Antennacraft G1483 opinions please?

ChocLab

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Just curious about any real-world experiences with this antenna from Summit Source. Of course there's a ton of info out there on the web about the homemade Gray-Hoverman variations, but I haven't seen that much about the commercial version other than a little bit from Escape Velocity.

I got a couple of them from Summit Source on Friday, but haven't even opened the box yet. (One was for my home use where my eight-year-old Winegard 4400 is too beat up to use much anymore. I got a second to defray the big shipping cost, figuring I could find some use for it sometime.)

One thing I thought was curious is that I've seen it stated that these were old stock SS had, but the sticker on the box looks new (if that makes sense) and states that it's for channels 14-60. So I wonder if these really were tweaked a few years ago to fit the more modern UHF spectrum.

Thanks for any opinions. :)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Choclab,

I have a pair of stacked AntennaCraft Hoverman antennas on my deck right now, waiting for me to test them. They have the 'factory' side-stacking kit but I need to trim trees before I can put the 25 sq ft monster in the air. Good post: I haven't read much about them and hopefully others here have experiences to share.

Jim

ChocLab

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well, I took finally one out of the box for my home use, where for a few years I've a Winegard 4400 on a piece of PVC stuck up into the attic through the crawl space in a closet. (The 4400 because it's a small hole, and in the attic because it's an apartment.) I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw the 1483, because the wire elements in particular are very flimsy. But I'm impressed with the performance. One reason I decided on the Hoverman was that I'd read it would be better on VHF, where I do have one channel on physical channel 11. But I worried a little bit about our Fox on physical channel 15, which is somewhat weak and blocked by a large building next door. I had to get the 4400 situated just right to get both of these, particularly the VHF-Hi one, rock steady all the time with no pixelation. Before, the PVC would periodically rotate slightly and I'd get pixeling on the channel 11.

Well, the Hoverman picked up both of these in my hand next to the TV! So when I got it up on the pole in the attic, it worked even better, with high signal strengths on all channels. What's more, I sometimes watch a small UHF analog channel 48 that has NBA games and replays of old college football games, and the Hoverman gave a better picture on it than I'd ever gotten on the 4400. (And for the record, I consider the 4400 a darn good little 4-bay UHF antenna.)

About the only small negative is that my analog PBS station had a little more ghosting than before, but that's to be expected with the wider beamwidth of the Hoverman and being in an attic. Plus, I have a hard time getting a good picture on that station even at my location at work, for whatever reason.

So I'm really intrigued. I've always been a fan of the Winegard 8800, which of course is just two ganged 4400s. If one Hoverman is noticeably better than the 4400, shouldn't two Hovermans be better than an 8800? I may have to try that sometime.

Would still like to hear other opinions from anyone else who has compared the Hoverman to some other good UHF antennas!

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Choclab,

Thank you for your report. Since you are now experiencing more ghosting on your analog PBS, would it be practical for you to switch between both antennas by running a second coaxial cable and using an 'A-B' switch?

Jim

ChocLab

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Jim, I could... But it's not that big a deal to me, to be honest. I did rotate the antenna a touch and it cleared up quite a bit.

Since I posted last, I also put the other Hoverman up at my DX location (you might call it) in place of a Channel Master 4248 Yagi I'd had up there before. It doesn't seem to be as good as the 4248, which isn't too surprising compared to a fringe antenna. But the signal meter is just under where I can get a signal, and sometimes I can get a signal. So that's not too bad for such a small, light antenna. (And the light weight is pretty nice on my somewhat temporary mast.)

Next I need to decide if it's worth it to gang two Hovermans together for my DX application.

Jim, when you say you have a pair of stacked ones ready to test, am I reading correctly that you have four Hovermans ganged together? I would love to hear your results with that. Have you tried just two of them?