Any hdtv indoor antennas rated for long distance?

Looking for a hd antenna that can pick up signals from 30 miles. I did the map thing on tvfool.com and I am fortunately line of sight. I don't want to go through the hassle of installing a new antenna outside. Want something that I can put inside. Even if I have to mount in the attic.

Antenna's Direct offers a bunch of different antennas that are suitable for your attic that are also long range. Check out some of them here and let us know if you have any other questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one? You have two available based on the TVf report. They have very different antenna requirements and originate from different directions.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: SpamAssasin,

I note your TV FOOL report was taken at 5 feet above ground level, but you said you would be willing to install an attic mounted antenna. How high above your average ground level would that be? I'd rerun the test at the attic height for comparison.

In my opinion, you are in a prime situation to receive channels you never dreamed you could receive -- using the right antenna -- probably on a rotor. I wish I had it so good here!

Jim

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Probably got a ton of strong FM too......Id shy away from an amplifier/amplified antenna.

For the record, you dont need a long distance antenna.

I would go down to the local Radio Shack and start with the 15-1874 Budget Rabbit Ear & Loop. See if that gives you satisfactory performance....its should give you everything in Green. If not you can always return it with Radio Shacks easy return policy....plus you will now have a base of knowledge to work from in planning your next move.

Best

EV

Piggie

Super Moderator
You don't need much antenna. Winegard makes a new antenna for those that need a little bit of gain indoors for both VHF and UHF.

Winegard FreeVision FV-HD30 Compact Ultra Powerful DTV Antenna (FVHD30) - Winegard - FV-HD30 - - freevision antenna fv-hd30 fvhd30 fvhd-30 fv-hd-30 0-30 mile range 1080 HD compact ultra powerful dtv antenna

And they have the best current price.

Here are better pictures without having to click on them to see them full size.

Winegard FreeVision | Winegard FV-HD30 | Indoor or Outdoor HD Antenna

Note the use of loops on VHF to cut down on vertical electrical noise.

Seems going back to loops is getting popular.

SWHouston

Staff member
Piggie,

I hate to tell ya this, but that little Freevision won't do VHF-lo, and he's got his strong ABC Channel on Real 6.

SA ought to give up on trying to get that WNJS and settle for the WHYY, and wouldn't have to try to range out so far. That would probably let him keep the Antenna on top of his TV, like the one that EV suggested.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

PS: BTW, that Freevision Antenna is UGLY ! :D

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Piggie,

I hate to tell ya this, but that little Freevision won't do VHF-lo, and he's got his strong ABC Channel on Real 6.

PS: BTW, that Freevision Antenna is UGLY ! :D
Guess I should read TVFool Reports. I didn't notice the real channel 6.

Part I can't figure out is why you hate to tell me? Think I can't screw up!

A lot of the problem I have now is I was laid off. Had to lay myself off, long story. Now I squeeze my online time into 2.5 days I used to have 7. So I do tend to skim more and investigate less. I have actually been skipping most of the I need an antenna threads because of this. I jump in one and mess up.

So I am screwed now. Because of the old saying that "One oh crap, takes 10 atta boys for people to forget." lol....

Well I think the CS line of antenna is ugly. I myself love the look of a yagi hanging high in the sky. But then a whole lot of people think a yagi is ugly. So what difference does that make? Yet we are all entitled to an opinion.

SWHouston

Staff member
Piggie,

Just a few months ago, I found myself browsing some sites and ran across this one. I counted more than fifteen people, Jay, you, EV, HTN and on and on, who have literally offered THOUSANDS of posts!
What a stellar approach of commitment to this Website, SO many hours of your time and wisdom, in a single simple goal, of helping those in need.

One shadow of mis-observation, hardly amounts to anything, and if I was seeking Good Company, I have found it.
However, in saying "I hate to tell ya", I may have not been all that truthful.

Actually, a man of my years, revels in any moment of clarity. :D

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.