Are prices going up on converters?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
my coupons expire in early July and I have one hd tv already. Not really sure if I should wait to buy or purchase now.

Megan in CA
Megan, welcome to the forum. The price of CECBs don't appear to be going up. Based on your post, you already have one (1) HDTV. You won't need a coupon eligible converter box (CECB) for the HDTV unless it is only HD ready or for some other reason doesn't include an ATSC tuner. CECBs are SD only and won't output a HD signal to your HDTV. I see no reason for waiting to purchase a CECB for another TV, if you are going to need one any time soon. The supply of the CECBs is getting low and you might not find one suitable for your needs if you wait too long.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Even more so, you may not be able to find a converter box if you wait too long. I'm not sure how long they are going to make these available. I see it as a short term solution and while some may be available for a while, I'm not convinced about the long run. I would think this is a 10-year at best program, if that. People will be buying new TVs with the digital tuner built in, making the boxes unnecessary. Certainly, I doubt you'll be able to find much variety.

Even more so, you may not be able to find a converter box if you wait too long. I'm not sure how long they are going to make these available. I see it as a short term solution and while some may be available for a while, I'm not convinced about the long run. I would think this is a 10-year at best program, if that. People will be buying new TVs with the digital tuner built in, making the boxes unnecessary. Certainly, I doubt you'll be able to find much variety.
yeah that may be the case, after a while they'll assume everyone either has a television with a built in tuner or they already have a box.

technology is advancing.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
As far as prices i would expect the reverse. when demand goes down the price will drop.
There are a lot of folks who have speculated that the coupons, as long as they were valid, were artificially inflating the cost of the converters.

Even more so, you may not be able to find a converter box if you wait too long.
Yes, so that will buffer the effect on prices of the expiration of the coupons (once they actually start cycling out of circulation).

I'm not sure how long they are going to make these available.
Especially since after tomorrow, there shouldn't be many televisions left that don't already have a converter, and they aren't making any more televisions that will need them.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I have an even better question, i wonder how long before we start seeing used converter boxes in thrift stores and flea markets?
I give that four years, Before then, they'd be footballed around on eBay until the market has boxes that handle both low-power analog and digital, and has many output possibilities - hopefully one that can put out 480p as a norm for the coax and RCA video output. I hate interlaced, I can never get a good freeze-frame like I used to do for PBS cartoons. They always come out blurry.

I say that shortly after digital TVs and HDTVs saturate the market that the need and also demand for the converter box will go the same route as the 'cable converter' for non-cable-ready sets. remember those? cable converter boxes allowed TVs incapable of utilizing any cable channel above '13' to tune in more? that was the previous transition.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Or how much longer it'll take after the coupon program has ended to see sub $20 converters on store shelves.
That is hard to say. Back in January and early February, stores were running out and restocks were getting hard to find.

The explanation I read on the web was the converter box makers had guessed at the number of coupons out there, their market share, and had geared down to stop making them.

Then by March there were back in the stores, probably catching a lot of companies in time before they totally geared down.

Now from what I see I think they over produced this time.

My gut prediction while it's a topic.

They will be cleared off the shelves and sent back to the warehouses to make room for Christmas stock. They might have a couple in a corner.

If you haven't noticed they don't stock in the big box stores but put stuff back on the trucks to go to the warehouses. Soon they will want to use that space for something. They will be sold off in lots of 100 or a dozen on that market.

Then they will be all over ebay and flea markets, new ones till about Christmas.

Then it will be a think of the past. Those that have them will be using them or have sold them or in a closet.

Then in about a year, for the next few years used ones will be on ebay and flea markets.

We could make it into a contest :mad:)

once all analog cable systems are gone, in a few years, when digital isn't news to anybody, they'll stop making them or people will just throw them on yard sale tables and flea market stands. Whats this? oh, one of those old converter boxes from years ago. A buck? cool!

Like they did with cable descramblers and VCR's.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I say that shortly after digital TVs and HDTVs saturate the market that the need and also demand for the converter box will go the same route as the 'cable converter' for non-cable-ready sets. remember those? cable converter boxes allowed TVs incapable of utilizing any cable channel above '13' to tune in more? that was the previous transition.
Ha! I can do you one better.

Way, way, way back in the day there were UHF boxes made for VHF only tv's. Like todays modern technology you'de tune your VHF tv to channel 3 to pick up UHF stations with the box.

Piggie

Super Moderator
once all analog cable systems are gone, in a few years, when digital isn't news to anybody, they'll stop making them or people will just throw them on yard sale tables and flea market stands. Whats this? oh, one of those old converter boxes from years ago. A buck? cool!

Like they did with cable descramblers and VCR's.
The coupon applications end in July. The last coupons will expire the end of Oct. I bet a lot of the manufactures are either on their last run now or soon to be making the last of them. I would guess too most if not all orders for boxes to be made are now over.

Think about it. At some point you go to buy a box, and well you have to buy a TV. Prices have dropped on the TVs already.

What I bought in Nov 2007 for $425 on a super super Thanksgiving day weekend sale can be had now any day of the week for $360. Not a fancy 32 inch but adequate LCD 720p set.

I don't see it as much as I used to but early converters were saving every dime or maxing their credit card because less than 52 inches in 1080p was not HD to them. They also paid upwards of $3 to 4 K dollars! Oh well, they got to watch it a couple years early. It's like buying a new car, why?

Tim that was what i meant. those old 'cable converters' which allowed those with older VHF dial sets (the two knobs, for some unforseen reason hooking the cable to the 'UHF' dial did nothing to help with the higher channels oddly) to get all the cable channels both on VHF And UHF.

I remember one on one of our old consoles that used the dials, but the cable converter needed still someone to go to the box and hit whatever channel it was to get it to tune, no remote there at all. it had a touch tone type pad so for say, Nickelodeon, it was '2-5-ENTER' and there ya go.