Question: Anything different about Canadian digital broadcasts?

I live in the Detroit area where we have always treated Ch9 from Windsor, Ontario across the river as one of our local channels. Up to now, I've just tuned to the old analog signal when I wanted to catch Hockey Night in Canada, etc. I guess I haven't tuned in for a while, since the other day I went to watch it and it was off the air; apparently Canada has gone all digital effective recently.

Anyway, my first impulse was to just punch in 9-1 on my TV and there it was! I had always assumed that I wouldn't be able to pick it up when it went digital since the analog reception was always fairly snowy, but it actually came in better than some of our actual "local" channels.

Anyway, here's the interesting thing. I have three DTV receivers in the house: a Panasonic Viera 37" that's probably 5+ years old; a DISH Network DVR with an antenna input; and a 2-yr-old cheap Insignia-brand 23" TV from Best Buy. Of these, both the Insignia and DISH receivers can scan for, find, and tune in to the Ch9 digital signal. But the Panasonic doesn't seem to see it at all.

I know it isn't a matter of signal strength since the Panasonic does find a few much more marginal signals. So it seems to me that there is something different about the Canadian digital signal that was not known about or accounted for when the Panasonic was produced. Am I on the right track?

It's really not a big issue since it's the Panasonic that's connected to the DISH receiver, so I can always watch it that way. But I'd like to at least know what's going on.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
As far as I know, there is no difference, the standard is the same for Canada as the USA.

I suspect that the problem is that one TV has a different, older tuner. The Panasonic, being 5 years old, has an older tuner in it that isn't as good as the newer TVs. There may also be another station at close to the same power level at your location and on the same channel, and the old Panasonic tuner is unable to decode it.
If you could go to TV Fool and enter your information, and post the results back here (copy the link in bold on the results page and paste it here) we can figure out what's going on.

Unfortunately, TV Fool is apparently not up to date, as all they show is that channel's analog transmitter info. But here is the link anyway. It's CBET, channel 9 (should be 9.1).

And thanks for the response! Like I said, no big deal since I can get the channel thru my DVR, but I'm curious what's up.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
CBET is still broadcasting on 9 RF, though it's channel 9.1 digital now. Yea, TV fool doesn't seem to be updating the Canadian channels as it should. From Wikipedia:
At 11:58 PM on August 31, 2011, CBET turned off its signal for the final time after 57 years on analog channel 9. Three minutes later at 12:01 AM on September 1, the station turned on the ATSC signal on digital channel 9.
I'm still thinking it's the fact that the Panasonic is an older generation tuner. There have been several generations of tuners since that one was built. If you ever get a chance to hook up one of the new TV sets where the Panasonic is connected now, the newer TV sets would probably pick up 9.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: rochrunner,

Both American and Canadian channels use a common 8VSB standard for their digital transmissions and I agree with Mr Pogi, your older tuner has an older chipset which may be the reason it cannot receive the channel whereas other, newer TV sets in your household can.

From your original post saying "you know its not caused by lack of signal strength" might be an incorrect assumption for two reasons: the old chipset and perhaps the length and condition of the coaxial cable that you are using.

Is this particular TV set a greater distance away from the antenna (or from a splitter)? RG-6 coax has about one half of the signal loss over a distance compared to RG-59. Replacing old coax might be the answer.

What are you using for an antenna? An antenna more optimised for high-band VHF might be what it takes for your third set to receive RF-9. I hope this helps.

Jim

Last edited:

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Anyway, here's the interesting thing. I have three DTV receivers in the house: a Panasonic Viera 37" that's probably 5+ years old; a DISH Network DVR with an antenna input; and a 2-yr-old cheap Insignia-brand 23" TV from Best Buy. Of these, both the Insignia and DISH receivers can scan for, find, and tune in to the Ch9 digital signal. But the Panasonic doesn't seem to see it at all.
Have you re-scanned for channels on your Panasonic, or just tried to direct tune Ch.9-1. I have 19 inch Sylvania, that I can direct tune to a channel, just put in the number and it is there. However I have an LG set that is not that easy, I can direct tune to CH 9-1 and it will tune to DTV 9-1, but the way my LG is set up, it appears to have 3 different tuners, one for cable, analog and DTV, when I get into the menu I can switch between the different tuners. CBET is putting a strong signal in your direction, here is the coverage map I found on rabbitears.info
RabbitEars.Info
As mention it could be the tuner on your Panasonic, the newer tuners seem to handle multi-path (analog you would see ghost in the picture) signals better, although they are still an issue. You get multi-path from the signal bouncing off hills or buildings. If you are using rabbit ears for an antenna, it could be just as simple as direct tuning and playing with the antenna.