Anyone watch Al Jazeera TV?

James

DTVUSA Member
Have you ever watched it..or stumbled up Al Jazeera?

I was watching a channel and noticed that it felt more like a "world TV" show. It definitely had a different feel. I'd say it more intellegent than most network news. I don't know about slant.

Anyone else?

Al Jazeera America is the most ambitious American television news venture since Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes started the Fox News Channel in 1996. It faces some of the same obstacles that Fox eventually glided over — including blanket skepticism about whether distributors, advertisers and viewers will give it a chance. But that is where the parallels to other channels end, because Al Jazeera America is going against the grain of seemingly every trend in television news.

“Viewers will see a news channel unlike the others, as our programming proves Al Jazeera America will air fact-based, unbiased and in-depth news,” said Ehab Al Shihabi, the channel’s acting chief executive, on a news conference call last week. He was explicit about what will be different, saying, “There will be less opinion, less yelling and fewer celebrity sightings.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/b...ber-look-at-the-news.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Its been a little over a year since I watched the channel, but for the most part my impression was that they were a little less politically influenced than our news channels. They do have agenda(s) as most news organizations that really take some watching to get a feel for. If you get excited regarding anti-Israeli sentiment in reporting, etc, then you will not watch the channel for long. More of the "quiet" stuff that ultimately bugged me a bit, but I still found al Jazeera to be a nice break from Fox, MS NBC, and CNN.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I find the channel to be less biased than the mainstream US media...

Al Jazeera used to be available for free on the internet and on satellite Galaxy 19, as "Al Jazeera English", but after making a deal with the devil (aka pay TV providers) for carriage of Al Jazeera America, the satellite signal was scrambled and the internet feed to USA was geo blocked.

I sure do miss it...

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I've been to their website (I don't watch the news) and found their reporting to be much more objective than ours. Just the facts, not a bunch of commentary, and they actually tell you what happened. Too often I find our "reporting" consists of a collection of what other people thought about the event while giving you very little information with which to make up your own mind. I hate that.

Don't tell me what to think. Tell me what happened and I'll draw my own conclusions.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Don't tell me what to think. Tell me what happened and I'll draw my own conclusions.
That's my motto with news. Seriously, I'm somewhat of a conservative guy but I can't stand to watch Fox most of the time, mostly because they interject their opinion or some sarcasm to the news.