Antennas Direct Profit Up 224% (First Quarter 2009)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm glad to see any company doing well but when your profit goes up 224%, you're entering "lucrative territory". :) This is a press release so read past all of the hype but it still says something about OTA and DTV and HDTV reception.

June 1, 2009: ST. LOUIS, Mo. – Consumer frustration with DTV reception coupled with high consumer approval ratings for Antennas Direct’s over-the-air antennas has pushed sales for the company’s first quarter of 2009 up 224% over the first quarter of 2008. With a sizable amount of media attention, industry enthusiasm and consumer demand, St. Louis-based antenna manufacturer Antennas Direct has transformed quickly from a one-man company to a multimillion dollar business by designing the most efficient, mass-produced TV antennas tuned specifically for digital frequencies.

“Educating the public on the differences in television antenna technology has been one of our biggest challenges,” said Richard Schneider, president of Antennas Direct. “But people are beginning to understand -- not in technical terms, but results -- that there is a difference among antennas when it comes to digital reception. Our sales in first quarter of 2009 totaled over $2 million, which is more revenue than our company made the entire year of 2006.”
Successful DTV Reception Pushes Antennas Direct First-Quarter up 224% - HomeToys Home Technology News

Thomas G

Contributor
It's a good time to be a converter box or antenna manufacture. Just wait until we see some of the earnings on Cable and Satellite providers.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm glad to see any company doing well but when your profit goes up 224%, you're entering "lucrative territory". :) This is a press release so read past all of the hype but it still says something about OTA and DTV and HDTV reception.
Antennas Direct is the epitome of hype with the most dishonest marketing techniques in the industry. They also have most of the highest prices in the market.

This company's marketing dept drives engineering, meaning the tail is wagging the dog.

It's obvious this has worked on the nanny state masses of America by their profits. This speaks badly of how effect it is to lie and deceive the public for profit, because it works. People want to hear or see what they want to hear or see without considering companies lie and deceive more than ever these days.

Other Antenna manufacturers are also guilty, but not in my opinion to the extent Antennas Direct is guilty. The only thing they make worth buying is XG91, but there are other UHF's with a lot of gain as well.

To date I have had several people return their ClearStream to the store, buy something I suggested at a lower price and solved their antenna issues.

The link below is where there was a press release on the ClearStream2 from back a year ago. Ken Nist tells the truth about the antenna, then Richard Schneider the owner sees the post and jumps in. Gets interesting.

Ken Nist, kq6qv in the forum (his ham call sign), and more widely known for his HDTVPrimer.com website, discusses what I am talking about when I say I don't like the company in general.

Richard Schneider, the owner of Antennas Direct gives his companies view point when confronted by Ken.

It's very good and interesting read. Guess you know who I believe and stand by, Ken Nist of HDTVPrimer.com, as I have used his suggestions, site, formulas, etc etc and they work on the money.

And I have seen a lot of people get a Clear Stream antenna home to find out it doesn't work work beans on VHF , they could have bought the right antenna much cheaper.

Read the whole thread, it's short, about 10 minute read, then you be the judge if this company is worth supporting. I don't.

HDTV Magazine - HDTV Forum - View topic - Antennas Direct's Clearstream2 Antenna Available for Pre-Order

Piggie

Super Moderator
It's a good time to be a converter box or antenna manufacture. Just wait until we see some of the earnings on Cable and Satellite providers.
Yeap, I am going to be on the phone to my buddy that is a chief engineer here locally, to get him to look up the Nielsen stats on percent of our local market for cable, sat vs OTA. Their station normally buys the book each month.

OTA had been steadily rising for the last 2 years from 7 to 11% for the Gainesville FL DMA

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Watch out Antennas Direct. The 0bama administration will not tolerate price gouging during an emergency. First oil companys post record profits and now Antennas Direct. When are companys going to learn you do not work for profit in the USA:)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Watch out Antennas Direct. The 0bama administration will not tolerate price gouging during an emergency. First oil companys post record profits and now Antennas Direct. When are companys going to learn you do not work for profit in the USA:)
I have no complaints with Antennas Direct's profit, more power to them.

I have a problem with what I consider misleading advertising on their part.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I have no complaints with Antennas Direct's profit, more power to them.

I have a problem with what I consider misleading advertising on their part.
Hope you didn't think I was condemning your comment. I don't appreciate the advertising tactics being used by any of the antenna retailers. Most advertisers misled people into believing they needed to purchase a new antenna.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Hope you didn't think I was condemning your comment. I don't appreciate the advertising tactics being used by any of the antenna retailers. Most advertisers misled people into believing they needed to purchase a new antenna.
I wasn't sure so I made sure I was clear I was not against the profits, not just for you but anyone lurking the thread.

I agree on all of the companies misleading people to take advantage just like the cable companies have done.

I agree with Ken Nist that Antennas Direct was one of the worse in misleading.

Just like watching the cable vs the satellite company ads here in the Gainesville market, the cable companies have been more misleading about the transition.

But I think you might be saying does it matter who is worse if they all did it? I can see that point clearly.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I wasn't sure so I made sure I was clear I was not against the profits, not just for you but anyone lurking the thread.

I agree on all of the companies misleading people to take advantage just like the cable companies have done.

I agree with Ken Nist that Antennas Direct was one of the worse in misleading.

Just like watching the cable vs the satellite company ads here in the Gainesville market, the cable companies have been more misleading about the transition.

But I think you might be saying does it matter who is worse if they all did it? I can see that point clearly.
I always thought their DB line was decent.