Question: Anyone watching FX's The Americans?

A few weeks ago my wife and I stumbled on The Americans on Amazon Prime Instant Video, a series set in Washington in the early 1980s about a married couple of Soviet spies with kids posing as a suburban American family. I've heard so little about the show and haven't witnessed any huge excitement for it (which seems to hold for nearly all of FX's stunning shows!). Yet we've seen the first series and the first-half of the second, and it hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Have you seen The Americans? What do you think of it? Why don't people go crazy over FX shows?

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I haven't seen The Americans yet, but I'll try to check it out. FX definitely has a track record of some pretty interesting original programming. Louie is one of the best things on TV, in my opinion. Archer, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Wilfred, Rescue Me... I've definitely stumbled across some stuff on FX that has piqued my interest over the years.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I watched season 1 of The Americans. Haven't started 2 yet. I do like it, although I like some parts/characters better than others. Archer and Wilfred are also good. I'm not sure there's a simple answer why one show is more popular than another. Maybe some of those shows are more "cult" shows that some people just don't understand, or maybe people are discovering them on Netflix (not watching when they air), or maybe the channel doesn't spend enough advertising them?

FX seems to go under the radar a lot, which is odd as there are plenty of shows/networks that get by with critical praise alone. Maybe Fargo will raise their profile a little. I'm just surprised as it's not just one superb drama series, but 5 or 6 one after the another. That's a HBO hit rate!