Question: Attic Antenna

I have a db2 in the attic. The attic is small. I pick up nearly 40 stations. Some stations are clear the majority of stations cut in and out and sometime the pixels get big fading in and out. Sometimes at the top i see pixes flash across the hdtv. I can get a db4 in my attic in a pinch. What antenna do you recommend for stronger signals for a small attic. My best reception is laying the db2 down on the insulation on its wired back. I could put a small boom in my attic, but can not rotate it much.

I am at area code 30115

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Which direction is your antenna pointed? I ran a generic TV Fool for your zip. Without an exact TV Fool for your location I can't tell you all that much. If you could run a report and post the URL (web address) for your report that would be great. Your exact location information will be hidden.

Thanks,
Dan

I am new at this, here is my address... It is pointed at the north star now, but laying on its back the head is pointed 300 degrees,

(Address deleted for security reasons)
Canton, GA 30115

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: billisnice,

I deleted your address to protect you from readers who do not need to know personal information.

Please use the link dkreichen1968 posted above and run your own TVFOOL antenna survey. Then, copy the resulting URL and post it here for us to study. That website will automatically conceal your personal information.

Regarding your signal reception and antenna choices, depending on your location it is possible you have too much signal strength, too many signal reflections or too much noise from a roof mounted air conditioner a block away from your home! Also, if there is HVAC ductwork in your attic, water pipes, or if you have a metal roof or foil-backed insulation, an attic mounted antenna may never work well for you and an outside installation is indicated.

Details of you attic, roof, insulation and your TVFOOL report is what we need next.

Jim

I have a shingle roof. The attic has insulation but the roof rafter not. No AC stuff in the attic. Sometime 90 % of my channels come in clear. When I had the DB2 in the bedroom 15 channels came in solid. The bedroom is two story. I would think the DB2 was facing 160 degrees.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
billisnice,

Is your attic insulation in the rafters foil-backed? If so, it is an unpredictable gigantic signal reflector and the only possible location for your antenna would be next to the south wall, putting the majority of the unintended reflector behind the antennas' screen. Even so, there's no guarantees it still won't interact.

Would it be possible to install your antenna outdoors? You have a very favorable TVFOOL report and I suspect mounting it outdoors might net many more stations. Please advise.

Jim

The attic is my only option. Subdivision covenant will not allow one outside. What is you best guess of my needs and i will get an antenna and try? The az direction to point my antenna? Has to be small I have a 4/12 pitch attic...

Insulation is paper back.

Thanks

Fringe Reception

Staff member
The attic is my only option. Subdivision covenant will not allow one outside. What is you best guess of my needs and i will get an antenna and try? The az direction to point my antenna? Has to be small I have a 4/12 pitch attic...

Insulation is paper back.

Thanks
Bill,

I have good news for you. Federal Law trumps subdivision covenants.

Your Government actually did something right, allowing you to install an outdoor antenna in spite of neighborhood or condominium restrictions as long as it physically fits within the rules. Because of its small size, your DB-2 qualifies.

Check this Federal Government link: FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Jim :thumb:

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Bill,

I have good news for you. Federal Law trumps subdivision covenants.

Your Government actually did something right, allowing you to install an outdoor antenna in spite of neighborhood or condominium restrictions as long as it physically fits within the rules. Because of its small size, your DB-2 qualifies.

Check this Federal Government link: FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Jim :thumb:
Actually, as I understand it, there is no restriction on the size of OTA antennas. 1 meter is the upper limit for Satellite dishes, so FTA KU-band dishes would be allowed, too.

Thanks, i listened to what you said about the building. The antenna was facing a HVAC gas pipe. I move it to the other side of the pipe and I now get around 45 stations and 5 music station. 90% of the stations have 2 bars or more.

Some of VHF stations are having problems stop and go problems. Is the DB2 rated for VHF? Do I need a different antenna for VHF?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
No, the DB2 is not rated for VHF. VHF antennas tend to be considerably larger. Antennas Direct has their C5 which is quite compact, which you could connect to the DB2 with a UHF VHF Splitter Joiner(UVSJ). Or you could use something like the HD-EZ or a RCA Suburban Mini Yagi Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mast: TV & Video , which I think the HD-EZ really is. Like Jim and MrPogi said, those covenants have been void since 1996. It is easier for the HOA to leave them on the books and not enforce them than to take them off. But, that restriction is illegal.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Like Jim and MrPogi said, those covenants have been void since 1996. It is easier for the HOA to leave them on the books and not enforce them than to take them off. But, that restriction is illegal.
I doubt many Home Owner Associations know about Federal Law superceding their local restrictions.
Many HOA's are operated by 'owners volunteers' who like to wave a piece of paper as their almighty badge
to control others.
:horse:

Jim

Last edited:
Would the HD-EZ or a RCA Suburban Mini Yagi Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mast: TV & Video work better with a preamp?

I may still go outside but the attic is so easy for me to crawl around without a ladder...lol...not sure yet. If i decide to go outside i will post photos about the house and ask for expert advice! Thanks for the info..

Thanks

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Bill,

An amplifier or preamplifier can be a double-edged sword: they amplify signals AND they amplify noise: even the best Commercial-Grade units add their own noise to a signal. I think your problems are based on antenna location and signal quality, not signal strengths.

Your TV is designed to work with a weak CLEAN signal, but all tuners have problems with "dirty" signals, weak or strong.

Jim

Which antenna has a higher db number? The HD-EZ or a RCA Suburban Mini Yagi Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mast? Which takes up the lest attic space? Due to the covenant i have to use a small antenna it if decide to move it outside.

I have learned so much...thanks

....I pick up nearly 40 stations.....My best reception is laying the db2 down on the insulation on its wired back.
On its back? That doesn't seem right, but picking up nearly 40 stations sounds good to me.

I am still learning...
You're doing fine; we all start as beginners.

What is the difference in real and virtual channels. My channel 5.1 is virtual channel 27?
It's the other way around; 5.1 is the virtual number that maintains the identity of the station before the transition to digital. Its signal is actually transmitted on real UHF channel 27. It used to be transmitted on real channel 5, which would require a large VHF antenna. Or, to put it another way, the virtual channel number maintains the identity of the station; the real channel number tells you what channel is used for transmission so that you will know what antenna is needed for that channel.

Look at your tvfool report and you will see two columns, one labeled Real and the other (Virt).

I move it to the other side of the pipe and I now get around 45 stations and 5 music station. 90% of the stations have 2 bars or more.
45 sounds even better.

Yes, it is important to find the best location for your antenna in the attic to get the best possible reception. For that, you will need some kind of signal strength indicator that you can see as you try different locations and antenna aim in the attic.

Your stations that are listed as 1Edge and 2Edge have terrain in the signal path which will cause changes in the reception according to changes in the weather; the reception will not be consistent for those channels.

Last edited:
Any cheap signal strength indicators? I have a VOM if i can convert it easily. Thanks

I am not sure which one to buy - EZ-HD or RCA ANT751 antenna. Denny says that the EZ-HD has 2.5 more db than the RCA. Is that correct?

Thanks