Anybody know if Sears is still carying the DTVPal DVR?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I have a feeling the DTVPal DVR is being phased out. I saw it mentioned at another forum that it was a possibility but can't remember where. Will post if I find it.

SWHouston

Staff member
HTN,

Thanks for those links, it's so helpful for someone to see the item of discussion when one does that.

I've been looking at one of these units, but dangit, I can't seem to tell what kind of tuners it has, besides it saying ATSC, ie: OTA Digital.

I've looked at...
Specs from Echostar
and then from...
Specs via SSig

They say it has TWO tuners. Ok, one's ATSC, but what's the other one ?

I still use an Analog/NTSC HHD on my Comcast Channels, and that unit is doing well still. But, I would like to know that the DTV DVR would switch over to Analog if my existing unit failed.

Do you/anyone know anything more about the tuners ?

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I've been looking at one of these units, but dangit, I can't seem to tell what kind of tuners it has, besides it saying ATSC, ie: OTA Digital.
That's what it has, just ATSC (over-the-air digital).

They say it has TWO tuners. Ok, one's ATSC, but what's the other one ?
They're both the same. Two tuners, so you can record two programs simultaneously.

The DTVPal DVR is not for cable.

SWHouston

Staff member
bicker,

Thanks, appreciate the info.
I took another look at the Specs, seeing only one "F" Input, and suspected it split inside, but, wasn't all that sure until you said it.

Oh well, I hope my HHD last. I understand that Comcast is going to change their Analog (lower Channels 2-99) to digital at some point, and I'll be able to move it over then. Did I hear about 2-3 years on that?

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
A few notes.

First, a bit off-topic. The TiVo S3 has six tuners, actually, two each for ATSC, NTSC and QAM. Only two can be active at the same time, though.

Second, regarding Comcast and analog: Generally speaking, if you're still getting any cable networks via analog service, the days for that service are numbered. Analog service for cable networks has ended here already, and my best guess is by the end of next year, it will be a very rare situation -- anywhere in the country, for any service provider, cable or satellite -- for cable networks to be provided via analog service.

With regard to local over-the-air broadcast channels: Analog service for those channels has already ended for just about all of the non-legacy service providers (i.e., Dish Network, DirecTV, FiOS, RCN, U-Verse, etc.) The legacy service providers (i.e., Comcast, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, Time Warner Cable, etc.) have mostly all agreed to continue providing that service until at least 2012, but once 2012 arrives, I would expect to see those service providers phasing analog service out entirely. They're going to need the 150-200 MHz of bandwidth (that limited basic analog service eats up) for advanced services, just to keep up with the non-legacy service providers who have already stopped providing (or never provided) that service.

When, these various changes will happen in your area, I don't know. You can ask on AVS Forum, in the Houston-specific thread. Some folks there might have some idea.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0