Anyone ever connect a converter box to a handheld TV without an input?

Siv

DTVUSA Rookie
There's a rumor floating around that I can somehow connect a converter box to my handheld TV's antenna. It doesn't have any type of input other than the antenna itself which is permanently attached. Is this true? If not, what can I do? I'd hate to throw the thing away.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Hi, and welcome to the forums here!

Anything is possible, but the chance of success is very slim thanks to a whole host of technical and safety issues. It very likely wouldn't be worth the effort. You really do need a coaxial input to connect a converter box, and very few if any portable analog TVs had them. After all, it couldn't really be called "portable" while attached to an external, fixed antenna, right?

Sorry to say, but it's basically a doorstop these days.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Didnt someone come out of the RF output of a Converter Box with a bit of wire and then wrap the other end (stripped bare) around the atnenna of the portable device?

Siv

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi, and welcome to the forums here!

Anything is possible, but the chance of success is very slim thanks to a whole host of technical and safety issues. It very likely wouldn't be worth the effort. You really do need a coaxial input to connect a converter box, and very few if any portable analog TVs had them. After all, it couldn't really be called "portable" while attached to an external, fixed antenna, right?

Sorry to say, but it's basically a doorstop these days.
Didnt someone come out of the RF output of a Converter Box with a bit of wire and then wrap the other end (stripped bare) around the atnenna of the portable device?
Both of your answers are exactly why I'm here. :) I've heard that handhelds are useless now, and I've also heard that it might be possible to connect a stripped wire to antenna ears of a handheld.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
I have seen that work, with mixed results. Put the TV on channel 3 or 4, depending on the output of the converter box. The handheld TV may still work, but you couldn't take it anywhere easily, chained to the converter box. You can buy a converter box and return it if it doesn't work well enough for you.

Old TVs are like old computers and a lot of other electronics. When obsolete they're not worth much.