Any chance of OTA reception here?

cookieli

DTVUSA Rookie
I've moved to a new home and have done lots of research on antennas. But I'm still not sure if I am a candidate for OTA reception, and due to high postage to order/return a large antenna I haven't yet attempted the "try a few and see" method. Any help here would be appreciated!

Here are my tvfool results.

Its a single story house, metal roof, 3800' elevation, forested areas between me and the transmitters near sea level. Will be mounting on a mast a few feet above the roof. There is an old satellite dish not currently in use on the roof but well away from the mast (20 feet or so).

Will I be able to get anything besides channel 41? Advice?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If you like PBS, NHK World, and PBS Create, YES - All on 41 AND 28. Possibly CBS/ NBC on channel 22 (Dual 720p). Also, please try your TVfool again with a height of 30 ft, and lets see if improves.

You may also want to consider a Free-To-Air satellite system, start here:

Free-to-Air (FTA)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
MrPogi-
Ah yep, that is the answer I thought I might get. Sad.

This is the revised tvfool with 30 foot height.

I took a quick look at FTA and went cross-eyed - so much more to research! Thank you for the link, I will probably be spending the rest of my day off today checking into that. Had no idea there was another option.
Your not going to be able to tell until you try. Here in Colorado I get stations that TVfool predicts as being grays quite easily and I'm twice as far away from the towers as you are. If you can get something with rabbit ears outdoors an outdoor antenna will defintely work. You have quite a bit of high VHF which can bend around obsticles quite well.

MrPogi

Staff member
FTA may not cost as much as you think to get the ball rolling. Being close to the equator, you can get away with a smaller dish, and new receivers can be had for around $100 - FTA Receivers at Amazon . Some receivers can even act as a PVR using the USB port for a Hard Drive.

There's more to learn with FTA than just using an antenna, but once you've got it set up and locked in your first satellite, the rest is easy.

EDIT: Perhaps if the "OLD DISH" on your roof is large enough, you could use it for FTA.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
Your not going to be able to tell until you try. Here in Colorado I get stations that TVfool predicts as being grays quite easily and I'm twice as far away from the towers as you are. If you can get something with rabbit ears outdoors an outdoor antenna will defintely work. You have quite a bit of high VHF which can bend around obsticles quite well.
Sure, I'd try it. The terrain in Hawaii is pretty rugged and difficult to map. Perhaps, if you're crafty, you could build an antenna to try it, or purchase an antenna (and some RG6 Coax if needed) at a store with a liberal return policy and try it. Worst case, you lose an afternoon building it, or buying and trying it out, then take the antenna back.

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
If you buy the Winegard HD7698P also buy a Winegard AP8700 Preamp and Winegard has different types of antenna mounts for mounting at your location. I recommend buy direct form Winegard if they can put the HD7698P in a special shipping box so the antenna does not get broken , Winegard Direct.com - Winegard TV Antennas and Accessories. If Winegard can not put the antenna in a box that will protect the antenna from being broken then see if Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories , can.

Last edited:

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
A all channel antenna that receives channels 2 thru 6 is not required for your location , however it is Ok to use one. Channel Master Channel Master | Digital TV Antenna, Antenna Amplifier, Antenna Mast, Digital Converter Box, TV Antenna Rotor , has a new antenna the CM5020 and new updated CM7778 preamp and Channel Master also has different types of antenna mounts. If you buy direct from Channel Master they will put the CM5020 in a special shipping box so the antenna does not get broken. Yes the CM5020 is a all channel antenna , Channel Master claims the CM5020 has better reception ability then there old CM3671 and the CM3671 was a powerful antenna so that will put the CM5020 as having the same reception ability as the HD7698P on VHF high Band 7 thru 13 and UHF 14 thru 69.

Last edited:

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
Getting the antenna higher at about 30 feet does help with reception a little. I am thinking that you should receive , K41JT UHF 41 PBS , KHBC UHF 22 NBC , KHAW VHF 11 The CW and FOX , KGMD VHF 9 CBS and This Tv. Aim the antenna at about 13 degree magnetic compass , here is how to aim antennas , Which way to point a TV or FM antenna.. It will likley also help to raise the front of the antenna up and the back of the antenna is down so the antenna is aimed at top of the ridge to the north and a little east of your location. The antenna aiming will be expermental for best reception.

Last edited:

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
The Tv Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes called the 'Antenna Channels' or 'Air Channels' in the Tv's set up menu because the Broadcast Tv Transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to your receiving antenna. Do Not scan for cable Tv channels.