Are we getting stupid?

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Just read a book in German it is called "Generation dumm" (generation stupid).
The intention of this book is that the generation born between 1966 and 2009 is getting more and more stupid.

As example they have asked young folks:
Is the Queen of Great Britain although the Queen of England?

A lot of young folks said "No". They did not know that England is a part of Great Britain. (the correct answer should be "Yes")

And when I hear some young folks talking about their financial problems and that they believe they will not have to pay anything back to the banks, I am asking myself: "Are we getting stupid?

What do you think?

I think society's intelligence can best be said by how it views its commercials. but that only represents the 'majority' not the minority that is most of the smart people who are now labeled 'old' by the younger generations for feeling the way they do.

I'm 30 and i already have teens calling me 'old' because i don't see the point in texting all day or going on myspace. or calling 'twitter' stupid and pointless. my life goes far beyond the Internet, and if that makes me old, then so be it.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
Some people still think that the sun revolves around the Earth. If you want to know the epitome of human stupidity, you might want to look at Yahoo Answers. I swear, it makes me wonder how many of these people were able to set up the internet.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The dumbing down of Western Civilization is part of the rise of the Western Left since the 60s, the New Left radicals advancing social engineering and ideological indoctrination over critical thinking and actual knowledge.

Celebrating diversity and promoting moral and cultural relativism has trumped human development and advancement....and in fact promotes human developmental regression.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Have any of you ever seen "Idiocracy." Kind of a weird movie, but the plot basically is that 500 years from now, stupid people will have had more babies than smart people and the world becomes, well, stupid.

I doubt that's the direction we're starting to head. and besides, what is the determining factor of what classifies someone as stupid? I know plenty of intelligent people who struggle with communication and social skills, and at the same time, I know people that have less than a highschool education, yet have succeeded more so in the business world than any of us here could ever hope or imagine to do.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
That's a myth.

With regard to the overall issue, over time, different things become important to know. The fact that people generally know one specific kind of thing less now than in the past is uninteresting. There are many kinds of things that people know more now than in the past.

Within every generation, so far, there are some people who have chosen to view that generation as in some way inferior to the past. That (misguided) perception of inferiority is not just limited to matters of intelligence, but often the affliction extends to matters of morality, matters of creativity, and matters of healthfulness. (A lot of this stems from an innate human attraction toward feelings of nostalgia, perhaps driven by a feeling that the comfortable, known world of one's younger days is passing by too quickly -- the exact psychology of it is not as important as the effect.)

The reality is generally the opposite: Things generally have improved, generation-over-generation, as evidenced by the fact that these curmudgeons generally regard the generation just prior to the one they're criticizing as the pinnacle. What this indicates is that the period during and just after a span of time, (many) people simply are incapable of seeing things in a broad, big picture context. That's why a narrative of the history of a period of time is generally considered unattainable until a century (or so) after that period of time. At that point, the proprietary biases can more readily be overcome, to achieve an objective insight into the period of time.

That isn't to say that nothing, whatsoever, can ever decline. Rather, the point is simply that assertions of a decline, in the context of recent periods of time, supported only by qualitative and/or non-normalized foundation, can be safely dismissed and ignored as nothing more than baseless curmudgeony.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The proportion of Black seniors who were in the highest SES quartile doubled from 1972 to 1992 (from 5 percent to 10 percent), and increased overall from 5 percent in 1972 to 14 percent in 2004. The percentage of seniors enrolling in calculus during their senior year grew from 6 percent to 13 percent between 1982 and 2004. The percentage of seniors taking no mathematics courses during their senior year declined from 57 percent to 34 percent over this time period. Seniors increased their senior-year enrollment in advanced science courses (chemistry II, physics II, and advanced biology) from 12 percent in 1982 to 25 percent in 2004. In each class of seniors, most of those who planned further schooling intended to attend four-year postsecondary schools, with the proportion of students planning to attend four-year schools rising from 34 percent in 1972 to 61 percent in 2004. In all years, higher percentages of Asian high school seniors, and lower percentages of Hispanic seniors (except in 1992), compared to other racial/ethnic groups, planned attendance at four-year institutions No difference was observed between 1972 and 2004 between the percentage of seniors expecting a bachelor’s degree as their highest level of education. Instead, growth between these two time points was greatest in expectations for a graduate or professional degree: 13 percent of seniors expected to attain this level of education as their highest in 1972, compared to 38 percent of seniors in 2004. In 1972, males expected to earn a graduate degree as their highest educational level in greater proportions than did females (16 percent versus 9 percent); however, in 2004, females expected to earn a graduate degree more often than males (45 percent versus 32 percent). Seniors increasingly expected to work in professional occupations (growing from 45 percent of seniors in 1972 to 63 percent of seniors in 2004 expecting to work in a professional field).
[Source: "Trends Among High School Seniors, 1972-2004". US Department of Education. NCES 2008320]

Looks like mostly good news to me. I think your criticisms are without objective support.