At a loss

Shovelbuck

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Newbie here with a question or two.....
I just dropped my cable provider and went with an outdoor UHF/VHF antenna. I have 50 ft. of coax on it. When I hook direct to my TV, I get all the UHF and VHF channels that are available for my area. I wanted to feed the basement and upstairs, so I connected to the splitter in the existing cable box. When I do this, I lose all the UHF channels. Any ideas what is causing this? There is approx. another 50 ft. of coax going from the splitter to each TV. Is it line loss? Non compatibility? I do have an indoor UHF antenna that works great and I wonder if I could use a splitter in reverse to at least have UHF on the upstairs TV while still staying hooked up to the cable box splitter.
Thanks in advance.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Shovelbuck! You wrote:

... I wanted to feed the basement and upstairs, so I connected to the splitter in the existing cable box. When I do this, I lose all the UHF channels. ... Is it line loss? Non compatibility? ... Thanks in advance.
I suspect there is something wrong with your existing signal splitter because you indicated you are losing all of your UHF channels and did not mention VHF channel loss. A new 3-way splitter is cheap at Radio Shack and well worth a try.

Please explain to us exactly what you meant when you wrote "existing cable box". Is that a set-top CableVision unit or is it a 'vault' or 'locker' where the wires are congregated and sent around your home?

Jim

Shovelbuck

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It's the box on the exterior of the house that the cable goes into then feeds two lines from the splitter into the house. The splitter was working fine with the cable service. And correct, I don't lose any VHF when connected to it.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Is there anything else you can see inline with the existing cable - perhaps a filter - installed by your cableco?

Do you still get internet from your cable provider? You can't run OTA TV and cable internet on the same cable.

Shovelbuck

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Is there anything else you can see inline with the existing cable - perhaps a filter - installed by your cableco?

Do you still get internet from your cable provider? You can't run OTA TV and cable internet on the same cable.

No, there is nothing else on the lines. I have wireless internet, I never had it through the cable provider.

Shovelbuck

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The first 50 ft from the antenna to the splitter is RG6U, but i can find no markings on the existing cable company's coax. I do believe it's center wire is heavier.

Shovelbuck

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Odd thing......I hooked up the UHF antenna to the tv and scanned in the channels. Then unhooked it and hooked the VHF antenna up. Now I have both UHF and VHF channels through the cable lines. Whatever works I guess. :)