Antenna Upgrade? - details incudled

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Antenna Upgrade? - details included

OK, I have used the Philips PHDTV1 Silver Sensor for a while with my media center PC. It has mostly worked and has been even better since I have moved into the city. But now that I can get more channels, I want them all to be high quality all the time with out having to "point" the antenna. It is really only a couple channels I have to do this for.

Here is the info from TV Fool: TV Fool

Keep in mind, that all of the channels I think I want/need are in the "green", in the NW quadrant. But also keep in mind, the more "quality signal" channels I can get the better!

From this info it seems like an indoor or smaller indoor/outdoor antenna will do the trick.

The house is brick house (plaster walls), 3.5 stories high (English basement) with no tall buildings/trees around it. I plan on putting the antenna in the attic in the future, but for now, the antenna will be on main floor (1st floor). This is because I want to run the cables properly, and it is old house (1913), so it is not that easy.

I was considering the Winegard FV-HD30 because it seems flexible in terms of mounting and is getting some good reviews. After looking through these forums I figured it might be good to get some opinions from the experts. It seems like the DB4 (or DB2) is one of the overall best options and although it is a little larger then I wanted, if it is best option, I can make it work.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
:welcome:

I'll give you the bad news first: Brick tends to stop signals cold. The good news is that your signals are so strong that what gets through the windows is probably more than sufficient. Your main issue is probably multipath interference -- signal reflections within the room or attic that tend to "confuse" digital tuners, which is what causes those annoying pauses.

Moving the antenna to a west or north-facing window might just clear up the hiccups without the need for a new antenna. You can buy another length of RG-6 coax and splice it to the Silver Sensor's cable with a female-to-female "bullet" connector to make it long enough if need be.

If you really do need a new antenna, Winegard's FV-HD30 has tested reasonably well for a compact model; it can even be painted without compromising reception. Your signals are so strong that you don't need anything as big as a DB4; Antennas Direct's DB2 would be fine.

I'd also recommend considering a Terk HDTVi, which is basically the same thing as your Silver Sensor, but with "rabbit-ear" dipoles added for VHF. That's where your ABC 7.1 and CBS 9.1 affiliates broadcast from. I'd recommend an HDTVi highly if your reception hiccups occur most frequently on these two stations.

When it comes time to move the antenna up to the attic, any one of these models will be fine as long as it's aimed at the stations through an asphalt-over-plywood roof, or just behind a west- or north-facing window. Whatever you decide, don't buy an antenna pre-amp or any indoor antenna with built-in amplification. (Beware: Terk's HDTVa is the amplified version of the HDTVi.) Your signals are way too strong to use any kind of amp.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I bet teh couple of channels you have to move the SilverSensor for are Ch. 7 and 9 ABC and CBS, both VHF High.

The SilverSensor while not a VHF High antenna, gives you some halfway decent negative gain on VHF High but not in the direction of the UHF elements, but rather 90 degrees left and right of the uhf "arrow".

EscapeVelocity

I'd also recommend considering a Terk HDTVi, which is basically the same thing as your Silver Sensor, but with "rabbit-ear" dipoles added for VHF. That's where your ABC 7.1 and CBS 9.1 affiliates broadcast from. I'd recommend an HDTVi highly if your reception hiccups occur most frequently on these two stations.

When it comes time to move the antenna up to the attic, any one of these models will be fine as long as it's aimed at the stations through an asphalt-over-plywood roof, or just behind a west- or north-facing window. Whatever you decide, don't buy an antenna pre-amp or any indoor antenna with built-in amplification. (Beware: Terk's HDTVa is the amplified version of the HDTVi.) Your signals are way too strong to use any kind of amp.
Great post, I second it.

You can also use your SilverSensor with Rabbit Ears combined with the UVSJ. The DB2 isnt any better, its gain and beamwidth similar to the SilverSensor and Terk HDTVi.

The Terk HDTVi combines the Rabbit Ears with a SilverSensor type Log Periodic UHF section. Its also of higher quality build than the SilverSensor.

Last edited:

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It has actually been trying to get 5.1 and 20.1 to work at the same time.

The Silver sensor doesn't seem to have with 7.1 and 9.1.

Not sure if I "really need" a new antenna, but figured this one has been through a lot and thought a better one may help.

Will the DB2 not pick up VHF channels?

EscapeVelocity

The DB2 will pick up very strong VHF High channels....but it isnt a very good VHF High antenna (though probably better than the SilverSensor).

If you are struggling with 5.1 and 20.1, they are located on real channels UHF 35 and UHF 36 and what you are suffering from is adjacent channel interference from very strong adjacent channel signals, bleeding into each other.

Last edited:

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Great post, I second it.

You can also use your SilverSensor with Rabbit Ears combined with the UVSJ. The DB2 isnt any better, its gain and beamwidth similar to the DB2.

The Terk HDTVi combines the Rabbit Ears with a SilverSensor type Log Periodic UHF section. Its also of higher quality build than the SilverSensor.
Thanks for the feedback!

Never mind my question about the DB2... I am going to try an move the Silver Sensor closer to a window with a longer cable for now. I was trying to keep it hidden as much as possible since it is in the living room. I will see if that clears up my issues.

I'll get the HDTVi or combine the Silver Sensor with rabbit ears when I move it to the attic. If I don't get everything I want then I may need to come back to the forums for help (or get an outdoor antenna).

Are there VHF channels I am missing out on with the Silver Sensor, it seems to pick them up?

EscapeVelocity

If you get 7 and 9 with the SilverSensor, then dont worry about it.

Moving the antenna to a better location over by a window could help.

But that adjacent channel interference is tough.

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If you get 7 and 9 with the SilverSensor, then dont worry about it.

Moving the antenna to a better location over by a window could help.

But that adjacent channel interference is tough.
OK, thanks, I will try moving it and see what happens.

One last question, just in case I need/want to go outside at some point... is there a small outdoor antenna I could mount to the side of a deck that you would recommend? Would it be the DB2? I have deck on the first and second floor, so it may be even better then the attic in the future.

EscapeVelocity

The DB2 is one of my favorites. If you are picking up the VHF High stations with the SilverSensor then it should work well for you. Please note the Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF is the same antenna at about half the price.

The Antennas Direct Clearstream1 and Clearstream2 are also nice.

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The DB2 is one of my favorites. If you are picking up the VHF High stations with the SilverSensor then it should work well for you. Please note the Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF is the same antenna at about half the price.

The Antennas Direct Clearstream1 and Clearstream2 are also nice.
One last question, when you say "VHF High stations" what exactly does that mean? Are there low stations?

EscapeVelocity

Ch. 7 and 9

The wavelengths are longer and they are in a different frequency band than UHF Ch. 14-51

VHF High is Ch. 7-13 175 Mhz to 215 Mhz
UHF is Ch. 14-51 470 Mhz to 700 Mhz

However they are not contiguous on the frequency spectrum as their channel nomenclature would lead you to believe.

otteridiz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ch. 7 and 9

The wavelengths are longer and they are in a different frequency band than UHF Ch. 14-51

VHF High is Ch. 7-13 175 Mhz to 215 Mhz
UHF is Ch. 14-51 470 Mhz to 700 Mhz

However they are not contiguous on the frequency spectrum as their channel nomenclature would lead you to believe.
OK, thanks for the explanation... now I'll understand what people are talking about better... I guess the channel nomenclature is what threw me off.