Apple TV Reviews?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing as how I own an iMac, iPhone, and will own an iPad 2 on Friday... I'm now thinking about getting an Apple TV as well.

I know there are alternatives such as Roku or Boxee that offer a better viewing resolution (1080p vs 720p) but I like the idea that I can effortlessly share media and iTunes purchases between Apple devices and and my TV that's connected to Apple TV.

Questions:

Does anyone here have an Apple TV box?

I noticed that the current generation Apple TV uses an A4 chip, is Apple planning on updating this device anytime soon to an A5?

From Apple's website: "Apple TV smartly organizes the huge Netflix catalog of titles so you can find what you want with just a few clicks." Does Apple TV offer a better category listing than a device like the Nintendo Wii?

It looks like you can stream media purchased from iTunes from a mobile device, but do purchases transfer too or do you need to be a subscriber to me.com for that to work?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The answer to this is: Unless you work for Apple, nobody knows. But since the iPad 2 is getting a dual core processor, why not.
I guess I'm wondering when the next generation upgrade is...I'd rather hold off if it's only a couple of months away.

Edit: Looks like some are predicting December, 2011 for generation 3 Apple TV.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I wouldnt be concerned about not having 1080p streaming ability.

One thing the AppleTV Gen2 has that other devices dont is a huge 8GB cache, which can be very useful.

Furthermore the AppleTV has high video quality, when compared to some other devices. I dont know if that is due to some video processing or what, but its better than average. (Some of the BluRay Players have excellent video processors, like the Silicon Optix Reon chip, and you can tell that they are improving the video images on the screen).

I dont know about any plans for a next generation release.

From what I know, the Netflix search feature on the AppleTV is not as good or at best equal to the Roku Box, and the Roku Box is supposed to be one of the better in that regards, and the Roku Box leaves a lot to be desired. I really dont use the search function, preferring to use InstantWatcher to set up the queue.

Search Youtube videos for actual shots of the GUI in action.

One feature that is very attractive is the ability to watch videos using multiple devices and to continue from where you left off say from your AppleTV the next day on your iPad....and any combination of iPhone, iPad, AppleTV.

I dont know if you need a me.com account, as Im not an Apple products user, however, from my understanding you can access any iTunes purchases from the AppleTV in some manner.

Good Luck!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldnt be concerned about not having 1080p streaming ability.

One thing the AppleTV Gen2 has that other devices dont is a huge 8GB cache, which can be very useful.

Furthermore the AppleTV has high video quality, when compared to some other devices. I dont know if that is due to some video processing or what, but its better than average. (Some of the BluRay Players have excellent video processors, like the Silicon Optix Reon chip, and you can tell that they are improving the video images on the screen).

I dont know about any plans for a next generation release.

From what I know, the Netflix search feature on the AppleTV is not as good or at best equal to the Roku Box, and the Roku Box is supposed to be one of the better in that regards, and the Roku Box leaves a lot to be desired. I really dont use the search function, preferring to use InstantWatcher to set up the queue.

Search Youtube videos for actual shots of the GUI in action.

One feature that is very attractive is the ability to watch videos using multiple devices and to continue from where you left off say from your AppleTV the next day on your iPad....and any combination of iPhone, iPad, AppleTV.

I dont know if you need a me.com account, as Im not an Apple products user, however, from my understanding you can access any iTunes purchases from the AppleTV in some manner.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the help EV.

One thing that bothers me about Apple TV is its lack of hard drive which I just discovered a few minutes ago. Why is it, that I can buy a movie on my iMac through iTunes and not want to do the same on the Apple TV? I guess if I can buy it on my iMac and stream it the TV, it'll work for me, but I'd rather have the ability to house all of my video content on the Apple TV.