Anyone own a computer with a TV Card?

2fast

DTVUSA Rookie
I've already upgraded my TV's at home. Simple enough. I've got a PC with a analog TV card-tuner that I watch TV on sometimes. How do I upgrade it for DTV?

I've already upgraded my TV's at home. Simple enough. I've got a PC with a analog TV card-tuner that I watch TV on sometimes. How do I upgrade it for DTV?
You can simply add a converter box between the tuner and the antenna or upgrade the tuner card in your pc which would run around 100.00 I have a Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-1250 in my Dell studio and it works great get all digital from the antenna and get HD as well so it would be worth the upgrade to get the HD if you have a HD monitor.:) oh and you can record to the pc and then burn to dvd unlike most dvrs.

Thomas G

Contributor
Get a new card! There are a bunch of them available now, and if you watch enough TV from your PC, it's worth it.

If you get a converter box, you won't get any stations in High Definition, so the picture quality will be so-so compared to an HD tuner card.

Correct, because the converter boxes alot of people are using downscale the HD picture to SD (standard 480i) quality.

1080i HD newscasts looks stunning on my 22" LCD.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Correct, because the converter boxes alot of people are using downscale the HD picture to SD (standard 480i) quality.

1080i HD newscasts looks stunning on my 22" LCD.
Static, is that your youtube video? I saw it on the local news the other night where they were recommending youtube for converter box install videos.

AmyJo

DTVUSA Rookie
We are looking into buying a new computer with our tax money. If it is brand new, will it automatically have the digital tuner installed or do I have to spend more to upgrade?

We are looking into buying a new computer with our tax money. If it is brand new, will it automatically have the digital tuner installed or do I have to spend more to upgrade?
if you buy from dell most of their studio desktops come with tuners but not all you can add the tuner to those that do not have them, dell has some really good deals right now on their stuff. I have been really pleased with my studio desktop.:)