Antennas Direct 91XG or Channel Master 4228HD

MShu

DTVUSA Rookie
need a good long range antenna. broadcast towers are 50-55 miles away, and spread within 40 degrees of each other. I have a tall shed that I plan on mounting the antenna to because it's out of view from the neighbors and myself. it's about 100' away from my house and I already have an extra underground pvc pipe to run the coax in. I plan on adding a 7777 preamp for signal loss. From what I've read here and other forums, I'm thinking about going with the Antennas Direct 91XG or the Channel Master 4228HD. Or is there another I should think about? I'm concerned about durability too because it gets pretty cold here in Wisconsin.

dxndallas

DTVUSA Jr. Member
no experience with either of those antennas but i have used the older model 4228. not sure what the improvements are but specs do show that the 4228HD is lighter. here is amazons description on the 4228HD
"Channel Master's 4228HD antenna can receive digital and analog over-the-air TV signals in the UHF band and high VHF band. The 4228HD is optimized for "deep-fringe" reception of HDTV and receives digital and analog UHF and high-band VHF TV signals; range is 60 miles for UHF (ch. 14-69), 45 miles for VHF (ch. 7-13); 8-bay bowtie dipole design; 41"W x 5-1/2"D x 33"H."

go with the 91-xg the 4228 hd does not have the gain of the 91-xg and is not as good as the old channel master 4228 has much less gain. tied the 91-xg to a wineguard 4800 pre amp and it will do a 100 miles easy.

Piggie

Super Moderator
A good place to look is Ken Nist's Comparing Commercial Antenna's page.
Comparing some commercially available antennas

You will see if you believe Ken and so far he has been dead on with things of his I have tried, it depends on your local channels.

On the lower channels the Winegard PR8800 per hdtvprimer beats the 91XG on channels 14 to 35. They hold up well in snow and ice.

Two antennas that are at a good price are the
AntennaCraft MXU47
AntennaCraft MXU59

Ken has never modeled or tested them. I don't know anyone using the MXU59, but do the MXU47 with excellent results. There is also no data on them for snow and icing that I know where to find.

100 miles on UHF if the terrain is in your favor or you count tropo. Here is North Central FL the practical range of UHF is about 60 miles at 30 ft and that is pushing it.