Antennas Pick up Spare Change

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article:
An antenna is a beautiful thing -- shiny aluminum tubing high above my rooftop catching the first rays of the sun as well as eight channels of the clearest high definition television you can imagine.

The best part? There's no cable or satellite bill, no service interruptions when my TV provider is down, no problems with reception during the heaviest storm and -- did I mention? -- no monthly bill.

You may know by now but television that arrives over-the-air direct to an antenna has the potential for a picture that is much better than even the best cable or satellite service. Televisions signals are compressed to make the best use of the bandwidth available. Cable and satellite providers use the most compression, over-the-air broadcasts use the least. That lack of compression shows up on your screen as a better picture...

...But antennas come in all sizes and types, including discrete indoor antennas, the ones we call rabbit ears. It could be that you could use a smaller indoor antenna and still receive several stations -- maybe as a way to supplement your cable or satellite service. Or, for those who find that they're getting most of their TV from streaming video or DVDs now, a small antenna would be a nice supplement providing local news and network TV.
Read More: Antennas pick up spare change  | ajc.com

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
ONLY 8 channels? I thought my "only" 30 channels was pretty poor...

And WHY do these stories always point folks to AntennaWeb, rather than TVfool or RabbitEars?? AntennaWeb is poorly maintained, minimal, and inaccurate. After all, CEA Co - sponsors it, and they are clearly anti - OTA, and pro- wireless pay services. They have no reason to actually encourage OTA viewing.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
And WHY do these stories always point folks to AntennaWeb, rather than TVfool or RabbitEars?? AntennaWeb is poorly maintained, minimal, and inaccurate. After all, CEA Co - sponsors it, and they are clearly anti - OTA, and pro- wireless pay services. They have no reason to actually encourage OTA viewing.
In fact, I believe that CEA purposely designed the site to discourage people from using OTA. My Colorado Springs stations are listed as red and blue. Do I really need an amplified HBU33 to pick up stations that come in easily on a RCA ANT-111? I don't think so. The whole thing was engineered to keep people from even trying. The NAB just recently took it over from CEA. I wish they would dump Gary Shaprio, fix it up so it is worth while, or take it down completely.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Could it be 8 because that is what cable is required to provide? I got that from a Comcast tech who says they rotate the channels but that to people without 'cable' they have to provide 8 channels like that.