Are broadcast towers going to increase signal strength?

U

Unregistered

Digital TV is driving me crazy! I have 2 TVs on converter boxes (analog passthrough). Before June 12, the signals came in great. After June 12, I suddenly had trouble getting channel 2 to come in on either set, although other channels came in clean and clear. I figured it had something to do with signal direction so I searched and found a helpful website that provided a graph. In one column for channel 2, it gave the number “33.” So, I decided to try entering 33 as the channel number, and in came Channel 2! Great! Now I had all the channels!

However, over the next few weeks, I noticed that channels 7 through 13 were cutting out and giving me “No signal” messages because the signals were weak. They were fine before! Now it seems signal strength is being limited by the FCC, so many people are being completely cut off from access to free TV signals, while others struggle to get at least some shows on stations they used to get fine in analog! What kind of progress is this?

I live near a busy airport, digital signals are now constantly affected (analog disruption had been minimal, if any)! Since I find that digital signals don’t bend like analog did, signals are constantly being “stalled” and disrupted for a variety of reasons. And not only video, audio cuts out too, so you can’t even follow a show by sound! In other words, for many people it is now impossible to simply turn on a TV and enjoy your favorite show anymore!

Which brings me to: Is signal strength going to be increased, or do I need to stand and hold my antenna (sometimes that works) or attach a potato battery to it? Are signal boosters/spreaders going to be placed on cell phone towers to provide better TV signal coverage in our homes, or do we all have to shell out to buy mini-TVs and wander the streets looking for hotspots? Are we all going to go back to reading newspapers and hardcopy books and listen to news, weather, and talk shows on radio, or be forced to pay cable prices to enjoy TV signals that, at one time, used to be free, and a right!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

A few stations across the Country are in the process of raising or lowering their output power, but your problem is far more likely to be caused by damaged or confused data-streams that your converter boxes cannot decipher.

Simply put, Digital TV signals are unlike Analog signals in one major way: a very low strength CLEAN data-stream always beats a high strength damaged data-stream.

You may be able to improve your reception by using a different antenna and it would perform best, outdoors.

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
However, over the next few weeks, I noticed that channels 7 through 13 were cutting out and giving me “No signal” messages because the signals were weak.
Could it be that channels 7-13 are VHF, and your antenna is designed for UHF?

or do I need to stand and hold my antenna
So, what you have there is an indoor antenna - and you need either a better indoor antenna (perhaps in a better location), or to get an outdoor antenna.

Can you tell us what kind of antenna you are using?

Last edited:

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Are Broadcast Towers Going To Increase Signal Strength?

As has already been mentioned, digital is a "different ballgame" compared to analog. In addition to the antenna, which was already mentioned, think antenna system. The reason I say that is every component is important and the coaxial cable is very important. If you have RG-59, replace it with RG-6, or better, cable.

Digital TV is driving me crazy!
Ahhhhhh, I think you've uncovered the real reason behind the digital transition: A confused public is a compliant public!

I have 2 TVs on converter boxes (analog passthrough). Before June 12, the signals came in great. After June 12, I suddenly had trouble getting channel 2 to come in on either set, although other channels came in clean and clear. I figured it had something to do with signal direction so I searched and found a helpful website that provided a graph. In one column for channel 2, it gave the number “33.” So, I decided to try entering 33 as the channel number, and in came Channel 2! Great! Now I had all the channels!
Congratulations on some great detective work. :thumb:

However, over the next few weeks, I noticed that channels 7 through 13 were cutting out and giving me “No signal” messages because the signals were weak. They were fine before! Now it seems signal strength is being limited by the FCC, so many people are being completely cut off from access to free TV signals, while others struggle to get at least some shows on stations they used to get fine in analog! What kind of progress is this?
Signal strength has been limited by the FCC since the beginning of signals. Idea is to keep different stations from interfering with each other. But this is all ancient history. Almost every station has been digital now since 2009! At the time, a lot of people were grousing with good reason -- it was a glitchy makeover, and a boon to CATV.

But in hindsight, it really was "progress" for 95% of us. Maybe you fall in the unlucky 5%. BUT things work sooooooo much better now. Today the problem is getting everybody OFF CATV and back on the air, where god intended things to be.

Hard to see how fixing Channel 2 could throw water on 7-13. Maybe you need to go back and change those channels to UHF frequencies. Or maybe the problem was there before, and you never noticed it. Or maybe they scheduled some new flights to Denver just to screw you over. :daffy:

I live near a busy airport, digital signals are now constantly affected (analog disruption had been minimal, if any)! Since I find that digital signals don’t bend like analog did, signals are constantly being “stalled” and disrupted for a variety of reasons. And not only video, audio cuts out too, so you can’t even follow a show by sound! In other words, for many people it is now impossible to simply turn on a TV and enjoy your favorite show anymore!
But most people enjoy dozens of new channels with far better picture quality that never cuts out. Well almost never -- less often than analog, back in the day.

Which brings me to: Is signal strength going to be increased, or do I need to stand and hold my antenna (sometimes that works) or attach a potato battery to it? Are signal boosters/spreaders going to be placed on cell phone towers to provide better TV signal coverage in our homes, or do we all have to shell out to buy mini-TVs and wander the streets looking for hotspots?
You paint a bleak picture, but don't hold your breath on the signal strength. Could there be a third alternative? Yes, the transition coulda been especially tough for you, living near an airport. But there's this new thing called an "outdoor antenna" -- even some specially designed for the new frequency range. It's called "progress." :becky:

Are we all going to go back to reading newspapers and hardcopy books and listen to news, weather, and talk shows on radio, or be forced to pay cable prices to enjoy TV signals that, at one time, used to be free, and a right!
You actually have a point there. What used to be our right, and our property -- the air waves -- is now being auctioned off to the highest bidder so FCC employees can throw lavish pool parties (hypothetically speaking).

Rick

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
If you live near an airport you may need to choose a more appropriate antenna to place more of the flightpath in a null and reduce/remove airplane flutter.

An indoor antenna wont cut it unless you live in an area bathed in signal from a strong tower, and has no interference sources.

If your signal strengths have decreased its almost completely likely due to your a problem with your system/TV, or an external environmental factor. Stations cutting back power isnt common.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Given the clue of 2 moving to 33, I'm guessing our friend is in the New York DMA, referring to WCBS. In this case, 7/11/13 are on VHF. 9 is on UHF.

- Trip