Anyone still play the old school systems?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
A friend of mine still plays and loves Super Nintendo and N64. It's been years since I have even seen one of those systems. Anyone else ever bust out the old system and play?

Old School Systems

I love my old school game system. At one time I had the first Nintendo; and love playing Super Mario Bros. The Sega Genesis is also a favorite of mine.:)

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
Absolutely. We also love the Super Mario Bros. games. We have a Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Playstation. As you may can tell, we don't really go out and buy all the new systems that come around. Although, we would really love to get a Wii and a Wii Fit for Christmas.

jack

DTVUSA Member
ya me too.i will play all nintendo games.mainly f1 racing,turtle fighters,spider man,etc...i am so craze on these games.even in some video games,i have seen these games.

I remember my NES, the best Nintendo. i remember the game packaged with it was Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. on Duck Hunt i always wanted to shoot the living hell out of that laughing dog!

Anyone remember the Magnavox Odyssey? that was basically a 'game' system that all it was was 'Pong' but the 'games' were just pieces of clear paper you literally taped on the TV and it looked like a hockey board, basketball board, etc. cheesy but it was the 1970s anyways.

I'm in the market for some of those older systems, when I was a kid I used to play sega all day long, I've been hitting alot of thrift stores around here, but have been coming up empty handed.

I see some on craigslist, but alot of people are asking way to much money for some periphals.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Coleco and Atari 2600 for me. Does that date me a bit? ;) Loved the Coleco joystick with the number pad on it, but I only recall using the actual numbers on it for maybe 1 game??

I can just about get any old school game online in the form of an Emulator so i don't see the point in putting a dusty old console up in my place.

I can get Duck Hunt or Super Mario among many (MarioKart) and use it on my netbook. and without the 'grey/black' screen problem the old NES was infamous for.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I can just about get any old school game online in the form of an Emulator so i don't see the point in putting a dusty old console up in my place.

I can get Duck Hunt or Super Mario among many (MarioKart) and use it on my netbook. and without the 'grey/black' screen problem the old NES was infamous for.
I tried the emulator route about a year or two ago, but with arcade games and could never get the darn thing to work. One of my favorite games of all time Tron would never play on it, tried everything to get it to work...

I wish I had never let my wife toss out our old Sega Genesis. It was a great system with some fun games. Some of those classics are just fun to play over and over.

Emulators require the ROMs of the console, and you can find them online, it's a PITA but it's doable. the MAME emulator emulates coin-ops well and the ROMs for them are plentyful. it even gives the info on the CPU used in them.

Interesting info:

Pac-Man (Bally/Midway) operated from a Moto Z-80 CPU running at 1MHz. not much to todays standards!

It got better when i used a Macintosh Emulator to mimic the Macintosh. i got OS 8 installed on an Emulator running it as a PowerMac. it has IE 4 and many other programs and a smattering of MP3 files i use with a player. it's slow to use IE because that browser used different technology and took longer to load a page but it's fun to make it work.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Emulators require the ROMs of the console, and you can find them online, it's a PITA but it's doable. the MAME emulator emulates coin-ops well and the ROMs for them are plentyful. it even gives the info on the CPU used in them.

Interesting info:

Pac-Man (Bally/Midway) operated from a Moto Z-80 CPU running at 1MHz. not much to todays standards!

It got better when i used a Macintosh Emulator to mimic the Macintosh. i got OS 8 installed on an Emulator running it as a PowerMac. it has IE 4 and many other programs and a smattering of MP3 files i use with a player. it's slow to use IE because that browser used different technology and took longer to load a page but it's fun to make it work.
hah was very much a pita,must have downloaded 2-3 different versions of it before I gave up.

Found a Tron vid on YT, ahh this brings back memories! Tron and Star Wars ruled the arcades here in AZ in the mid 80's!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsoEg-gMQ-0[/YOUTUBE]​

My N64 is buried somewhere in my attic at home...I should try to dig that out to see if it still works. I use to love playing Mario Cart. That was the most fun game to me.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
My N64 is buried somewhere in my attic at home...I should try to dig that out to see if it still works. I use to love playing Mario Cart. That was the most fun game to me.
Loved Mario Kart and James Bond: Golden Eye on N64! Some of those older games rival today's for sure (just proves that graphics aren't everything).

Exactly what I do as well. Emulators are just everywhere so PACMAN, will never leave me alone!