Question: Antenna

Are you absolutely nothing or just not what you're looking for?

Move the antenna outdoors and scan again.

You're in (almost) a nasty valley (at Seola Park at 32nd and 114th). TVfool is probably too optimistic for your forecast.

You will likely need a real antenna with decent height.

Reception in the Seattle area is complicated by having towers in four different directions. You may need to pick which stations to focus on and may need to accept that it won't be possible to get everything without a complex system that includes a rotor.

Last edited:

tweggs

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the reply!
I returned that antenna. I hoped I could find an antenna that would work? I have no problem with a outdoor type. I just don't know what would work best in this hole.
Cheers, Terry

SWHouston

Staff member
Terry,

I would have gone back to TVFool and re-run your chart at an Antenna height greater than 20 ft, but given what PSho said about the terrain, you'll need to put in your exact address, which I didn't have.

But, I'd try it at 40ft and see if more stations popped up on your chart, if so, then you'd at least know if additional height would help.
(be sure to give us a link to that new chart, like you did your original chart, where we can see the differences)

No doubt a Rotator is going to be a consideration, though you might select a simple stationary short range Antenna for a couple channels (KBTC/K47LG) as a starter.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:

tweggs

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the help! I think I'm in a bad spot and may not have any luck on this one. I've been on Direct TV for 10+ YRS Just would like to have some FREE TV.
This is the link for the antenna at 40ft TV Fool
Cheers, Terry

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Terry,
Your new 40' elevation TV FOOL report is very promising and I suspect you could receive the stations to your north and south on the same 'screen-type' antenna, with the screen removed and avoid the need for a rotor. You might be able to find an old-style Channel Master 4221 or 4228 on Craigslist, the new version 4228HD is available at Fry's in Renton, or EV's Kosmic SuperQuad come to mind. Channels 9, 11 and 13 are VHF and may require a second antenna to receive them.

If you don't need FOX-13 in HD, it is also transmitted SD on the KMYQ-25 sub-channel. 47 and 26 are KIRO-7 (39) translators. I'm a bit surprised how low the KVOS-12 (35) signal level is: what is directly north of you? Hills?
Jim

tweggs

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Jim thanks for your Help!
Yes its up hill, infact it appears like I have two hills to deal with. I also have some trees in the green belt to the NE of me.
I'll have a look for these antennas on Craigs list. I've seen the ones at Fry's.
Back on the 40' antenna, My roof is up about 20' so this would be on a 20' pole I guess? This sounds like a major project
Thanks again, Terry

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Terry,

If necessary, how high could you "get away with" having an antenna without annoying your neighbors? Fry's also has three-section 30' telescopic masts in stock. If you have a centrally located chimney and are willing to install two levels of guy wires, that would raise you to 50' elevation above ground. (shhhhhhh ... I have two telescopic masts here)...

When you try an outside antenna you will probably have your TV or converter box scan for channels. However, by accident I discovered the only way I can receive KONG-16 (31) is about 2 feet below my roofline and KING-5 (48) between 18 and 20 feet up, no higher and no lower. So, if you have a troublesome channel I recommend you manually set the receiver on the channel, then raise and lower your antenna: the signal might magically appear! :dance:

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
tweggs,

Thanks for the updated chart, as you can see, you moved from 2 LOS (Line of Sight) channels, to 7. So, height works for you !

Jim has made an excellent recommendation, for the simplest assembly, that being Antenna, Mount/Mast and of course Cable.

Understand, unless I've miss something (Jim please chip in) with the proposed aiming, that is not going to get your Fox Channel, given it's 90° off that original bi-directional Azimuth.

Your other options would be...

Get a "Cut" Antenna (UHFhi), which would be stationary, pointed toward the Fox Channel an use a Combiner to put the two together. This would be a minor increase ($50) in the cost of the project.
or,
Go with a very Directional Antenna and a Rotator. The Rotator would probably increase the cost of the project about $100, over the original proposal, but, with that addition, you stand the chance of picking up several more channels.

General recommendations for the options...
Cut UHFhi Antenna = Winegard YA-6713
Combiner = Winegard CC-7870
or...
Directional Antenna = Winegard HD-7694P
Rotator = Channel Master CM-9521A

S.W.

tweggs

DTVUSA Jr. Member
You Guy's are great! Thanks for the help. I may opt for the very basic cable and a Tivo box hooked to the internet? The price is about $12 and they will reduce my internet cable by $12. This looks like a winner concidering my location.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
tweggs,

Thanks for the updated chart, as you can see, you moved from 2 LOS (Line of Sight) channels, to 7. So, height works for you !

Jim has made an excellent recommendation, for the simplest assembly, that being Antenna, Mount/Mast and of course Cable.

Understand, unless I've miss something (Jim please chip in) with the proposed aiming, that is not going to get your Fox Channel, given it's 90° off that original bi-directional Azimuth.

Your other options would be...

Get a "Cut" Antenna (UHFhi), which would be stationary, pointed toward the Fox Channel an use a Combiner to put the two together. This would be a minor increase ($50) in the cost of the project.
or,
Go with a very Directional Antenna and a Rotator. The Rotator would probably increase the cost of the project about $100, over the original proposal, but, with that addition, you stand the chance of picking up several more channels.

General recommendations for the options...
Cut UHFhi Antenna = Winegard YA-6713
Combiner = Winegard CC-7870
or...
Directional Antenna = Winegard HD-7694P
Rotator = Channel Master CM-9521A

S.W.
-----------------------------
S.W. :thumb:
I mentioned the KCPQ FOX-13 issue to Terry earlier. Agreed, it likely would require a rotor to receive it directly in HD, but its also rebroadcast on the KMYQ sub-channel in SD. I don't know if KMYQ has a second sub-channel covering KCPQs 24 hour weathercast on 13.2.
Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim,

My apologies for the repeat, it's so easy to overlook text on a multiple page Thread.

Terry,

Great, having Cable and Internet seems to be a viable way to go for you, BUT, don't discount the value of having an OTA system even through it's not getting all the channels available to you as a backup.
I don't know how many times I've "thank goodnessed" my OTA, when the weather or other problems took my Cable out.

S.W.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
S.W.

Your recommendation, to have at least something (OTA) for a backup when cable or dish dies is worth concidering, especially in an emergency. :thumb:

As FOX_TV wrote on another thread here (paraphrased) OTA TV can literally cover thousands of square miles and they often have diesel backup generators to do exactly that: whereas a cell phone tower at best, may cover 10 square miles and has no backup power source. Cable, dish and cell phones dead? Where would you get information? I know what I would do.

Jim