Avoid the magnavox

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Great review!

If you unplug the box by accident you have to go through the entire setup again.
Seems hard to believe that OTA box manufactures are not adding any type of ROM chip or some type of memory chip to fix this. Heck, even my stove will come on with the correct time after a power failure.

There are NO buttons on the box itself, meaning if you lose the remote, you are SCREWED. Unless you can find the same remote somewhere.
Universal remote will not work with it. (confirmed by a reviewer on walmart.com)
Great info. Again, how much did the manufature save with not adding buttons on the unit itself? Probably pennys?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Great info. Again, how much did the manufature save with not adding buttons on the unit itself? Probably pennys?
I can't imagine a lot of profit in an $40 OTA receiver. When the big stores can sell it for the same price as the $40 coupon, I'm thinking that the manufacures have cut some corners to keep the pricing down.

The biggest issue is no buttons on the box. What are people supposed to do if they lose the remote? They must have made it like this to see how much more money they can squeeze in.

jbondi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If this is the DTV converter box that Walmart is selling, I must say that it is junk! I just got a Zenith DTV converter box from Circuit City and it is great. I plan to buy another Zenith today!

yes it is the one walmart has, it sucks big time, but I'll keep it for a spare unit still. Might come in handy.

my ARTEC pulls in more channels then this one.

yes it is the one walmart has, it sucks big time, but I'll keep it for a spare unit still. Might come in handy.

my ARTEC pulls in more channels then this one.
the magavox is mainly for urban intercity use where transmitters are close and in one location for fringe and deep fringe areas it is not much and I have told my local walmart that they should not sell them in this area as we are deep fringe, but they say it is a good box, they also sell the rca which is better. but they push the magnavox must be a higher profit margin.;)

How's the Zoom function? on my Zenith while it's a great box any type of signal that shows up as 4:3 on the OSD is 'postage-stamped' which means if you have a 25" SDTV or a HDTV in SD-mode it will only be a 13" image in dead-center and it will say 'Aspect Ratio cannot be changed' which means i must live with 12" of my nice big screen dead-space.

I heard this box overcomes that by letting you zoom regardless of the signal mode, is this true? i want to know before wasting another $50 on a box with the same limitation.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Thanks for this. This is the one my sister saw today at Walmart and it was the only one they had. I'm not sure what she's going to do now. I'll be passing on this information to her, although she wasn't real interested in it anyway. She suspected that the low price was just a little too low.

I can't imagine a lot of profit in an $40 OTA receiver. When the big stores can sell it for the same price as the $40 coupon, I'm thinking that the manufacures have cut some corners to keep the pricing down.
Wrong, it's to keep the profitability abnormally high. If you meant wholesale pricing for retailers, then you're right. It sounds like its wholesale price is 2 and a half dollars each by the container-load. (one of those big trailer boxes you see going from the port.)

I plan to buy one on eBay, but I'm not spending more than $7 for THIS box plus shipping, without the coupons.

(by the way, I do have above average knowledge in PCB designing, assembly line construction, and know how to shop sourcebooks for parts. That's how I know these things are made ultra-cheap. )

Piggie

Super Moderator
(by the way, I do have above average knowledge in PCB designing, assembly line construction, and know how to shop sourcebooks for parts. That's how I know these things are made ultra-cheap. )
Spent years in electronics manufacturing myself.

I said back over on AVS over a year ago, the coupon program actually raised the price of the boxes.

Best Buy sells an Insignia (good box) for $59 and tax. With a coupon you lay down $25 or close. They get $20 of it before tax. This pays for buying the unit, and selling it to you. So the money you give them covers costs. The coupon money is gravy.

No I don't have the figures or inside information, just a knowledge of what it costs to build overseas and sell it here.

If there were no coupon program I really think the average converter box with competition we all would have paid about $25 with tax for the boxes.

Even look inside the DTVPal Plus, the best on the market in my opinion. It's even more compact with less parts inside than an Insignia. It was next generation so to speak. A cheap FM radio has more parts.

Someone talk me down, but I really think the entire coupon program turned into a fake nanny state for political reasons, raised the price of the boxes and charged the taxpayer for many of them.

I'll change my opinion. i am buying this box, from seeing my next-door neighbor bought one and it works great. i mean how many boxes can get a useable picture with only (get this) 15% signal strength?! (20% peak)

if the zoom is ok regardless of channel or broadcast spec i'd be happy with it, seeing as a good 45% of my channels come in all postage-stamped meaning i'm stuck watching 13" on a 25" TV.

As for being negative based on no buttons no the box, 1) there's a master 'off' button on the right hand side, 2) there's no buttons on a lot of CECBs, the DTVPal included. none at all on that one. doesn't everyone use a remote nowadays too?