Are window cleaners getting watered down?

James

DTVUSA Member
It seems to me that the spray-on window cleaners are more watery and streaky today. They used cut through grease, glue, bugs a lot better. Is it me?

It seems to me that the spray-on window cleaners are more watery and streaky today. They used cut through grease, glue, bugs a lot better. Is it me?
You have to spend a little bit more but get the window cleaner spray for cars. Lucas motor company makes a great cleaner and its only about $8 for the bottle. It cuts through just about anything and leaves no streaks. I use it on my TV and cmputer!

James

DTVUSA Member
I believe ammonia (ammonium hydroxide) can be cut with water and used as an excellent window cleaner. Cuts grease and glue. Cheap too.

Ammonia has a high pH while lemon juice (another DIY cleaner) is acidic.

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
I blogged about this a year or more ago and one of the best ways to save money AND get a quality window cleaner (streak, bug, dust, grease free) is to buy the summer windshield washer for your car and purchase a spray bottle from the dollar store, fill it up and label it and use it, works like a charm for pennies on the dollar and you know its going to be streak free because of windshields needing to be perfectly clear! Goodluck!

Edited to say that if its still winter like it is here you can actually use the winter windshield washer inside and out and it doesn't freeze up on your windows like the popular brands do. I always do my windows before the bugs are out so I dont get a house full and this has really helped!!

Last edited:

James

DTVUSA Member
Interesting Marisa. It triggered a memory. I may still have a book of formulations for household products. It was for manufacturing common products, like window cleaners. I do remember there were different grades of cleaners from basic to advanced, based on the concentration of actives. I bet the windshield cleaner is an easy alternative to making my own. I work in a lab but don't want to buy a 55 gallon drum of concentrated cleaner just so I can make my own spray. The blue color is simply dye. Windex, I think, started that color. IDK.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Lol, This thread definitely belongs here in Off-Topic. So random.
On that note, I agree. Either my window cleanings are taking more work than they used to or I'm getting lazier. It could definitely be the latter.
I've never used car-specific cleaners of any sort. Thanks for the suggestion, fan-boy-comics.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I use the summer windshield cleaner in the gallon bottle myself, that way I only have to buy one kind, buy it on sale and refill my car and my sprayer from the same bulk jug. I also keep the winter de-icer in a small spray bottle in the car to clean off a frosty windshield.

On the subject of watering down, I'm always on the lookout for being cheated - either by reducing the product size or watering down product. For food products, here's a trick: monitor the calorie content in a serving. It will drop when they water down or make the product "new and improved".

Over the last few years, my yogurt has gone from 8 to 6 oz and my pasta sauce from 26 to 24 oz, but the prices have remained the same or increased. It really affects my cooking and recipes! One of my favorite consumer blogs is here - Mouse Print* – Sneaky Fine Print They report this sort of resizing / reformulation / "shinkage" shenanigans.