Question: Are you still mad about Mad Men?

After a characteristically low-key and poker-faced ad campaign, AMC's Mad Men creeped back on to the air on Sunday night with a whimper of an episode to open its final season, which will be spread out over two years. The ratings were the lowest for a Mad Men opener since Season 2 and way down on last year's debut episode. It already looks like the plan to give Mad Men a final flourish worthy of Breaking Bad may be stalling.

Are you still excited about Mad Men? Are you looking forward to the final season?

James

DTVUSA Member
I watched my fist new episode last night. Actually I was tired and did not watch it all. My fatigue may have caused the lack of enthusiasm. It takes me some time to get reacquainted with the characters and their roles. At this time I think I got the relationships in order. I will finish the first installment today I think. This morning it hit me how much Don is all about himself. I know, I know...this is obvious from the first season:doh:. My point is it is the first time it hit me that I don't think I EVER saw him reach out and comfort anyone in the episodes. I understand it is part of the character. It seems like his wheels are always turning in relationship to himself..even with intimate relationships. I am interested to see how he resolves his past, if he can. I like the other characters as well. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and remember a little bit of the racism and working women stuff...but not a lot. Not like someone who was an adult at the time.

I watched my fist new episode last night. Actually I was tired and did not watch it all. My fatigue may have caused the lack of enthusiasm. It takes me some time to get reacquainted with the characters and their roles. At this time I think I got the relationships in order. I will finish the first installment today I think. This morning it hit me how much Don is all about himself. I know, I know...this is obvious from the first season:doh:. My point is it is the first time it hit me that I don't think I EVER saw him reach out and comfort anyone in the episodes. I understand it is part of the character. It seems like his wheels are always turning in relationship to himself..even with intimate relationships. I am interested to see how he resolves his past, if he can. I like the other characters as well. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and remember a little bit of the racism and working women stuff...but not a lot. Not like someone who was an adult at the time.
I completely forgot about where the characters' relationships were at as well. The previous season didn't stick with me at all, and this one isn't exactly memorable either. There are - literally - one or two moments where Don shows empathy, but it's baby steps and his self-absorption always dominates his personality. It makes me want to turn to other characters as I don't see what more there is to say or do with Don. Roger has always been the center of the show for me, although now even his antics seem a little tired.

James

DTVUSA Member
Yes-tiring. I started feeling that way with Breaking Bad. SPOILER if you have not watched. Loved the series but I saw how bad Walt had become. I could relate to his feeling of desperation and no where to turn yet trying to figure out something. Having been there in real life it was sapping me. I knew nothing good was going to happen. When Hank was killed it had some personal effect on me since I lost someone and still remember the feeling of complete loss...no way to fix it. It won't be OK. That was very real to me. In a bad way if you know what I mean. When you have been through some kind of real loss, the TV loss either seems completely fake and stupid..especially the way the characters respond...or very real as in the case of Hank. WOW..I am rambling away.

Back to Mad men. Yea...Don's antics seem old and tiresome...YET...I know he has some very real, dysfunctional skeletons in his past that are driving him to do what he is doing to comfort himself...at the expense of everyone around him. OH..and that is why I don't agree with the philosophy that goes something like...If he wants to get drunk/drugs/etc and he does not hurt anybody..that is his right. Problem is it ALWAYS hurts others. The ripple effect is huge. Just watch Mad men. It is very real.

Oh well...ranting.

Yes-tiring. I started feeling that way with Breaking Bad. SPOILER if you have not watched. Loved the series but I saw how bad Walt had become. I could relate to his feeling of desperation and no where to turn yet trying to figure out something. Having been there in real life it was sapping me. I knew nothing good was going to happen. When Hank was killed it had some personal effect on me since I lost someone and still remember the feeling of complete loss...no way to fix it. It won't be OK. That was very real to me. In a bad way if you know what I mean. When you have been through some kind of real loss, the TV loss either seems completely fake and stupid..especially the way the characters respond...or very real as in the case of Hank. WOW..I am rambling away.

Back to Mad men. Yea...Don's antics seem old and tiresome...YET...I know he has some very real, dysfunctional skeletons in his past that are driving him to do what he is doing to comfort himself...at the expense of everyone around him. OH..and that is why I don't agree with the philosophy that goes something like...If he wants to get drunk/drugs/etc and he does not hurt anybody..that is his right. Problem is it ALWAYS hurts others. The ripple effect is huge. Just watch Mad men. It is very real.

Oh well...ranting.
Not rambling away at all! Some really interesting observations here. I absolutely think you could interpret the final season of Breaking Bad as an irresponsibly vicarious thrill without recourse to genuine emotion and long-term anguish. As for Mad Men you would have to be despicably selfish to think that Don's behavior is every harmless, since he insists on surrounding himself with family, partners and devotees.