Question: Any Glee fans out there?

Glee is one of my guilty pleasure shows. I was in show choir in high school so it resonates with me. For the most part, the earlier seasons of Glee were full of the catty high school drama I anticipated, but I loved the music and pretty much everything that came out of Sue Sylvester's mouth (I was a Jane Lynch fan anyway, but her character is deliciously nasty!)
As the show and its main characters have matured, I have noticed some of the themes grow up as well. All in all, I think it's more than meets the eye. What do you think?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I watched it in season 1 but the baby switch thing or whatever that turned me off. I tuned in again with Damian McGinty was on but then he wasn't brought back. Other than that, I've only watched a handful of episodes, the last of which was the farewell to Cory.

Glee is an alright television show. I had watched a couple episodes about it. But haven't gotten back into watching it. It's kind of like a musical right, a high school type of show right. I honestly don't remember what Glee is about. But I do know when I did watch it, I enjoyed the show. There are some good actors on there. Singing is something I enjoy very much and can do quite well. In high school, just like you I had been apart of the choir. Never really got the chance to be in musical , but always wanted to . I didn't want to get up there and sign up for the musical than forget my lines. See, I suffer from a bit of short term memory and even though it's unusual being 24 with short term, I do have that much a sad memory. I have to replay things in my mind over and over in order to remember them. So of course my favorite game was always memory. Any how, music is a art. I had forgotten all about Glee, until you mentioned it. Yes I am guilty for forgetting about it, but what channel do they come on again. I will have to go check it out to see how it is now. You say they're mature now, I take your word for it and would like to see for myself.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I'm a total Gleek. There have been a few creative problems over the years, with cast or storyline changes, but I am still a fan. And I even miss the Glee Project reality show.

I also liked Jane Lynch before Glee, I can't remember which of her more obscure roles I saw first, but it was long before.

And I think in some ways it is more than meets the eye, but it doesn't really need to be. There is a need for the diversity it has on TV, and the fact that there's multiple LGBT characters and actors, (and people who are wheelchair-bound, and black, and Asian, etc.) with their own entire personalities, instead of just a token one person representing all diversity, is important. Even when it's just a bunch of teenagers singing, it's fun to watch.

Also, I was in high school choir, but that show is nothing like my high school experience, haha.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
I'm not exactly a fan of the show, I don't think I've ever seen a full episode, but I did see some of their songs and covers on YouTube and they are really cool and fun to watch! I just think it's too late for me to try and get into the story, it has already gone too far for me to catch up to

I had forgotten all about Glee, until you mentioned it. Yes I am guilty for forgetting about it, but what channel do they come on again. .
Glee is a Fox show, but all previous seasons are currently on Netflix for anyone interested in catching up! The current season is on HuluPlus.

One of my favorite parts of Glee is that the actors are a mix of new singers and Broadway vets. Two of the regulars, Matthew Morrison (Mr. Schue) and Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) are both Broadway actors. Also, some of the series' guest stars include Kristen Chenoweth, Idina Menzel, and Jonathan Groff, all Broadway vets.

I did watch Glee fairly regularly before most of the regular cast moved to New York. Then it got a little weird.

The first season is DEFINITELY the best season. I remember seeing the pilot and deciding that it would be my favorite high school show. Ryan Murphy's just sort of nuts though and tries to cover too many "controversial issues." Also, mash-ups get a little old after a while.

We had to give up Glee in the house last season...my teenager would kill our DVR by not selecting (new or first run shows only)! That, and after about a season and a half, I found I couldn't even work with it on in the background!

If you haven't watched the Cory Monteith tribute episode, grab your kleenex and check it out. For the most part it is a standalone episode, even if you haven't been watching it will make sense because the plot line for that season is just sort of temporarily suspended for that one episode where everyone comes back to Lima to pay tribute to The Quarterback. Not to make light of his passing, but its always interesting to see how different projects handle the loss of a major character, whether it be to death or just issues with the actor, and I think Glee did a fantastic job with the loss of Finn, especially considering that everyone on set was obviously grieving the loss of Cory in real life.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
The first season is DEFINITELY the best season. I remember seeing the pilot and deciding that it would be my favorite high school show. Ryan Murphy's just sort of nuts though and tries to cover too many "controversial issues." Also, mash-ups get a little old after a while.
I definitely agree with the Ryan Murphy being nuts part. haha. He doesn't seem to be able to stick to any decisions, like saying there wouldn't be any more guest stars one season, and then bringing on a bunch more guest stars (which I like many of them, so I'm not complaining). And then he said he wanted to make the NYC story a spinoff, but basically threw a temper tantrum and decided he didn't want to when the actors spilled the beans on the plan.

But I'm not sure about season 1 being the best. We had to put up with Terri (and don't get me wrong, I love the actress in other shows but that character and fake pregnancy storyline was annoying). And we didn't have characters/couples like Klaine and Brittana and Beiste and Sam yet. Plus some of the other characters were on there but didn't get much screen time / solos until later. I don't think any one whole season is "best" but rather there are a few great episodes every season and some that are just filler.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
One of my favorite parts of Glee is that the actors are a mix of new singers and Broadway vets. Two of the regulars, Matthew Morrison (Mr. Schue) and Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) are both Broadway actors. Also, some of the series' guest stars include Kristen Chenoweth, Idina Menzel, and Jonathan Groff, all Broadway vets.
Jenna Ushkowitz was also on Broadway (The King and I, and as an understudy in Spring Awakening) and Jane Lynch was recently in Annie, although this was after she started on Glee.

I have never watched a full episode of Glee but I love the music. What I will do is pull up some of the songs on Youtube and watch it that way. If I knew what night of the week and channel it came on I probably would watch it but I never took the time to find out. From the sounds of it I've been missing a pretty interesting show.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
If you haven't watched the Cory Monteith tribute episode, grab your kleenex and check it out. For the most part it is a standalone episode, even if you haven't been watching it will make sense because the plot line for that season is just sort of temporarily suspended for that one episode where everyone comes back to Lima to pay tribute to The Quarterback. Not to make light of his passing, but its always interesting to see how different projects handle the loss of a major character, whether it be to death or just issues with the actor, and I think Glee did a fantastic job with the loss of Finn, especially considering that everyone on set was obviously grieving the loss of Cory in real life.
I have to agree. I DVR'd and waited about 2 months or more before watching it just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to cry. I'm not a Cory fan but I am someone who gets emotional and cries at sad stuff like that. I figured distance would help. Wrong. They did a beautiful job and it was just impossible not to get wrapped up in it. The bit with the jacket was pretty darn good and I thought Lea did well to make it through her couple of scenes.

I've been avoiding the Cory Monteith episode because I don't want to sob all over the place. I think his death was the first celebrity death I really was affected by. It's probably because he's so young and plays a character so young, but he also wasn't very famous and that's humanizing in a way.

I have seen some episodes of Glee and liked what I saw. Love the music, but then I am a music addict so that could be part of it LOL. i wish I had the time to watch more though- it looks like a really good show.

There are a surprisingly good number of covers that come from Glee. My favorite was probably Naya Rivera's cover of Smooth Criminal that was done with the two dudes from Youtube playing their cellos. I love it when Youtube stars get "famous" (with the exception of Justin Bieber).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DirecTV 0