Article: Netflix Removes 'Add to DVD Queue' from Streaming Devices.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Netflix Removes "Add to DVD Queue" from Streaming Devices.

Netflix blog reports that Netfix has disabled "add to DVD queue" from streaming devices:
Link:
Removing "Add to DVD Queue" from Streaming Devices

Hi there, it’s Jamie Odell, director of product management at Netflix, with an update for members who add DVDs to their Queue from the device they use to watch instantly. We’re removing the “Add to DVD Queue” option from streaming devices. We’re doing this so we can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly. Further, providing the option to add a DVD to your Queue from a streaming device complicates the instant watching experience and ties up resources that are better used to improve the overall streaming functionality. This change does not impact the Netflix Web site, where most members manage their DVD Queues.
Blog comments indicate streaming device users are not at all pleased about this.

If you get Netflix on a streaming device, how do you feel about this change, and have you found any workaround for it?

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
So no more editing your DVD que from Netflix streaming? Why again?

"We’re doing this so we can concentrate on offering you the titles that are available to watch instantly."

haha, that's a laughable answer at best. I haven't had to login to netflix.com's website for a month now because I've been able to add to que from my iPad. My best guess is that they want more users to visit netflix.com....which doesn't make sense.

n2rj

Staff member
They want to discourage DVD mailing. Obviously streaming yields a higher margin as they don't have to pay for postage or physical discs.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
They want to discourage DVD mailing. Obviously streaming yields a higher margin as they don't have to pay for postage or physical discs.
Agreed.
That's one reason why I have a Media computer instead of a set-top-box. Lots of online services have played with access for set tops, but not computers (Example: PS3 used to get HULU free, now you can only get HULU plus.)

personally I'm ok with losing the physical media and going streaming only as long as the selection is current. As it stands if I want to see a movie my 2 choices are wait 3 days for Netflix to deliver it or pay $4 on Amazon On Demand. My wife and I are very compulsive movie-watchers, so we often don't want to wait to get it. So I have no issues about it.

personally I'm ok with losing the physical media and going streaming only as long as the selection is current. As it stands if I want to see a movie my 2 choices are wait 3 days for Netflix to deliver it or pay $4 on Amazon On Demand. My wife and I are very compulsive movie-watchers, so we often don't want to wait to get it. So I have no issues about it.
That's the problem we have with Netflix streaming. Not enough "current" selection. TV shows are always a year behind what you can get on Amazon. Apple iTunes has a pretty good selection too, but it's not cheap.