Question: Antenna to get stations in two directions (KY-IN)

N9NGF

DTVUSA Rookie
Looking for recommendation on an antenna to get reception in two directions.

I have built a couple of 4 bay antennas that work well in one direction, but did not have much luck combining them without a lot of loss, plus I don't think they would handle the wind very well.
I'm not opposed to building something, but it will have to be able to withstand some wind.
In any case, by combining them I am losing some of the gain and some of the channels. With one antenna pointing at the desired direction, I can get everything I want in that direction, it's just losing too much gain when combining them.

Here is my TVFOOL report.
TV Fool

Radar-All.jpg

With the current 4 bay, I can get WBKI 34-1 pretty solid with the 4-bay from my living room (120 miles away), and several other stations in KY, but I don't get a reliable signal to the Indy stations, unless I am pointing the antenna at them. I should also mention that I am in a pretty high location, but I would be mounting this on the roof about 40-45 feet high.

Would the Antennas Direct DB-8e be worth a shot for this?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: N9NGF

The majority of the 'apparently strong' TV transmitters are NE of you and most of them should be easily received. However, your post indicated you want to build or buy a bi-directional antenna and there is nothing of value to be received from your SW. We need more details to continue.

Jim and the DTVUSA Staff.

Building a quality 4 bay with no reflector and mounting it outside might be a good step in the right direction. If you like to build I can provide links that will provide the correct dimensions. The well known board and coat hanger plans are very poor and not even close to the correct dimensions.
When I first read your post I missed the part about the living room. I take it that was where the antennas are located.
Combining two antennas pointed different directions seldom produces good results. The best way to do it is to build a switched antenna system or use two tuners. Remote controlled coax switches are not as easy to find as they were a couple of years ago. Low cost HD tuners are widely available. The DB8e is probably not the right solution if you want all available channels in your area. The balun on the DB8e is known not to pass high VHF signals real channels 7 to 13, and aiming the panels separate directions gets you into the same problems as any other combined antennas aiming separate directions.
Steve

N9NGF

DTVUSA Rookie
There are several channels that I would consider a must to my SE.
WAVEDT3 3.3 137
WHASDT2 11.2 138
WLKYDT2 32.2 137
WBKIDT2 34.2 148
WDRBDT2 41.2 139
WMYODT 58.1 139
WMYODT2 58.2 139

Most all the stations North are at 19-23 degrees and all the stations south are at ~137 degrees.
With one 4 bay pointing at either of these locations I get everything I want, I am just looking for a way to combine these with some decent gain.
I don't want to use a switchbox, or a rotator.
I am using a 4 tuner Roamio OTA if that matters.

Also, since I am testing in my living room, I am wondering if once I actually get the antennas in the air, that I will have enough gain to get everything.
I will try one of the 4-bays without the reflector tonite after work.

The 4 bay I built was based off the Kosmic Superquad dimensions.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-reception-antenna-discussion/8629-kosmic-antennas-superquad-4-bay-bowtie.html

What you are trying to do is not likely to be easy to pull off. The first problem is combiner loss cutting the signal, then reradiation loss, and multi path loss. It can become like trying to build an old fashion small cable company head end with out the needed resources, knowledge, and experienced needed to do the job. I not saying it can't, or hasn't been done with limited resources. There really is not an easy plug and play solution that I'm aware of to do what you are trying to do.
Some have had success by using separate amplifiers for each antenna ahead of the combiner. The use of amplifiers can present more problems keeping the whole system balanced, and potential for overload from strong nearby TV, FM, and out of band signals.
I've read several complaints about the tuners in the TIVO Roamio. It is my understanding that it has an amplifier ahead of the internal splitter in an effort to overcome losses.
If the WBKI signal is coming from 120 miles away on real channel 19 I wouldn't expect it to be there all of the time. I took time to look it up. The WBKI signal is also being transmitted on channel 51 by WMYO.
WMYO SALEM, IN
The Kosmic SuperQuad is one of the better DIY antenna designs.

Steve

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Steve,

EV sent me a Kosmic Super-Quad. I tested it 'against' several other antennas and I determined it was the WRONG antenna for me because it captured too much signal. In my location with 5 different channel megawatt transmitters less than a mile away from me - EV's antenna was too much antenna.

If in a distant or Fringe situation -- the KSQ Engineering/antenna makes sense.

Jim

UHF Kosmic SuperQuad Flat vs Swept Bows

PS (edit) I never tried it without its reflector for bi-directional reception)

Last edited:

N9NGF

DTVUSA Rookie
Still haven't gad a chance to play with anything. Very busy at work.
I should have some time this week.
And yes it is WBKI that I am getting. I also get WMYO out of Salem. It's not very far from me at all.
One of the guys at our local electronics shop had some ideas that he said had worked well for him.
He uses two different antennas with a Winegard LNA-200.
For $45 I think I will try it.
I wouldn't mind trying one of these out anyway, even if I don't end up using it.

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
You will best be served by running two cables down from separate antennas and using an RF switch to select the antenna.

The problem with joining two antennas pointing in separate directions is that half of the signal from antenna A goes to your TV and the other half is re-radiated out of antenna B and vice versa.

If your signals are strong it can work, but in your case it is doubtful - use the RF switch.