that they unexpectedly got VHF-High channels with what we thought was a UHF antenna. We also used some of the feedback to improve our packing and shipping procedures to make sure that people get the best possible experience when they use their antennas.