"Aspect Ratio Cannot Be Changed on this Channel"

As you may know, this is a standard error message when attempting zoom mode on Zenith/Insignia CECB and also the Apex DT-250 CECB. it only happens when the mode selected in the menu (4:3 standard CRT/16:9 Widescreen) matches the broadcast aspect ratio (for example, the broadcast is at 4:3 and so is the menu setting) and you attempt to make the picture fill the screen (it's windowboxed or letterboxed) and you get that error.

The question has been asked before and i didn't get any answer other than the speculation the Magnavox CECB zooms no matter what without the error; but i haven't found any facts stating it so before i buy what was known as one of the worst rated boxes here, i want to know if there are any boxes that will zoom no matter what.

The Dish DTVPal + does nothing when you hit Zoom on the same example (broadcast aspect ratio matches the setting) and it has automatic zoom controls (shows in the browse banner as 'Full' or 'Zoom') and no manual setting in menu to set it yourself.

I used to get around it on smaller TVs by lying to the box that it's a widescreen TV and that way zoom is available because the setting no longer matches the broadcast but on a 25" TV or larger, that only makes it vertically correct but the horizontal is still shrunk. ('Pillar-boxed')

So currently my problem is that my nice 25" Console is effectively a 19" TV on some channels. (KET WKOH-DT is one of them) and IMO that's unacceptable. is there a box out there on any market which zooms no matter what?

In my album on old technology there's a picture of my Curtis Mathes 25" TV with WTVW FOX 7 playing, and you can see that it's letterboxed on that particular show. that's one of two problems i want gone. keeps making me think the vertical deflection is dead but it's the broadcast.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
As you may know, this is a standard error message when attempting zoom mode on Zenith/Insignia CECB and also the Apex DT-250 CECB. it only happens when the mode selected in the menu (4:3 standard CRT/16:9 Widescreen) matches the broadcast aspect ratio (for example, the broadcast is at 4:3 and so is the menu setting) and you attempt to make the picture fill the screen (it's windowboxed or letterboxed) and you get that error.

The question has been asked before and i didn't get any answer other than the speculation the Magnavox CECB zooms no matter what without the error; but i haven't found any facts stating it so before i buy what was known as one of the worst rated boxes here, i want to know if there are any boxes that will zoom no matter what.

The Dish DTVPal + does nothing when you hit Zoom on the same example (broadcast aspect ratio matches the setting) and it has automatic zoom controls (shows in the browse banner as 'Full' or 'Zoom') and no manual setting in menu to set it yourself.

I used to get around it on smaller TVs by lying to the box that it's a widescreen TV and that way zoom is available because the setting no longer matches the broadcast but on a 25" TV or larger, that only makes it vertically correct but the horizontal is still shrunk. ('Pillar-boxed')

So currently my problem is that my nice 25" Console is effectively a 19" TV on some channels. (KET WKOH-DT is one of them) and IMO that's unacceptable. is there a box out there on any market which zooms no matter what?

In my album on old technology there's a picture of my Curtis Mathes 25" TV with WTVW FOX 7 playing, and you can see that it's letterboxed on that particular show. that's one of two problems i want gone. keeps making me think the vertical deflection is dead but it's the broadcast.
The only way I'm familiar with is to own a TV which includes the zoom feature. I don't believe the CECBs will allow you to zoom SD 4.3 aspect ratio.

I guess it's thrift store time again, looking for a console TV which has the zoom option, possibly a later model by the looks of it, being that it's a more recent feature. I'm a big fan of consoles plus my living room is decorated around the woodsy appearance of a console so a TV stand and a table-top TV is out of the question.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I guess it's thrift store time again, looking for a console TV which has the zoom option, possibly a later model by the looks of it, being that it's a more recent feature. I'm a big fan of consoles plus my living room is decorated around the woodsy appearance of a console so a TV stand and a table-top TV is out of the question.
I've seen very inexpensive projectors that work nicely in a limited space. I swa a few less than $200.00. You install a 50" retracting screen in a good location and set the projector on a bookshelf mounted up high and out of the way and you have instant HT room. :thumb:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
nice idea, but it wouldn't have the woodsy appearance of the console. plus where does my VCR/DVD go?
You could even use old refinished barn wood to build a simple retractable screen shield for the wood look. When the screen is retracted and not in use. You would see a fine piece of wood furniture. The DVD and other HT components go into a nice wood organizer located in an appropriate to your room decor. Just a thought. I'm not trying to change your mind or direction. I've been counseling people and installing the HT systems for close to 30 years. I've had to overcome any number of objections.

oh that way. i actually have a multiplex (but without TV but room for one) that i still have planned for installation of a TV if i had a jigsaw but i'd need a much smaller TV, about 19" max (which makes the error moot lol) and the doors are already on it. they concealed the speakers but they can just as well conceal the 'TV' since they close inward to reveal the speakers. (six per side)

right now i have a Curtis Mathes 25" console TV, not a full-entertainment center like the 3-in-1s i am still looking for. it's just a TV within a wooden box but nothing more. i got my DVD/VCR on top.

I could build a 3-in-1, but the quality of an LCD to overcome the error is to me not good enough. LCDs have terrible black levels and viewing angles are still distorting. i don't know why