As the American Idol Judges Turn

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
It's just so funny how many rumors the judging panel creates. The latest has Jennifer Hudson in talks to judge the show next year. Even Kelly Clarkson has been rumored. The best part is ...

I don't care. :}

Orrymain

Yes, I did an article on this not too long ago here on the site. I grew up loving the elephant bit. It is absolutely priceless, probably the funniest thing ever on TV.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It would be awesome if one of the "retro" or "classic" TV networks could get rights to the Burnett series. Some of the best stuff ever on TV. Conway was the master - he would always go off script and make the cast lose it. "Stifled laughter" - the best - you know you're not supposed to laugh, and that makes it more hilarious.

I guess I'll have to settle for the episodes and clips I find on YouTube, and keep searching libraries and used videos for DVDs. I could spring for one of the "collections" on infomercials, or buy them on Amazon: Carol Burnett Show Too bad those are just selected shows, but the complete series? That's what I want to see. Not more "American Idle".

Useless trivia from that veritable compost heap of useless knowledge I sometimes refer to as "My Brain":
Tim Conway is the voice of "Barnacle Boy", sidekick of "Mermaid Man" (Voiced by Ernest Borgnine until 2012), recurring characters on the Nickelodeon cartoon "Spongebob Squarepants". Even this cartoon is better TV than the train wreck that is American Idol.

Now that we've managed to completely derail this thread, let us never speak of this "American Idle" thing again.

Orrymain

One of the things I hate most about variety shows being on TV is that they par them down to 30 minutes and delete so much of the fun. They did that with Carol's show and just a bunch of others. I can't stand it; I want to see the entire show when I watch.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
One of the things I hate most about variety shows being on TV is that they par them down to 30 minutes and delete so much of the fun. They did that with Carol's show and just a bunch of others. I can't stand it; I want to see the entire show when I watch.
I hate that too.
For example, SNL episodes are 90 minutes, and every episode on DVD is pared down to 60 minutes. They tend to pull out all the stuff they think today's younger generations will not understand - mainly political humor. Unfortunately, that's one of the best things on the shows.

Orrymain

Yeah, it's frustrating. There was only one channel that really aired the variety shows in tact. Gee, what was it called -- Good Life Network or something like that. We had it for a small period of time and along with dramas and such, they aired Tony Orlando and Dawn and The Lennon Sisters in tact. Loved that!